Security System Failed - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

User Tag List

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Dark Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Security System Failed

Well, unfortunately with my retirement to NW Arkansas and living way, way back on a dirt road my fabulous machine doesn't get out much. I try to start it regularly and drive it around the pasture but sometimes the farm work gets in the way. As such the battery died. It was the original 2008 factory battery. So I replaced it and she perked right up and was her old self. At least that is, until I hit the lock, alarm buttons on the key fob. NOTHING! Not one attempt to lock unlock. Thinking maybe the battery in the fob was also dead or weak I tried the spare and again nothing happened. SO.........is there something that also needs to be reset after a battery change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dark Sky
Dark Sky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portland, Indiana
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
Well, unfortunately with my retirement to NW Arkansas and living way, way back on a dirt road my fabulous machine doesn't get out much. I try to start it regularly and drive it around the pasture but sometimes the farm work gets in the way. As such the battery died. It was the original 2008 factory battery. So I replaced it and she perked right up and was her old self. At least that is, until I hit the lock, alarm buttons on the key fob. NOTHING! Not one attempt to lock unlock. Thinking maybe the battery in the fob was also dead or weak I tried the spare and again nothing happened. SO.........is there something that also needs to be reset after a battery change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dark Sky
You are most likely experiencing the same issue many of the 08 Sky and Solstice owners have. When your battery was dead it allowed the RCDLR to loose it's programing. You might also check your TPM settings in the DIC you most likely have dashes in place of the numbers that should be there. Unfortunately the only cure is a reprogram of the RCDLR and that will require a trip to the dealer.

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/

Registration 2017 NASSAM here: http://66.132.1.27/reglist.asp
Hoosier GXP is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Portland, Indiana
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Here is the TSB info:


Here is a bulletin from GM to reprogram the keyless entry module for them being inop.



#08-03-16-001B : Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes on Al Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR) - (Jul 31, 2008)

Subject: Key Fobs Inoperative, TPM System Not Reading Correctly - Dashes On All Four Tire Readings, DTCs C0775, C0569, B3105 Set, Unable to Program TPM Sensors (Reprogram RCDLR)

Models: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR, Malibu
2008 Pontiac G5, G6, Solstice
2008 Saturn AURA, SKY



This bulletin is being revised to update the Important statement to reflect the new direction to no longer contact TCSC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-03-16-001A (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the key fobs are inoperative or that the TPM system is showing dashes as the reading for all four tires.

Technicians may find DTCs C0775, C0569 and B3105 set simultaneously in the RCDLR module.

In addition, the technicians may find Tire Pressure Monitoring sensors are unable to be programmed to the vehicle by adding or releasing pressure to the tire while the vehicles in the TPM learn mode.

Cause

These conditions may be caused by the following:

The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.
The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.
Correction

Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS). As always, make sure your Tech 2 is updated with the latest software.

Important: If the Tech 2 could not establish communication with the RCDLR AND the programming event ended with error, attempt to reprogram in Service Programming System (SPS) by selecting "Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (TSB 08-03-16-001) with E4399 error -- Pass Thru Only".

Once the RCDLR module has been reflashed with the latest software and calibrations, the following may also be necessary:

Relearn all keyless entry transmitters.
Reconfigure the tire pressure placards and the tire type.
Relearn the tire pressure sensors.

Refer to SI for the procedures to relearn transmitters, placard and tire type configuration and tire pressure sensor learn.
lorennerol likes this.

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/

Registration 2017 NASSAM here: http://66.132.1.27/reglist.asp
Hoosier GXP is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:08 PM
Senior Member
 
44thSKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: FH, AZ
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Hey, Dark Sky ...... did you live in Tucson, AZ a couple of years back? There was a black SKY with vanity plate 1DRKSKY at the Tubac, AZ, Santa Cruz County CarNuts show in January 2015. Maybe your handle is just a coincidence?? It was a very nice unit and won the class, as I recall.
44thSKY is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Taz
Member
 
Taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Cypress, CA
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier GXP View Post
You are most likely experiencing the same issue many of the 08 Sky and Solstice owners have. When your battery was dead it allowed the RCDLR to loose it's programing. You might also check your TPM settings in the DIC you most likely have dashes in place of the numbers that should be there. Unfortunately the only cure is a reprogram of the RCDLR and that will require a trip to the dealer.
Is this an early 2008 issue that they fixed? Mine has a build date of mid October 2007 and I've had the battery out of mine and/or disconnected and had it die several times before I bought a new battery and have never had an issue with any of the systems?
Taz is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
JohnWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,526
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I have seen this referred to as an "early 2008" problem.

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
JohnWR is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
lorennerol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 1,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to lorennerol Send a message via MSN to lorennerol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Is this an early 2008 issue that they fixed? Mine has a build date of mid October 2007 and I've had the battery out of mine and/or disconnected and had it die several times before I bought a new battery and have never had an issue with any of the systems?
Having had this problem with mine, I'm quite certain that there is some kind of onboard backup battery that will prevent the problem from occurring unless it also goes dead.

In my case, the battery had been changed in the car without issue. I left the door open after working on it and when I realized what I'd done, several days later, the battery was flat dead and had been for some time. At that point the fobs didn't work and the TPMS was non-functional.

FWIW the dealer charged me to fix this, though after some fussing the gave me a bit of a break. Charging customers to fix as-shipped software bugs sets a very, very bad precedent IMO. Creates a disincentive for manufacturers to get the code right in the first place.

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07
lorennerol is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
Having had this problem with mine, I'm quite certain that there is some kind of onboard backup battery that will prevent the problem from occurring unless it also goes dead.

In my case, the battery had been changed in the car without issue. I left the door open after working on it and when I realized what I'd done, several days later, the battery was flat dead and had been for some time. At that point the fobs didn't work and the TPMS was non-functional.

FWIW the dealer charged me to fix this, though after some fussing the gave me a bit of a break. Charging customers to fix as-shipped software bugs sets a very, very bad precedent IMO. Creates a disincentive for manufacturers to get the code right in the first place.
DaveOC, have you had the TSB performed that Hoosier posted? I only wonder if the dealerships are missing that and not performing the update as required. If it was a secondary battery issue...like an on board battery designed to retain memory in the event of a power loss like a dead battery (similar to the Bios battery on a computer motherboard)...I would think it would be an issue well beyond the 2008 model year since that kind of issue wouldn't be detected until long after the car is out of production...years at least.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:31 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
DaveOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Running Wisconsin
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
DaveOC, have you had the TSB performed that Hoosier posted? I only wonder if the dealerships are missing that and not performing the update as required. If it was a secondary battery issue...like an on board battery designed to retain memory in the event of a power loss like a dead battery (similar to the Bios battery on a computer motherboard)...I would think it would be an issue well beyond the 2008 model year since that kind of issue wouldn't be detected until long after the car is out of production...years at least.
Why are you asking me? I have a 2006, which doesn't have this issue, also doesn't have TPMS.

I suspect that dealerships don't know about the TSB.



.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
DaveOC is online now  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Why are you asking me? I have a 2006, which doesn't have this issue, also doesn't have TPMS.

I suspect that dealerships don't know about the TSB.



.
Because for some damn reason I got you an lorennerol confused. LOL Don't ask...long day.

Even thought he dealerships know about it, that doesn't always mean they do their due diligence, research the car, and apply it. Not really asking to see if they knew but rather a verification that what we assume has been done really HAS been done.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:33 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
DaveOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Running Wisconsin
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Because for some damn reason I got you an lorennerol confused. LOL Don't ask...long day.
That's kind of what I had imagined. Or, just one of those everyday brain-fxxts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Even thought he dealerships know about it, that doesn't always mean they do their due diligence, research the car, and apply it. Not really asking to see if they knew but rather a verification that what we assume has been done really HAS been done.
No telling what dealerships come up with, or how they come up with it. Most of 'em are just full of it! (Sorry, couldn't resist, it's been a long, long day of associating with people that just sometimes don't have a clue, and they all were in the same meeting.)

Moving on . . . .

.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
DaveOC is online now  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Senior Member
 
lorennerol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 1,437
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to lorennerol Send a message via MSN to lorennerol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Because for some damn reason I got you an lorennerol confused. LOL Don't ask...long day.

Even thought he dealerships know about it, that doesn't always mean they do their due diligence, research the car, and apply it. Not really asking to see if they knew but rather a verification that what we assume has been done really HAS been done.
1. I think there is a backup battery for the electronics that goes dead after the car battery has been completely discharged for a while. This is why I could change the car battery without having the problem, but when the main battery went dead for a couple DAYS, the fobs and TPMS lost their minds. 30 minutes, no problem- the backup battery for the electronics covers it. 2 days? Alzheimer's.

Edit to add: I suspect the fix is to write whatever data was getting lost into NVRAM instead of volatile RAM, so it's not lost during an extended power outage.

2. The dealerships are clueless about this TSB. In my case I told the service writer the symptoms and then handed him the TSB:
"Do this, please. This is the fix for the problem I have."
"We'll investigate."
"No. Don't investigate. Don't lift the car. Just do what the TSB says. Nothing else, nothing less."
"Right. We'll look into it."
"NO. JUST. DO. WHAT. THIS. SAYS."
"Well, uh, I'm not sure that will fix it."
----continues for five more minutes, I won't bore you---

2008 Red Line
Chili Pepper with special order red/black leather
Five speed
Chrome wheels
Monsoon stereo w/ USB input
Custom lighted Windrestrictor
GMPP ECM upgrade
Norm's custom rear facia
Ordered: 6/23/07
Born: 7/16/07
Del: 8/24/07

Last edited by lorennerol; 05-16-2017 at 10:26 PM.
lorennerol is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
 
Robotech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 7,721
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
1. I think there is a backup battery for the electronics that goes dead after the car battery has been completely discharged for a while. This is why I could change the car battery without having the problem, but when the main battery went dead for a couple DAYS, the fobs and TPMS lost their minds. 30 minutes, no problem- the backup battery for the electronics covers it. 2 days? Alzheimer's.

Edit to add: I suspect the fix is to write whatever data was getting lost into NVRAM instead of volatile RAM, so it's not lost during an extended power outage.
That makes a lot of sense. Bet you're on to something there.

Quote:
2. The dealerships are clueless about this TSB. In my case I told the service writer the symptoms and then handed him the TSB:
"Do this, please. This is the fix for the problem I have."
"We'll investigate."
"No. Don't investigate. Don't lift the car. Just do what the TSB says. Nothing else, nothing less."
"Right. We'll look into it."
"NO. JUST. DO. WHAT. THIS. SAYS."
"Well, uh, I'm not sure that will fix it."
----continues for five more minutes, I won't bore you---
And this is why I mentioned to have the dealer double check to make sure the TSB is done. There are way too many stories of this stuff getting overlooked for me to be comfortable with ASSuME-ing it's done.


V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Robotech is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
DaveOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Running Wisconsin
Posts: 2,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
1. I think there is a backup battery for the electronics that goes dead after the car battery has been completely discharged for a while. This is why I could change the car battery without having the problem, but when the main battery went dead for a couple DAYS, the fobs and TPMS lost their minds. 30 minutes, no problem- the backup battery for the electronics covers it. 2 days? Alzheimer's.

Edit to add: I suspect the fix is to write whatever data was getting lost into NVRAM instead of volatile RAM, so it's not lost during an extended power outage.
There is NVRAM in the BCM which is where this type of information should be stored, and I highly suspect that this is what the reprogramming in the TSB info does. To be best of my knowledge, there is no backup battery in the system.

@TomatoSoup

Care to comment?



.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
DaveOC is online now  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 PM
Senior Member
 
TomatoSoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 3,175
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
I have no idea about the back-up battery idea, but that doesn't sound correct to me (Why would they install one? Where would it be?). If anything, I would think there is just a large capacitance somewhere that keeps the RAM 'active' for a while. But a couple of days is a stretch I would think.

My understanding of the TSB 'fix' was a re-program of the RCLDR itself, not the BCM. This per (from the TSB):

Quote:
Cause
These conditions may be caused by the following:

The RCDLR may lose its transmitter and tire pressure monitoring data from its memory if a low voltage condition occurs on the vehicle.

The ability for TPM learning by adding or releasing pressure to the tire has been disabled in the RCDLR.

Correction
Reprogram the RCDLR with an updated software calibration to address both issues listed above. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB using Service Programming System (SPS).

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
TomatoSoup is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome