Trifecta budget tune - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Trifecta budget tune

Just installed the Trifecta tune and had a couple questions for those with the budget tune. I went for a short drive and it was raining like hell so not ideal conditions for a spirited ride. I can only assume it was successful because I broke the hind end loose at 50 mph with a good stomp to the floor. Wowza!

1. How do you confirm that the load was successful. Other than driving.
2. How do I know if the on/off feature is controlled by the cruise control button or not? That is the tune I ordered but I am not sure I can tell the difference when depressed. Again, maybe this will be obvious when road conditions cooperate.
3. I have the automatic transmission. Is there a way to confirm the transmission tune was applied as well?

When I completed the download it prompted me to click "OK" then returned to the home icon screen. I am a novice with this stuff but I was just wondering how you know the whole process was successful if there is no datalogging.

Thanks for any tips!
Navigation
Pablo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would like to sign up for this class too!

Hope I'm not highjacking Pablo's thread. I believe it's related.
Haven't got the Trifecta tune (budget) yet, but will be soon and was wondering about the engage function. Depending on whether I choose Cruise Control or Traction, does it override the original functions and just become an on/off button for the tune? i.e. does cruise control (or traction) no longer function after the install?
Also, what's the consensus as to which selector to use as the engage for the tune? Assuming original functionality is lost.
Would like to keep cruise control (for example traction too)... just not sure if they becomes non-functional. Thx!
09SkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

For me, and for most I believe, turning off the traction control is never a good idea. Unless you are in a drifting competition..lol.

Cruise control should still work and the idea is that if you are using cruise control you probably don't need the extra HP.
Navigation
Pablo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
[QUOTE=Pablo77;579563]1. How do you confirm that the load was successful. Other than driving.
2. How do I know if the on/off feature is controlled by the cruise control button or not? That is the tune I ordered but I am not sure I can tell the difference when depressed. Again, maybe this will be obvious when road conditions cooperate.
QUOTE]

A quick and easy way of confirming is to set your DIC to Boost mode and run the car with the cruise button engaged / disengaged. You should see a noticeable difference to confirm your tune settings.
'08 RL/Black/Tan Top-5 SPD/Monsoon/Kenwood DNX6960/GMMP+Trifecta Tune/Dejon CAI/Solo Mach Shorty w/Quad Tips/Dark Tint/'SKY' Illum. WR & Door Sills/RK Sport Rear Spoiler/Painted Rear Fascia/Opel GT Antenna/Pntd Calipers/HID/DDM + JPM console
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo77 View Post
1. How do you confirm that the load was successful. Other than driving.
A quick and easy way of confirming is to set your DIC to Boost mode and run the car with the cruise button engaged / disengaged. You should see a noticeable difference to confirm your tune settings.

You can't tell it loaded visually. You should see the boost go a lot higher than normal for your area (14 to 19) to somewhere around 24-26 and really, your butt should really feel it. I have it on my cruise and if I could do it over, I switch it to the traction control button.
Sky_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
I have it on my cruise and if I could do it over, I switch it to the traction control button.
Why?
Woodgrain interior
Diamond pattern console cover
Trifecta tune
gladmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladmaker View Post
Why?
Not sure about everyone else, but I actually get better gas mileage when the tune is turned on (as long as keep my foot off the floor) than with the tune turned off.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

You get better highway cruising mileage?
Opel GT Antenna
Probeam
Backbone
LV Brace
pksudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Pilot View Post
Not sure about everyone else, but I actually get better gas mileage when the tune is turned on (as long as keep my foot off the floor) than with the tune turned off.
So what? Keep it on all the time. Have Vince set it so when the cruise is on the tune is on instead of the other way around. It won't matter to the cruise control as it doesn't function anyway until you set a speed, and the cruise light reminds you which tune you have on.
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1965 Jensen CV8,
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT (sold)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2013 Mazda 3 Sport
Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
For some of us cruise does not work at all!

But I digress . . .

If you live in Olympia when is it NOT raining? "I seen 'em!?"

Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
So what? Keep it on all the time. Have Vince set it so when the cruise is on the tune is on instead of the other way around. It won't matter to the cruise control as it doesn't function anyway until you set a speed, and the cruise light reminds you which tune you have on.
Exactly ! This is how mine is set up too and like you've noted the light is the indicator.
'08 RL/Black/Tan Top-5 SPD/Monsoon/Kenwood DNX6960/GMMP+Trifecta Tune/Dejon CAI/Solo Mach Shorty w/Quad Tips/Dark Tint/'SKY' Illum. WR & Door Sills/RK Sport Rear Spoiler/Painted Rear Fascia/Opel GT Antenna/Pntd Calipers/HID/DDM + JPM console
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
TGC

Is there a reason other than a possible service call under warranty that you would want to switch back to the stock tune. Is this tune too extreme for normal driving? I would think not if we are debating the fact that it is difficult to determine whether it is loaded or not.
TGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGC View Post
Is there a reason other than a possible service call under warranty that you would want to switch back to the stock tune. Is this tune too extreme for normal driving? I would think not if we are debating the fact that it is difficult to determine whether it is loaded or not.
Nope, that be the only reason.

On Edit: In retrospect, I have switched it off when it's raining simply for traction purposes and on the rare occasions when I bought bad gas (bad defined as not ostensibly having the full 91 octane) to hold down detonation until I could get better gas ....or, I also keep a bottle of 104 around, right or wrong, and add a few of ounces to the tank for the same reason. It might only be in my head, but the times that I've added some, the detonation went away.

Last edited by Sky_Pilot; 01-31-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

For what it's worth, I just loaded the Trifecta budget tune onto my car and wanted to comment on how striking the difference in throttle response and power is. The car pulls much harder through all of the gears, and it my heart is still racing from driving it around for a while.

Had absolutely no problems running up to 145 mph, and definitely has much more power for passing in the higher gears at lower RPM.
mstrjon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

I agree with ya mstrjon32 The Tune made my car Waaaay more Peppy
TonyRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion