V-8 Envy - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #46 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
= illegal in all 50 states. Good luck sticking a carbbed engine into a modern car and being legal. And if it is a complete modern LS injected engine, you are going to have sensors. Lots of them!
Do all states now have emissions inspections? I used to live in Oklahoma and, at the time, there was absolutely no safety or emissions requirement.
mstrjon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #47 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moorethanenuff View Post
Just like the OP, having a LS3 480hp or LSA 556hp engine in my SKY would be my dream car, I just cant justify spending more on the conversion than I paid for the whole car. Don't get me wrong, if you have that kind of cash burning a hole in your pocket, I say do it! But for me the original reason I bought the SKY is because it was a fun little sports car and relatively inexpensive. Had GM offered the V8 and charged $50 grand, I think that would have put the car out of my (SPD) smiles per dollar range which is why I'm leaning more towards DDMs stage 3 kit @ $5350. Of course I'd rather have the LS but I don't think I would enjoy my car THAT much more to justify the cost. Now if the price of the conversion should happen to come down in the next few years, all bets are off.
Today with fuel as uncertain as it is I'd go with the DDM stage three and if you really want to save money wait on the clutch. Once you throw it around sideways a few times and burn a couple of tanks of fuel out you might learn the power band and not have to kick it every time you turn the corner or see a open hole in traffic. LOL
No your not going to have any where near the power you will with the v-8 but ophidia31 hit it right much on the head with his statement. Its not needed. If you want to have a huge high whp to post on some forum then its important or a all out and out show car where you want both for the judging .
Vette motor is 650 hp without the nitrous. Just a tad under where sky 888 wants to be with the bottles turned on... 743whp Motor only whp > 554whp, 550wtq.. I drive it slower than I do the sky. Once you have that much power you finally realize you don't have to look like a fool scooting around everyone like a nascar junkie or making Youtube videos to show others what its like.
As far as sound,, ya, that can give you a willy LOL but is it worth all that money. The guy that tuned my vette was a master.. We tuned the cam out where its a fast race idle. Love it 10 times better than the first guy that tuned the vette.
You already know your fast.. Having the vette slowed me down with both. I bop the sky more than I do the vette cause its fun having the power in a 4 cylinder and I know there is NO ONE on this forum that goes looking for GT mustangs.......
Vette is show and go with a hell of a stereo in her so shes the cruise car and if she's out the drive, GF is with me so now that you have someone else's life in your hands, what are you going to do but how many forget they have the same when its only them self.... What about your own. No family, no kids,,, Drive it like you stole it.
Sky has the stage three... 261 whp but it gets right at 30 mpg.. Vette gets 22 on trips about 17 in town and both cars have 3.90 gears so now you know what pro street gets but remember, we have that over drive 6th gear.
Here's the newest addition to Liver River motor sports. Its a smart addition to .. Take that money your going to spend on that v-8 conversion and get another car that is for fuel millage and dependability.
We've nick named this one, the Silver Bullet.
TDI 48 mpg Bug........... GF's ride after this past weekend. ....
Number one rule in owning a beefed up car. Never mod your only ride.
Number two. Long as it does not matter to you but once you change the motor, you know the value of the car is dead. Don't kid yourself about being able to sell it unless your luck is a heck of a lot better than you think and your job better be able to suppose a quick 10 grand at any time for the little things that can and will go wrong. If this does not bother you, welcome to the world of high hp toys but set a goal.. So many guys I now live and spend their whole life trying to be the fastest they end up with nothing and broke.
I give you The Silver Bullet LOL 83000 brake in miles and less than 8 grand..

Last edited by liveaboard74; 10-28-2012 at 06:47 AM.
liveaboard74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #48 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Holy thread resurrections!

Is the OP even still around? Umm… last post: 09-04-2011, 12:36 PM

LOL! Gonna call that a "no".

--

Still a fun discussion though.

Low end power? V-anything = not the best. (or I-anything)

It's all about the electric motors. :P But good luck cramming that into a kappa!

I totally understand the old school love of the deep V-8 rumble. If I suddenly found myself super wealthy I might be looking for something to cram a big ol' V8 into just for the nostalgia! (I grew up to the drone of dads modified 350 V8)

For the Sky... part of what draws me to it is the new tech... The turbo, the DI, etc... I love seeing what all everyone is doing to their Skys. Dual turbos, superchargers, big turbos, etc...

