Saturn Sky Forum banner

QuickJack BL-5000

9K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Robotech 
#1 ·
This thread will be document my experiences with the QuickJack BL-5000. Please keep the "I don't trust it" comments to yourself if you don't have a suggestion for how to improve it.

QuickJack BL-5000

Current Instruction Manual:
http://www.quickjack.com/products/www.quickjack.com/BL-3500-5000-Manual-REV-C-WEB.pdf

YouTube Videos:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=QuickJack

Mine arrived in three boxes on a pallet. The two small and one large box have ALMOST everything you'll need to assemble the QuickJack. Before you get started make sure you have 2qts of transmission fluid and thread sealant. Teflon tape will work fine but I like this stuff better - Thread Sealants : Permatex® High Temperature Thread Sealant

You'll receive an instruction manual in one of the boxes but be sure to check the website first in case it has been updated. The date is on the first page at the top right. The format looks like this: MAN REV C 02-27-15

I pulled everything out of the boxes and spread it out on the garage floor:

I had a few quarts of Red Line and Royal Purple ATF to choose from. I went with the Royal Purple since one of them was already open.

And all assembled:

Once everything is together you'll need to put a LOT of weight on the jacks so you can break in the seals of the hydraulic cylinders. You can use your car for this but I decided to use 4 half barrel kegs filled with water, a 100lb anvil, 120lbs of dog food, a 40lb bag of water softener salt and myself (210lb) for a total of close to 1025lbs. I raised and lowered the jacks a few inches more each time.

During raising I noticed the one side was always about an inch or two higher than the other side. I'm not sure it's an issue but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I put it up and down about a dozen times to get the seals a little broken in. This is as far as I got today. My first impressions are good. I think this will save me a ton of time trying to lift the Sky. I"m trying to come up with how and where to store everything when it's not in use. I might try to hang the jacks on the wall and get a plastic container to store the pump and hos I es in when it's not in use.

Stay tuned folks, I'll update this thread when I use the QuickJack to lift the Sky or decide how I will store it. It'll probably be next Monday when I raise the car since that's my day off when the rest of the family is at work and school.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
They aren't spaced apart at a specific distance, they're just sitting in the garage where I moved them after assembly.

#8 ·
A few pics of the Sky on the QuickJack. I should be getting it back up tomorrow and I'll take a video.

First, I had to separate the dial hoses at the one end to help them reach each side of the car. I also put a "D" and "P" on the jacks to identify the passenger and drivers side.

The front jack points were east to the the jack on, the rear.....I just guessed honestly. There was plenty of room under the car and between the hacks to move around on a creeper.

#9 ·
I'll try to get some videos posted tomorrow when I do the swaybars. I used it again tonight to install my new Solo catless DP and WERKS backbone and it's awesome! It's quick and easy to setup and there's plenty of room to move around with a creeper.

I measured it to show the width between the 2 jacks:

That's 38"

#14 · (Edited)
#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warnings guys. I can try lifting from the jack points by placing the jacks perpendicular to the car and see if they line up with the lift points on the jacks but this will really make working and moving around under the car almost impossible. It would however not really make a difference for oil changes and tire rotations which is the majority of the utility now that I'm about done with under car mods for a little while.

#17 ·
My BIGGEST concern for the OP (and others here I'm sure) is something giving way while he's under the car, :willy: other than that I'm glad he's happy with it, but I don't think its for me. And the money spent, just for occasional use doesn't make sense to me. :huh: But hey its his mullah and his life, as long as he's happy AND safe, that's all I care about..:cheers::cool:

#18 ·
Thank you for your concern. Those are considerations I made when choosing to go this route.

I still have a personal goal of finding a way to improve upon the current design. There's always SOMETHING that can be improved.

#19 ·
I know... necromancy...

Any more news on this Vinnie?

--

And response to a few comments...

It has mechanical locks that engage as it lifts (like a full scale lift would.

I can see this being super helpful for people who:
- Autocross and are constantly adjusting things and swapping wheels.
- Have multiple vehicles and constantly seem to be under a vehicle. :banghead:

Yep, seems pricey... maybe 2-3x as much as quality jack and stands... 4-5x as much as a cheapo set... but much less than installing a full on lift system. :thumbs:

#20 ·
Not much to say since. They've been tucked away in the corner since doing the suspension stuff. I got my new brakes in so as soon as the motivation comes in I'll be using them again. THey are spendy, I'll give them that, but I think they're quality and should last.

I remember working on my GTP all the time and hated having to get all 4 corners up in the air because it took forever.....not anymore

#22 ·
OK, I have a 5000 (more or less) pound lift that I purchased from a garage going out of business. I will sell it for $1000 but you have to come take it down and haul it off.

Used it for 5 years but dont need it any more. Needs some work, but still strong and capable.

#23 ·
Blue RL, might be easier (and get it more exposure) to post this in the for sale section. Also may want to post pictures and further information such as how it mounts and other necessary requirements (220v? 110V? etc) it would need to own said lift.

I tell you, If I was closer and had the roof height in my garage for this I'd be all over it.

#24 ·
I tell you, If I was closer and had the roof height in my garage for this I'd be all over it.
Man, that's one of the design things I miss about our Cali house!

It seems like most places up here go 2 story an use the space over the garage for a 2nd floor... so... really short :/

I can't even use the overhead storage racks we have because then I would never be able to pull in the Tundra or Expy. :|

The Cali house??? Sheesh... I wanna say 12'?

I was able to hang the racks at their lowest hang and still had a good 2' over the Tundra (maybe 1' over the opened garage door) :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.