Saturn Sky Forum banner

Technical Issues

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  TomatoSoup 
#1 ·
This is my first time posting, so please be patient with me. I am the proud owner of a 2009 saturn sky. Yesterday my radio stopped working, there is no sound for the signal lights ( although they are working properly) the speedomoter arm is going up and down and the lights on the dash flash intermittedly ( seatbelt,oil etc) Please help!! I have checked the radio fuse and is was not burnt.

#2 ·
Is it the original battery? Our cars do some truely wierd things when the batteries go bad. Car may start fine, or start sometimes, but the electrics can go really wonky. You could get it checked. Unfortunately, some have found they check out good, but are still bad.

Otherwise, another issue that has been seen is faulty fusebox circuit board under the hood, or loose fusebox harness connector. Good luck.

Oh, and what's this I hear about your husband kissing all the girls? ;)

#4 ·
First suggestion is take it to your service provider and have them check it out. If the radio is not functioning then they have a concrete failure to address and that will hopefully lead them to a complete diagnosis.

If that does not work for you let us know and we can suggest other courses of action.:grouphug:

#6 ·
The sound for the turn indicator lights plays through the stereo speakers. No stereo, no turn indicator sounds.

#9 ·
lorennerol : Back in the olden days the relay made the clicking sound. Nowadays we gotta use the stereo to fake it.
That's called progress!

There have been cases of grounding problems causing odd behavior. The most frequent culprit being a groud screw on the right-side frame rail just about even with the radiator.

#10 ·
John, Rob, Matt, Tomato Soup:

Good afternoon! My 2007 Redline is having a wiring issue; whereby, it starts sporatically. Battery is good and everything lights up like it is going to start, but fails to initiate the starter. GM hasn't been able to figure it out since it doesn't throw a code. They checked the starter and its connections. They have been through the fuse box and fuse block and still can't find anything. Of course it never happens when I take to the dealer.

Have any of you had to change out the fuse block or heard of any other causes for this type of behavior? Based on an earlier post, I did check the ground wire at the front of the frame and all was well with it.

Kind of at a loss. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Dave

#11 · (Edited)
Could be a bad starter motor... the contacts could be futzed at one part of the armature. Just depends on what position the starter armature stops after the last start, whether contact is made next time you try to start.

I do remember a thread with this issue, either here or in the Solstice forum. Don't recall the outcome though.

UPDATE: Also found this... http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/starting-troubles-fixed-70271/

And here was the thread I was thinking of: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/dead-spot-when-trying-start-69036/

Also this: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/strange-problem-no-start-electrical-issues-41764/

(NOTE: google search is your friend!)

#12 ·
Cracked Fuse Block

There were at least a small number of reports of a cracked fuse block - though if memory serves it was mostly on the 2007s - can cause a wide range of hard to diagnose problems.

#13 ·
Intermittent Starting

Tomato Soup and MCW SKY:

Thanks for the input and possible leads. I read the TSB on the possible fuse block issue and went through mine with with a magnifing glass. No issues there. Of course it still remains a suspect.

The starter and/or the clutch positioning switch may be the culprit, based on the text strings you sent me. I'll be checking them both today.

Thanks for the input!

Dave

#17 ·
Intermittent Starting

Folks:

The "starting" issue ended up being the Positioning Switch on the clutch pedal. Relatively cheap fix, and I'm fine with that.

I appreciate all of your input and the past posts were very helpful too! Tomato Soup: Thanks for that information.

Sahein: The Automotive Service Professional web site is a wealth of information for the entire industry. Thanks for that, too.

Hope all of you have a great Thanksgiving!

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.