Not sure if I would want to spend so much on a V8 conversion with so many other things I want to change about my Sky. I think that's the biggest reason I haven't done anything (yet)... I don't want to open that box! (IE Pandora... not the music service either)
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #49 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)
Its not that much more costly to install a v -8 if you have one then it is to supercharge but there a lot of things you have to consider. Modding the car like all of us know, unless your going to keep it drops the value of the car and good luck finding anyone that wants to pay extra for your idea's. 99% want it stock so thats the first issue to consider.
I enjoy modding and doing the custom stuff to anything and went whole hog on the vette after finishing the SC sky
One thing I didn't expect while I was building the vette was it would slow me down. Its just like the sky, its a blast to drive, but there gets to a place you have to much power and once you realize that, you find yourself content you reached your goal and its not that important to you any more.
You know its there. Don't take but a second to go from zero to hero but its the same ride you did the last time you did it and on the street its surely not needed for anything but to show off and there only a hand full of guys that you already know that can keep up. Things change.
There several of us that show up a couple of times a year at the old air strip in Edenton, to try out some new toy someone bought but just like myself I see the others feeling the same way, and we lock the cruise in at 62 or 63 after playing and we all head home.
I think the chase has more to do with it than actually catching the fox, and once your there, what is there any longer to prove to yourself or to seek/go after. So you reached your goal..
I'm only boosting 10psi with the motor. We had it up to 13.5 to see what it would do but set it back down for the spray. Motor is set up for the nitrous and have the twin nitrous set kicking 150 shot total. Motor alone is 650 hp, 554whp and 550wtq at 2700 rpms and I changed the rear end gears to 3.90s from the 3.43s. With the nitrous the whp goes up but the torque hits 740 at 3000 rpms. Its not needed other than bragging rights or drag strip which I have a toy I play with on there and its a fun street car. Nothing I want to take to the track other than finding out what it would do one time.
Sky in the 55 mph zone I live with the stage three SC kicks down 29.7 mpg. I actually have more fun ****ting and getting around curves with that than I do the vette and even though the top on the vette comes off, ,(its a coupe) in spring and fall when it's top down weather I enjoy the sky more than the vette. In summer, living at the beach, I'll take the hard top and AC any day. It gets hot at OBX.
Vette gets the nod on sound and tuner tuned the cam out best he could but I do love the fast race idle of the cam and it won't idle less than 1100 so speed has its quirks but we know that going into it.
What I found out in the end its ok to enjoy both cars. There two totally different things and both do each well. Vette get 22 mpg ver 29.7 with the sky but for quick trips up town the sky wins hands down so there both cool toys to enjoy.

Little flutter at wot is the pure meth kicking in then she straighten's out.

Last edited by liveaboard74; 11-11-2012 at 08:46 AM.
liveaboard74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #50 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
How much would one expect to pay just in parts for the conversion? Keeping the stock tranny. I'm thinking about doing the conversion and my cousin would help me do it. It'll take longer than having a shop do it, but I think it will be more rewarding. Not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper.

Also, does anyone know how the LS3 hooks up to the stock tranny? Is there an adapter kit that you can buy? How difficult would it be to drop in the 6 speed teanny? Challenges?
premlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #51 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by premlor View Post
How much would one expect to pay just in parts for the conversion? Keeping the stock tranny. I'm thinking about doing the conversion and my cousin would help me do it. It'll take longer than having a shop do it, but I think it will be more rewarding. Not to mention a heck of a lot cheaper.

Also, does anyone know how the LS3 hooks up to the stock tranny? Is there an adapter kit that you can buy? How difficult would it be to drop in the 6 speed teanny? Challenges?
Talk with Werks. They sell a do it yourself kit with reusing the stock tranny
Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #52 (permalink)

hmm I see this one

WERKS Kappa/LSx DIY Conversion Kit $3,499.99

It looks like it's for the 2.4. Not sure what the difference would be. And it is to use the 6 speed tranny. I don't see another kit listed. I'll shoot them an email. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
Do all states now have emissions inspections? I used to live in Oklahoma and, at the time, there was absolutely no safety or emissions requirement.
I just spent time in FL and my family and friends down there told me that the state has done away with all vehicle inspections and emissions testing. I'm thinking of buying a place down there just so I can register my car there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion