Saturn Sky Forum banner

This is why my passenger airbag doesn't work.

40K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  what is dis 
#1 · (Edited)
peace out.

#2 ·
used?

Saturn called me today with their diagnoses. It's the passenger pressance control module. Part is 377.82. With labor it's 626.67. I am currentyl waiting on the district support guy to call me back about getting this paid for. My reasoning is that it's a passenger sensor. 80% of the time there isn't a passenger! So out of the 34k miles that sensor saw usage about 6.8k miles.
That's insane. I feel Saturn should replace this free of charge. If not I would like to know what signal the mod sends to the ecu and just bypass the sensor and have the air bag on all the time. I can rig any voltage to go to the ecu with simple resistors. Bah! This is crap.

Today I will be removng the sensor from the seat and trying to fix it myself. Maybe just a loose connector or grounded wire. I'm sure all they did was hook up the tech 2 and it said "mod bad, replace and rape customer"
You might be able to get a used one - there have been a few threads regarding cars which have been totaled - or I would think the part is the same as used on other models so get one from another car even used or from a scrap yard etc.

#3 ·
You might be able to get a used one - there have been a few threads regarding cars which have been totaled - or I would think the part is the same as used on other models so get one from another car even used or from a scrap yard etc.
Yeah! Send a PM to DirkDaddy! He's prolly got one layin around! :thumbs:

#5 ·
Saturn called me today with their diagnoses. It's the passenger pressance control module. Part is 377.82. With labor it's 626.67. I am currentyl waiting on the district support guy to call me back about getting this paid for. My reasoning is that it's a passenger sensor. 80% of the time there isn't a passenger! So out of the 34k miles that sensor saw usage about 6.8k miles.
That's insane. I feel Saturn should replace this free of charge. If not I would like to know what signal the mod sends to the ecu and just bypass the sensor and have the air bag on all the time. I can rig any voltage to go to the ecu with simple resistors. Bah! This is crap.

Today I will be removng the sensor from the seat and trying to fix it myself. Maybe just a loose connector or grounded wire. I'm sure all they did was hook up the tech 2 and it said "mod bad, replace and rape customer"
RickyD jumpered the black and brown wires(I think). That turned the passenger air bag light from off to on. However, it did not turn off the red air bag warning light on the dash. So, he was not sure if the air bag was really on and working or not.

#6 ·
It isn't a voltage signal, it is serial data.

The Sensing and Diagnostic Module asks the Passenger Presence System (that's the thing in the seat) how it is doing, and, if it doesn't like the answer it gets, it turns on the Fault Lamp. The PPS weighs the passenger and, if the weight is below the threshhold, turns on the Airbag Suppress output to turn off thePassenger Side Airbag. and Seatbelt Tensioner.

The PPS cannot be replaced by itself, the system has to be calibrated afterwards using a Scan Tool.

By the Way: The section on Supplemental Inflatable Restraints has more warnings in it than instructions. Everything is explosive, and sending a voltage surge to the wrong thing could blow something up in your face. Tread lightly.

#8 ·
Monadzback : Thank you John. I was afraid it wasn't going to be simple. I'll wait to hear from the Saturn customer service department. And about airbags being under warranty forever? I need to know more about that.
As far as I can learn, the SIR system is covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Not forever.

#9 · (Edited)
hit up the junk yards for a seat bottom, visit junk yards in person and maybe you can find one with a damaged/torn leather seat, and get a discount since all you need is the cushion with the sensor in it...get a receipt because after you get the scan tool on it at the dealer to program it and if it doesn't work, you can return it..

I have found complete seats for 150 at junk yards..

-J

#10 ·

Similar issue failure with my young daughter G6 GT, thankfully it was covered under warranty, and yes, it outrageously expensive for a simple module...:willy:

#12 ·
I know... But they go by their little book of hours. They say it's 9 hours to change a clutch. But I talked with one of the mechanics there and told him it took me over 20. He said yeah we get screwed on some jobs and make extra $$ on others. The clutch, per their book, says to remove the turbo and a bunch of other crap that isn't figures into their 9 hours of labor and so they don't charge for it, but they still have to so they still have to do the work.

#18 ·
Hi, I had my passenger presence module replaced last week at my local GM (they had Pontiac) dealer under my 48 mos/48,000 GM warranty. They did print the cost of the repairs, was $349.30 for the part and $83.99 for the labor. This was on my 07 GXP.

They also replaced under warranty the front intake air duct because the PCV connector
broke off.

I bought the car used this March and had them adjust the parking brake under warranty, but it was not much better, this time they did the piston compression adjustment under warranty and now the brake will hold the car on any hill, yea!

Tim.

#22 ·
#25 ·
problem solved Jeb!

After I did some research in your problem, I realised its common in our cars! Simple solution......................... had u goin didn't I! Lol. Put a fat chick. In your passenger seat and a brick on your pedal! Let your car crash into a wall, then send me your turbo and tune set up! Ill send you my passenger seat and my ecm! Problem solved! Also as a bonus.... ill pay for shipping:willy::D

#26 ·
After I did some research in your problem, I realised its common in our cars! Simple solution......................... had u goin didn't I! Lol. Put a fat chick. In your passenger seat and a brick on your pedal! Let your car crash into a wall, then send me your turbo and tune set up! Ill send you my passenger seat and my ecm! Problem solved! Also as a bonus.... ill pay for shipping:willy::D
Can't beat a deal like that. Or just rip out the wiring and tell any passengers they are on their own in an accident. Might want to give them a comfy pillow ta hold onto.....Skip.....:):D:)

#29 ·
Ill payfor the fat chick! McDonalds and the dollar menu! 2dollars if she is cool! Lol! If she is lucky, I could Biggie Size it! Lmao! Anywho........ Jeb did something that noone tried yet! I respect him for that! He opened the doors for the rest of us! Trail and error on his part! I'm willing to do the same thing! Jeb is the man! All these turbo upgrades that we've seen, Jeb has the most power! Without free parts or sponsors! Ill take that rout! Not everyone can get sponsored! If you can, fkn do it! If not, thanks Jeb! We owe you man!

#34 ·
Holy crap... Looking at that invoice the RO was opened at 12:32 and the car was ready at 15:29 so about 3 hours and labor was 647? That means the labor rate is 215.83 per hour. Ummmmm wtf? Import labor rates aren't even that high to my knowledge.

#36 ·
I'm familiar with the concept and how it's used, but looking through the time guide I'm coming to about 3 hours of labor for diagnosis and repair, but that is of course assuming that I'm reading everything right which I may not be. If I read it the way I think it's supposed to be read labor drops to 1.1 hours, again assuming if I'm reading things correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.