Sequential Turn Signal Help - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum
 

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 393
My Photos: (0)
Sequential Turn Signal Help

Does any one have the instructions for the GM Raodster sequential tail lights? Or can tell me what wire goes where?I recieved my sequential turn signal units from GM Roadster. Unfortunatly and unlike what the web site says, no "detailed instructions" were included. Just the parts in a ziplock bag. I am on the Web Electric site trying to find the proper unit, but the STS 2 doesn't match the discription. The STS-2 does not have a green wire. The STS 1 has what I have plus a blue wire. Here is what I have:
-Green wire, short with a butt splice
-Red
-White
-Black


Driver's Light assembly
Outside
-Black
-Red/Blue
-Green

Inside
-Black
-Red/blue
-Green/white

I appreciate any help.
__________________
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
dipolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-09-2010, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
GaryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fairhope, Al
Posts: 2,002
My Photos: (0)
I checked mine. It only has 3 wires, black, red and white. The black wire is spliced into the black wire on the inside light. The red wire is spliced into the green wire on the inside light. The green/white wire on the outside light is cut and the supply side has a wire nut on it. The end of the green/white wire that goes to the outside light is then connected to the white wire. I'm assuming that the wire on yours with the butt splice is not used. Hope this helps. Also, what you're calling outside are the colors of my inside and what you're calling inside are the colors of my outside.
__________________
07Silver Pearl
Black/Black leather
LSD
CD/MP3 XM satellite
5 speed manual
VIN#1745
Fiamm horn
Magnaflow Quad Tip Exhaust
GMPP CAI Kazera KZ-J rims

08 Carbon Flash
DDM Backbone brace
Mach exhaust

Last edited by GaryH; 05-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DFW SKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 159
My Photos: (1)
Mine also had the extra green wire on the module and I too wondered what to do with it as it isn't pictured or mentioned in the instructions. I followed the instructions and just taped of that extra wire. Looks great.

As I had seen on the other posts, it is somewhat of a challenge to remove the tail lights - as well as getting them back in - but taking my time, I had both completed in about 30 minutes.

I'd suggest once you have the wires clipped and attached, that you plug the light in and test it before you finish with any other electrical tape or re-attach the light. While my right side worked 1st time, the left side required a second run throuugh of vampire clips and then they worked.

If you need the full instructions, pm me your email and I'll send them to you.
__________________
Johnathon
2009 Ruby Red SE
"GET AWY"
Debadged
FIAMM Freeway Blaster Horn
Opel GT Antennae
Side Marker Turn Signals
Flash 2 Pass
3rd Brake Pulse
Sequential Turn Signals
Opel GT Reverse/Fog (as 4th brake light w/pulse option)
DFW SKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MARVIC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Florida
Posts: 4,760
My Photos: (0)
How come no-one can post a schematic drawing of the sequential tail lights on here for the guy, especially when the instructions don't come with his kit.....
MARVIC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DURAMAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ravensdale WA
Posts: 924
My Photos: (0)
The extra wire is for a 3 light system and is not used.
__________________
2008 2.4 AUTO MIDNGT BLUE BLK TOP BLK LTHR gone but not forgotten.
2008 Vette Jetstream Blue
2003 Silverado Arrival Blue
1998 Vette Black
DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
DFW SKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 159
My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVIC 1 View Post
How come no-one can post a schematic drawing of the sequential tail lights on here for the guy, especially when the instructions don't come with his kit.....
I offered to send them, but since you commented here's the text from the instructions. There isn't a schematic with the instructions which might be why no one posted one.

Saturn Sky Sequential Turn Signal’s


1) Remove both tail light units from vehicle, you will need to remove the two 7mm
screws. Note: There are pop rivets that also hold the units in place, gently pull
directly up to dislocate the rivets.
2) Take the taillights into a more comfortable work area.
3) The GMR-STS units have three wires, connect them as follows:
a. Using one of the provided vampire clips, connect the black wire from the
GMR-STS unit to the Black ground wire on the tail light unit.
b. Using a vampire clip, connect the red wire from the GMR-STS unit to the
green wire on the inside turn signal bulb.
c. Cut the green wire on the outside turn signal bulb and connect the white
wire from the GMR-STS unit to this green wire. The white wire will now
supply power to this bulb.
4) Take the other side of the cut green wire and secure it so that it will not touch bare
metal. Do this using a wire nut, electrical tape, or shrink tape.
5) Tuck all of the wires neatly in place and secure the GMR-STS unit out of the way.
6) Repeat this process on both tail lights.
7) Take the taillights back out to your SKY and reconnect them.
8) Make sure all the plugs are well connected and the screws are tight.
You Done! Test your new turn signals.
Trouble Shooting:
Q) Only the inside bulb is flashing and the outside bulb does nothing.
A) Double check your connections, especially the vampire clips, they are tricky to
master.
__________________
Johnathon
2009 Ruby Red SE
"GET AWY"
Debadged
FIAMM Freeway Blaster Horn
Opel GT Antennae
Side Marker Turn Signals
Flash 2 Pass
3rd Brake Pulse
Sequential Turn Signals
Opel GT Reverse/Fog (as 4th brake light w/pulse option)
DFW SKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MARVIC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Florida
Posts: 4,760
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW SKY View Post
I offered to send them, but since you commented here's the text from the instructions. There isn't a schematic with the instructions which might be why no one posted one.
Very Good DFW SKY
Now the guy has the instructions (that should of been sent with his kit) to work with....
MARVIC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JRinKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,968
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
MARVIC 1 : Very Good DFW SKY
Now the guy has the instructions (that should of been sent with his kit) to work with....
Aside from the "You've never worked on a car so I have to tell you everything" bits, isn't this exactly the same information that GaryH posted ?
__________________
John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MARVIC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Florida
Posts: 4,760
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Aside from the "You've never worked on a car so I have to tell you everything" bits, isn't this exactly the same information that GaryH posted ?
The guy bought a kit that has to be connected to some type of an electrical wiring, you figure they'll send you some instructions.....

What's this all about:
"You've never worked on a car so I have to tell you everything"
MARVIC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 393
My Photos: (0)
Thanks guys for the instructions and help. I did get an email from Martin about 2 hours later. By then I had figured it all out. After looking at the web electric web site I finally just used the instructions for the STS1 and ignored everything that didn't apply. Basically I guessed (educated) which wire was what and actually got it right the first time.

Gary: The outside inside light wires were backwards when I took them out compared to your set up. I hooked them up as they were when I took it apart, and they flashed from outside in. I just switched the bulbs around instead of rewiring it.

Green wire with the but splice is covered in the STS1 instructions. I tapped it off.


Thanks again everyone. With the post up there shouldn't be anymore problems for folks in the future.
__________________
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
dipolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JRinKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,968
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
MARVIC 1 : The guy bought a kit that has to be connected to some type of an electrical wiring, you figure they'll send you some instructions.....
Yes. The insructions should certainly have been sent with the kit. Most manufacturers/resellers also post the instructions on their website to a) give you an idea about what is involved before you buy and b) give you a backup incase you lose the instructions or they get left out of the package. Some post it instead of sending them to save the cost of the paper and to eliminate the risk of not sending them.
Quote:
What's this all about:
"You've never worked on a car so I have to tell you everything"
Read GaryH's post: Connect this to this and that to that.

Now read DFW SKY's post of the actual instructions. The technical part is the same.

My comment was based on the fact that you ignored GaryH's post as being inadequate compared to DFW SKY's. The only real difference is that it assumes that you know that you have to take the lights out first, and that you have to use the vampire clips to make the connections.
__________________
John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
GaryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fairhope, Al
Posts: 2,002
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipolley View Post
Thanks guys for the instructions and help. I did get an email from Martin about 2 hours later. By then I had figured it all out. After looking at the web electric web site I finally just used the instructions for the STS1 and ignored everything that didn't apply. Basically I guessed (educated) which wire was what and actually got it right the first time.

Gary: The outside inside light wires were backwards when I took them out compared to your set up. I hooked them up as they were when I took it apart, and they flashed from outside in. I just switched the bulbs around instead of rewiring it.

Green wire with the but splice is covered in the STS1 instructions. I tapped it off.


Thanks again everyone. With the post up there shouldn't be anymore problems for folks in the future.
I bought mine at nationals last year in Denver. So I didn't install them myself. They may have swapped the inside and outside bulbs like you did, I'm not sure. The main thing is you got it working.
__________________
07Silver Pearl
Black/Black leather
LSD
CD/MP3 XM satellite
5 speed manual
VIN#1745
Fiamm horn
Magnaflow Quad Tip Exhaust
GMPP CAI Kazera KZ-J rims

08 Carbon Flash
DDM Backbone brace
Mach exhaust
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
MARVIC 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Florida
Posts: 4,760
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
My comment was based on the fact that you ignored GaryH's post as being inadequate compared to DFW SKY's. The only real difference is that it assumes that you know that you have to take the lights out first, and that you have to use the vampire clips to make the connections.
First of all JR I didn't "ignored" anything but I did noticed that a member (dipolley) here received a kit with no instructions. So I posted a message on here if anyone had a schematic to post so they could help the guy out, that's all..
Then came another member (DFW SKY) and post instructions that would help out dipolley....
I didn't know the seller of these sequential tail light gadget had the instruction on their web-site...
Never heard of or received an item with out instructions... Just the other day received a mirror for my passenger side visor and it had instructions "clean visor, peel off 3M tape backing and stick to visor". Even a minute thing like that brings instructions..... Don't know who GaryH is and don't know anything about "GaryH" post......
Also:
YOU left out that maybe the seller was to lazy to print out the instructions.....
Have a nice day!
MARVIC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
GaryH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fairhope, Al
Posts: 2,002
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
Aside from the "You've never worked on a car so I have to tell you everything" bits, isn't this exactly the same information that GaryH posted ?
JR, I see you're going to Canton. I'm looking foward to meeting you.
__________________
07Silver Pearl
Black/Black leather
LSD
CD/MP3 XM satellite
5 speed manual
VIN#1745
Fiamm horn
Magnaflow Quad Tip Exhaust
GMPP CAI Kazera KZ-J rims

08 Carbon Flash
DDM Backbone brace
Mach exhaust
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
JRinKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 2,968
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
MARVIC 1 : First of all JR I didn't "ignored" anything but I did noticed that a member (dipolley) here received a kit with no instructions. So I posted a message on here if anyone had a schematic to post so they could help the guy out, that's all..
Then came another member (DFW SKY) and post instructions that would help out dipolley....
In post number two of this thread, GaryH told the original poster which wires connected together. That is the post you ignored, or maybe, never read.
Quote:
I didn't know the seller of these sequential tail light gadget had the instruction on their web-site...
Never heard of or received an item with out instructions... Just the other day received a mirror for my passenger side visor and it had instructions "clean visor, peel off 3M tape backing and stick to visor". Even a minute thing like that brings instructions.....
The GMR site does not have instructions posted. My statement was that many resellers and/or manufacturers post instruction to cover just this type of situation.
Quote:
Don't know who GaryH is and don't know anything about "GaryH" post......
The second post in this thread was by GaryH, in which he told the original poster which wires went where.
Quote:
Also:
YOU left out that maybe the seller was to lazy to print out the instructions.....
Have a nice day!
I think that I did suggest that that could be the case, and thank you, I will have a nice day.
Quote:
GaryH : JR, I see you're going to Canton. I'm looking foward to meeting you.
I look forward to meeting you, as well.
__________________
John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:35 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.