Passenger Side Air Bag Sensor Replacement - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Passenger Side Air Bag Sensor Replacement

This short video should clear up some questions about replacing the passenger side air bar sensor.
Passenger Seat Air Bag Sensor.MOV - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
So Hoosier, I take it from your video ..... if my occupied passenger seat light does NOT illuminate, then the light sensor may be faulty or the air bag has a problem? Correct?

The mechanic shop, with test gear to test the air bag, informs me there is nothing wrong with the air bag's functionality. They quoted a repair cost of the status light, but thus far I have just trusted their word that the air bag will function. A light going on and off seems less than significant.

Your video does tell me what is actually supposed to be happening on the dash. Thanks for your effort.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybus View Post
So Hoosier, I take it from your video ..... if my occupied passenger seat light does NOT illuminate, then the light sensor may be faulty or the air bag has a problem? Correct?

The mechanic shop, with test gear to test the air bag, informs me there is nothing wrong with the air bag's functionality. They quoted a repair cost of the status light, but thus far I have just trusted their word that the air bag will function. A light going on and off seems less than significant.

Your video does tell me what is actually supposed to be happening on the dash. Thanks for your effort.

I don't think that the passenger side air bag is a problem. Most of what people here have experienced is either the light is malfunctioning or the seat sensor is faulty. I don't think that the passenger bag will deploy if the seat is not showing a passenger present. I am not sure how you would test the light to see if it is faulty.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

My video here was mostly to show that you don't have to visit a dealer to have the sensor reprogrammed. There was some discussion here on the forum about that. And also to show that most likely most models and years either Sky or Solstice would be a viable replacement. If you are experiencing a code or "light" in the DIC then you most likely have a problem with the sensor.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try turning on the car without the module connected. Get an airbag fault. Then see if you don't need the dealer to calibrate.

2007 Saturn Sky
Redline Dual Exhaust
Manual Transmission
Midnight Blue, Tan Top & Leather
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilipshen View Post
Try turning on the car without the module connected. Get an airbag fault. Then see if you don't need the dealer to calibrate.

I will try that today and report back.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

I unhooked the passenger side seat sensor and started vehicle. The "service air bag" warning light appeared in the DIC. I then shut off the vehicle and plugged the sensor back in restarted vehicle and no service air bag was showing. Restarted vehicle a couple of times more just to confirm, still no light.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did this! Bought the pad/sensor on ebay for 300.00 Installed myself in about 40 minutes. Had to go out and buy some new "christmas trees" that hold the seat cover to the frame. Took it to the local Chevy dealer (after greasing the skids with an email to the service manager). They charged me 110.00 to reflash/recalibrate.

Picked up the car with my wife and the "Passenger Airbag Off" message initially comes on, then changes to "On" after a few, long, seconds. Cool!

Now wife gives the green light for performance enhancements! Cooler!

Mike
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you got it fixed. Hang on to the receipts for everything just in case.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert-GT View Post
LOL Norbert...

From the last line of that link you posted:
Quote:
We present this information to inform, and persuade, hopefully providing momentum to ensure loss of life does not occur due to a faulty airbag sensor. The evidence is clear, as it has been documented carefully over 67 pages by Troy Lyman, that GM holds a responsibility to its customers over this safety issue.
I'm Troy Lyman. Es ist gut auch auf Deutschland gesehen!

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
So Troy, i read your 67 pages twice, but i couldn't find any proof that the a failed seat sensor mat is leading to the non-deployment of the airbag in the event of a collision. 🤔 (even not a single sentence!)

I state, that the both airbags still working with a broken passengers sensor mat.

____

Opel GT 2.0 Turbo

New German Forum & Wiki:
http://www.opel-gt-cabrio.de

New German Online Shop:
http://shop.opel-gt-forum.de

facebook
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
If the sensor mat doesn't detect a passenger, the passenger side airbag does not get turned on and therefore does not deploy in the event of a head-on collision that would normally cause passenger side airbag deployment.

The issue of whether the airbags deploy properly at all in any accident is a whole other debate that is still being hashed and unfortunately is not as easy (relatively speaking) to prove/disprove.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Very easy to replace. I just bought a pair of seats off eBay ($400, vs $350 for a sensor) and swapped it over. No reflash or recalibration necessary. Easiest way to do it is to unbolt and take the seat out.

Sent from an abacus
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by german gt View Post
So Troy, i read your 67 pages twice, but i couldn't find any proof that the a failed seat sensor mat is leading to the non-deployment of the airbag in the event of a collision. �� (even not a single sentence!)

I state, that the both airbags still working with a broken passengers sensor mat.
If you read the report and look through the supporting documents, you'll see that out of all the recalls mentioned, BMW, Mini, Kia, Suzuki, and GM, and the reports from Kappa owners...there has only been ONE injury due to a non-deployed passenger air bag because the sensor mat was broken. (It was in the BMW documentation.)

The reason I state in that document that a defective mat may result in non-deployment of the passenger airbag is because the manufacturers' in their official responses to the NHTSA state that. GM, BMW, Mini, and I believe Suzuki ALL claim that if the sensor mat is broken, the passenger airbag will not deploy.

With that kind of statement coming from the manufacturer, I'm not sure you NEED proof that it won't deploy if the mat is damaged. That the manufacturer believes this to be so is reason enough to properly address the sensor mat problem.

That is the purpose of that document...to get the NHTSA to open an investigation into the issue and I believe what has been stated by the manufacturers and NHTSA's data is sufficient to prove an investigation needs to be done.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 04-08-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.