Surface Rust on New rear Caliper bracket - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Surface Rust on New rear Caliper bracket

This really is minor, but I just wanted to get someone else's opinion here - When I bought my car, the dealer I had bought it from had replaced the rear calipers before selling it according to the service records. Then I had to have one of the rear calipers replaced again, because the parking break let go in my driveway (trying not to think about that frustration)

Long story short - it seems that on one side of the car it has the original caliper bracket and they just replaced the caliper itself. On the other side (drivers) which is the side that was replaced for a 2nd time, it looks like it has a new bracket along with the caliper.

What has me a little upset is that I noticed that the new caliper bracket is surface rusting like crazy, so it's obvious that it was not coated or painted like all the others on the car - like something you'd buy at a 3rd party parts store. This car is garaged and has only been driven in light rain a few times aside from sitting outside in the rain a few times since I bought it in October. The caliper itself is fine - obviously painted, as well as all the others on the car. Its just the bracket that's surface rusting and an obvious eye sore.

Am I just crazy and should I suck it up and take it apart myself or ask the dealer to fix it? What would you do if it was your car?
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would approach the dealer about it and see what they say. It can't hurt anything. If you have everything right and they are really a good dealership, they will admit to putting on an inferior part and should want to fix it. IMHO
skybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

^^GFL those dealers are few and far between.

I would take it off, use some sand paper and scotch brite to get the rust removed and paint it with some ceramic based paint that is rated to take 500 degress. Should be good to go and you can get both sides to match that way!
miller11386 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
^^GFL those dealers are few and far between.

I would take it off, use some sand paper and scotch brite to get the rust removed and paint it with some ceramic based paint that is rated to take 500 degress. Should be good to go and you can get both sides to match that way!

Yeah, that's a good idea - The other side is a little of an eye sore as well since the caliper is brand new and the bracket looks dull/discolored. I have the proper caliper paint, since I do many brake jobs for friends, neighbors, etc and I can't stand seeing rusty brakes, rotors, etc when people install new parts that are unfinished metal.

It just bothers me I have to back in behind a dealer after they did warranty repairs. I will show it to them when I bring it in for it's first oil change in the next week or two. Argh.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Is the bracket an item that would even be available at an auto parts store? I would have thought that would be a dealer only item.

Worse comes to worse you could always get some G2 caliper paint and go to town painting everything so it's uniform and the rust issue will be gone.

Last edited by Sly Bob; 01-18-2013 at 03:01 AM.
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
Is the bracket an item that would even be available at an auto parts store? I would have thought that would be a dealer only item.

Worse comes to worse you could always get some G3 calliper paint and go to town painting everything so it's uniform and the rust issue will be gone.
I would have thought it would be dealer only as well - makes me wonder if it was a refurb caliper with a stripped down bracket or something. Really not what I would expect from a dealer anyway when paying a premium.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Doubt you'll get any sympathy over an aesthetic issue - they fixed the problem and unless they scratched your car or crushed your rocker panel, they aren't going to care that a part they supplied doesn't match the finish of the other side. Their inevitable response will be - that's what GM is supplying now.

Hope I'm wrong for your sake but I wouldn't bet on it.
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion