UPDATED 2/9/2017 GM Issues a Recall of the Passenger Presence Sensor! - Page 34 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

User Tag List

46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #496 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnym3334 View Post
So my dealer got my car in this morning and I got my car back this afternoon. Basically no questions asked they checked my car in, got the part replaced for the interim repair and they told me that it should hold until they get the revised part at which case they would give me a call so I could go back to get it replaced again. My dealer at least has been very good at calling me to update me on the status of the recall! He called me as soon as he was able to get parts and called me as soon as he had the parts (only took him 1 day to get the parts) the next day (today) they had my car in fixed and out!
It took my dealer 2hrs 15 mins from start to finish. On the bill it showed 115 dollars labor per hour. I was able to remove the seat and replace it in their shop. This way no scratches to interior/exterior. Never let the car out of your sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
It took my dealer 2hrs 15 mins from start to finish. On the bill it showed 115 dollars labor per hour. I was able to remove the seat and replace it in their shop. This way no scratches to interior/exterior. Never let the car out of your sight.
Mike, I don't personally know the dealer nor have a relationship with anyone there. I don't believe they are going to allow me into the shop area, no matter what......saftety...... insurance .... etc. I already can hear all of that. I don't believe there is any dealer in the Phoenix area that is going to relent on that policy. How can I get a concession to be with my car at all times? Are you a regular at that dealership? Just wondering.
post #498 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:31 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
I rarely take my car in for service. Once a year for an oil change. They just don't enforce that made up BS about the insurance co. Dealerships do not want owners speaking to the mechanics and wasting time.

Bob..this is what u do...u take off the 4 nuts that hold down the seat. Then release the PPS harness underneath the seat...bring it into the dealership. Then when the tech comes and gets the car...tell him what u did...give him a tip before any work begins and explain what u wish to do..after u remove the seat...u can walk away...then come back in about an hour amd half...ask if u can then reinstall the seat...then u can walk away again. They will reattach the harness so the Tech 2 can reprogram the car. Money changes everything.

Last edited by marlboromike; 05-19-2017 at 02:42 PM.

post #499 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Garage
MM, I just want to clarify this...so you basically have removed the seat (but leave it in the car) and drive it to the dealership that way. When they come out to take the car back, they're just taking the seat, right? Then they come back out with the seat after changing the cushion, you put it back in the car, then they do the TechII process?

Do I have that right?

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #500 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:56 PM

Fella's, Robo and Mike. (Mike it is Bill, not Bob. We spoke way back when I first needed forum help some 5 years ago. You pitched in, thx.)

As usual, there is more to the story .......

Long story short ...... five years ago when I got my SKY, the passenger airbag status strip on the dash DID NOT illuminate.

My non-dealer auto shop tested the system and wrote on the service order (I have a copy), that the lamp was burned out. The service order included a quote to repair the lamp (and specified the lamp was the problem and the airbag system was OK). I trusted their opinion and have driven defensively in addition, but DID NOT bother to fix the lamp.

So, you see my situation does not really involve removal (in my opinion) of the seat. And, if it is removal of the dash, well, we'll have to have a talk about the dealer doing that previous to proceeding.

My recall letter includes the refund form. It will be interesting if GM refunds my expense of the lamp issue opinion. I'll not cry if they don't. GM might quickly conclude, incorrectly IMO, that the lamp failure is outside the PPS issue and write DNA (does NOT apply). Hmmmm, OK.

I've made a dealer appointment a couple weeks out, but I am considering stopping at the dealer service dept and have a discussion now as to what I believe the situation. Of course, if it is true the PSS is OK, then WILL they cover the cost of the lamp correction work? When I made the appointment, I only made reference to the recall letter with no comments about the previous lamp opinion.

HOWEVER, ultimately the lamp has to be fixed with the final fix, when it comes. And, as to paying us off, as previous speculation, how can that ever happen on a safety issue? Payment can't happen, IMO.

Actually I'm happy with the way things are right now, and not having to worry about a mishap with my car in other's hands. I've only driven the car about 25 miles since I paid the top area detail-er to do a great job!!

Any input out there to my approach to this problem? All opinions appreciated.
post #501 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:26 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
MM, I just want to clarify this...so you basically have removed the seat (but leave it in the car) and drive it to the dealership that way. When they come out to take the car back, they're just taking the seat, right? Then they come back out with the seat after changing the cushion, you put it back in the car, then they do the TechII process?

Do I have that right?
Hope this clarification works...I remove the 4 nuts that secure the seat in the car...I disconnect the PPS wire under the seat...I now drive the car to my GM dealership...the service tech assigned to install the new cushion with the PPS brings it into the shop (drives the entire car)...me of course following him. I explain what I have done (of course I hand him a tip). I tell him I would like to remove the seat from the car and then he can replace the cushion. He says OK. Just as an aside...I have the manual on how to do this replacement from GM. I have everything for our car. I hand it to the tech who is doing the work. He thanks me. After the work is completed...about 90 mins later, I return to the car and asks me if I wish to reinstall the seat. I say YES and I screw back the 4 nuts. He reconnects the wire under the seat and then proceeds to use the Tech 2 to reprogram everything.

There is another funny part of this experience. You know when u drive your car in...there are people who write up the work order. I show them the printout from the Saturn Sky manual on how to disassemble/assemble the seat. He states that it is not for the public to have this. It is for GM dealerships ONLY. Needless to say, he was talking to the wrong person. LOL

Also in the computer is the ignition switch recall on my car. I told him that is not happening. I explained I did not wish more idiot lights to register on my car. And then I went on to explain...

On the final work order where u must sign off on the work performed is the reimbursement request to GM for past costs.

Last edited by marlboromike; 05-19-2017 at 08:37 PM.
post #502 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
Fella's, Robo and Mike. (Mike it is Bill, not Bob. We spoke way back when I first needed forum help some 5 years ago. You pitched in, thx.)

As usual, there is more to the story .......

Long story short ...... five years ago when I got my SKY, the passenger airbag status strip on the dash DID NOT illuminate.

My non-dealer auto shop tested the system and wrote on the service order (I have a copy), that the lamp was burned out. The service order included a quote to repair the lamp (and specified the lamp was the problem and the airbag system was OK). I trusted their opinion and have driven defensively in addition, but DID NOT bother to fix the lamp.

So, you see my situation does not really involve removal (in my opinion) of the seat. And, if it is removal of the dash, well, we'll have to have a talk about the dealer doing that previous to proceeding.

My recall letter includes the refund form. It will be interesting if GM refunds my expense of the lamp issue opinion. I'll not cry if they don't. GM might quickly conclude, incorrectly IMO, that the lamp failure is outside the PPS issue and write DNA (does NOT apply). Hmmmm, OK.

I've made a dealer appointment a couple weeks out, but I am considering stopping at the dealer service dept and have a discussion now as to what I believe the situation. Of course, if it is true the PSS is OK, then WILL they cover the cost of the lamp correction work? When I made the appointment, I only made reference to the recall letter with no comments about the previous lamp opinion.

HOWEVER, ultimately the lamp has to be fixed with the final fix, when it comes. And, as to paying us off, as previous speculation, how can that ever happen on a safety issue? Payment can't happen, IMO.

Actually I'm happy with the way things are right now, and not having to worry about a mishap with my car in other's hands. I've only driven the car about 25 miles since I paid the top area detail-er to do a great job!!

Any input out there to my approach to this problem? All opinions appreciated.
The lights in the status display are LEDs, and the chance of all of them being burned out is approximately zero.

When the car is first powered on, both the ON and OFF lights will illuminate while the airbag warning light flashes. After the diagnostics run, one or the other of the ON and OFF lights will illuminate. If the seat is occupied but the seat belt is not fastened, the seat belt warning light will be illuminated along with the ON light. When the instrument lights are on, there are three LEDs behind the "Passenger Air Bag" text that illuminate.

Does anything in the display light up? If so, what and when? If the seat is occupied with the seat belt un-fastened, do you get a warning chime?

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #503 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Does anything in the display light up? If so, what and when? If the seat is occupied with the seat belt un-fastened, do you get a warning chime?
John, thanks so much for your reply and questions.

1)Does anything in the display light up? NO
2)If so, what and when? NOTHING LIGHTS UP EVER IN OUR RECOLLECTION (and I'm quite certain).
3)If the seat is occupied with the seat belt un-fastened, do you get a warning chime? I DON'T REMEMBER EVER HEARING THE CHIME AS DRIVER, NOR DOES MY WIFE REMEMBER HEARING ANY CHIME. MY PROCEDURE IS USUALLY TO START THE CAR AND THEN FASTEN MY BELT. MY WIFE DOESN'T REMEMBER A CHIME EVER. SHE USUALLY GETS IN WHEN THE CAR IS RUNNING. WE DON'T RECALL ANY CHIME EVER.

We do know how the operation works and sounds when working correctly, as we also own a Solstice coupe that operates as you suggest.

I'm now rethinking my suggested plan of a discussion with the dealer's service manager about the problem just being the indicator illumination. I'm now of the opinion I'd better just let them diagnose the problem and fix it. I DON'T think I'm on the right track at all!

John, don't you agree?
post #504 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
If there is no back-light behind the "Passenger Air Bag" text then the unit is disconnected or it has no power. It shares a fuse with some HVAC function, but the manual does not indicate what that is. The indicator is relatively easy to remove from a Sky. The piano-black piece that it is mounted in pulls out from the front without any other disassembly. Is there anything else electrical that doesn't work?

Try starting the car and then sitting in the passenger seat without fastening the seat belt. If someone is sitting in the driver's seat that seat belt should be fastened. Wait a few minutes to see if there is a chime.

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #505 of 505 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:39 PM

Our SKY is at our winter home at the moment, while we are in the summer home in the mountains doing a little freezing! It was 32 this morning at 6 AM!, but 75 now. The winter home is 95 currently, thus why we are here. LOL

I'm pretty sure the SKY has NO chime ever, but can't do another test now. As we have the Sols Coupe too, we know the chime sound and how it works.

I do NOT know of a single item that does NOT work. A minor frustration is when starting and leaving the garage in daylight, the night light system activates. You can go a few miles before it turns off and allows a view of the radio and dash, etc.. Not really a problem though.

Incidentally, John, I did send this morning an email for a MAIL order of NASSAM 2017 items.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.