What is this smell????? - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
What is this smell?????

A few times i have really stepped on it rather hard from a start and there is this incredible smell which i cannot define.....it smells mechanical and is super strong and lingers for quite some time....i know what a burning clutch smells like in older cars....and of course what rubber smells like but this is something i have never encountered before......anyone experienced this????? any ideas what it may be.....

thanks
harry
08 redline
westers race tune
sportlines
harry777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
No answers here..but I smell it to

I have an '08 RL with about 3k miles on it and I still get a strong smell that ALMOST smells like a burning clutch...but not quite...It's definitely a mechanical smell though.

My dad just bought an '08 GXP with about 100 miles on it now and he gets the same exact smell (only much stronger than mine is now) I am assuming things are just getting burnt in and it's nothing really to worry about since every 'new' kappa I've driven has done it..
Stubby Antenna
V2 Wind Restrictor
GMPP CAI
GMPP LNF Power Upgrade Kit
klipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
A lot of the times it's miscellaneous stuff on parts of your turbo/exhaust burning, or burning faster as a result of the massive increased heat being produced and sent out the engine when you get on it.
Maxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oil is used as a lubricant/release agent when casting and extruding metals. Such as exhaust tubing and housings. If it is very new that may be what it is.
Paint on the engine parts also generally take a while to bake in.

If it doesn't go away after a while you should probably have it checked.
2007 Polar white/tan Sky 2.4,Man, 6 disk Monsoon,HD radio, semiauto antenna,PDA & 500Gb hardrive for stored tunes,Eibach stabilizers, B&G shocks and springs,DDM backbone & Pro-Beam, JPM Console & Armrest pads,Fujita dual intake,elec fuel door.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

If it hasn't always been that noticeable, might sounds funny, but did you happen to notice driving over any plastic bags lately? Sometimes if they touch the exhaust they have a tendency to stick to and melt on it. Smells bad for a bit.
JET WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET WS6 View Post
If it hasn't always been that noticeable, might sounds funny, but did you happen to notice driving over any plastic bags lately? Sometimes if they touch the exhaust they have a tendency to stick to and melt on it. Smells bad for a bit.
That was going to be my suggestion as well. I ran over a plastic bag and could not figure out what it was for months.

That innocent plastic bag had melted and fused itself to my exhaust. Every time it would heat up it would melt a bit more, give off some toxic fumes and aggravate me. I guess after 2 months this crazy plastic bag would not burn itself off.

Well today I decided to put an end to this nonsense. Some internet research revealed that Easy-Off oven cleaner would do the trick. So I jacked up the rear end of the car put it on some jackastands and let it idle for 15 minutes. Sprayed on the oven cleaner and waited 10 minutes. The balck stuff came off in chunks (thanks to some encouragement from a putty knife). Here are the results after 3 minutes of scraping and cleaning:

Driving around today produces NO obnoxious fumes or odors. Now my car smells as good as it looks. Let this be a warning, plastic bags can be a hazard!!
Valentine1 flush radar display
OZ Ultraleggera Wheels
DDM Works Brakes, Backbone, intercooler
Morfious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

The Smell

I have the same problem. The best way I can define the smell is... when you turn on your house heater on for the first time in the winter.
Black and Light Titanium Leather
Delivered on July 19, 2008
Marc's Carbon Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like clutch smell to me. Really easy to do that to the clutch in this car. You're guaranteed to burn the clutch some if you do anything other than dump the clutch as mid to high RPM.
Monsoon stereo
6-disk CD/MP3 changer
Stubby Antenna
"Redline" Wind Restrictor
K&N Air Filter
35% tint, side and rear windows
uranium-238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

...guess it just depends where you live...
Attached Thumbnails
What is this smell?????-odor_map_final.jpg  

"...I'm not sick, but i'm not well...."

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul" C&H

RED SOX NATION
jayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Send a message via AIM to compdoc777 Send a message via Yahoo to compdoc777
Clutch. I get the smell everytime I get on my car hard. It's called crappy clutch smell. The clutch can handle some power play, but not a lot. Now I could be wrong since my car only has about 3500 miles on it the clutch may still be seating to the flywheel and slipping a bit, but the smell is clutch. To me a clutch should not slip at all. I know I can make mine slip.

It could be brakes as well I had an odd smell when I had to slam on the brakes and the ABS invoked.

I just want the smell of burning rubber!
  • Dejon IC pipes
  • Hahn IC
  • 3" Magnaflow Quad Exhaust
  • DDM BBK (RED)
compdoc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

A couple of hundred miles before my alternator started overcharging and lit up all of the lights on the dash, I had a strong smell of burning electrical wiring.

Gone but not forgotten......96 Miata, 95 Z28 conv, 89 Iroc conv, 88 Iroc conv, 87 Grand National, and a couple others
RagtopGuyinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Most cars, including my Sky, when they come from the factory with all the lube and hand oils from assembly, tend to smell for a few weeks and maybe even smoke the slightest little bit under the hood. Anything after a few thousand miles, depends on how hard you drive it. If you've only opened it up a bit once in a thousand miles it won't get hot enough to get rid of it. Not saying once you break it in, beat it to death, it just may take a little longer pending how you drive. I back this up, because not only have I seen it many times with new cars, myself and a couple friends experimented when we put my new exhaust on. Before we started it, we touched every piece of it with our bare hands, car smelt just like new for a week then went away for good. If it contiues, embarass yourself and smell every bit of the car right after a good pull and see if you can find the source. Just my
TurboX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Cant resist. Call Bogie

Rob the Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Clutch Burning Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry777 View Post
A few times i have really stepped on it rather hard from a start and there is this incredible smell which i cannot define.....it smells mechanical and is super strong and lingers for quite some time....i know what a burning clutch smells like in older cars....and of course what rubber smells like but this is something i have never encountered before......anyone experienced this????? any ideas what it may be.....

thanks
harry
08 redline
westers race tune
sportlines
My Clutch let out a serious burning smell this weekend when I got on it hard. By the time I was in 3rd the cabin was filled with the stink. Opened the hood and it was terrible...stronger on the driver side. After 2 days I can still smell it when I go into my garage.

I've been told it's my clutch slipping. I get on it hard every time I drive it since getting it supercharged, but this was the first burning smell. Owwweeee, don't want to buy a new clutch yet!
DDMWorks: Stage II SuperCharger, ProBeam, BackBone, 4 Piston Calipers, Eibach Sway Bars, RL springs/shocks; Borla Exhaust, High Flow CAT; Kazara Rims, Racing stripe, 3M bra/rocker panels & window tinting
Sunny Ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

I"ll suggest the clutch. My driveway is a slight hill about ten yards long. I have to wait at the bottom for the garage door to open, and often as I go up the hill/drive I'll get that smell.
LSD
Manual
Black leather and top
Chrome wheels
6-disc Monsoon
ctyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion