Saturn Sky Forum banner

This is why my passenger airbag doesn't work.

40K views 66 replies 29 participants last post by  what is dis 
#1 · (Edited)
peace out.

#47 ·
Just so you are all aware. When replacing this sensor and module assembly (they should be replaced as a pair, not one or the other (if that's even possible)) the system should be reprogrammed and rezero'd to ensure proper system function.

#49 ·
Talk to us about this rezero thing. If we replace the module and sensor with P/N 19124219 for $324.84 from GM Parts Giant, how do we recalibrate the system? If we don't recalibrate will we still have an airbag error?

I'm glad we found this, the dealer is a rip-off. I almost paid the stealer price to have it replaced. If they had done it in the time they promised, I would have. They wouldn't give our car back until I paid for the part, even though it wasn't installed.

#48 ·
WTF…(can I say that?) is that it!! its that easy???

Its so disappointing that a dealer would treat people this way, I have placed the call to cancel.

Elff (and others)- THANK YOU, THANK YOU and THANK YOU!!!!!!

#51 · (Edited)
I went through this about a year ago. First dealer wanted to charge me $700. I would have let them do it except they didn't have it done by the weekend as promissed. Started saying I couldn't have the car and had to pay for the part. Since they didn't do any work, my wife said, my car your part. Just got out being hit with a shop charge for diag.

I purchased the part online and installed. It was about $300. It's the entire seat cushion and sensor. I had it installed in about 30 minutes. Then the light issue. After research, which brought me here, I learned that the Passenger Presence Module needs to be calibrated. I tried going to my mechanic. The only guy I trust more than myself. He tried with his scan tool. No dice. He said GM is going to have to do it.

Well I wasn't going back to GM Stealer number 1. I called GM Stealer number 2 and they proceeded to tell me that if it was installed correctly then the light would just go out when plugged in. They would have to do some diagnostics to figure it out. So I called GM Stealer #3. Who is now my only GM Dealer I'll go to if I need anything. I just called up and said I put in a new Passenger Presence Module and need it calibrated. They said no problem when can you bring it in.

#56 ·
#57 ·
In case you don't know, that's not the same module that this thread is talking about. Here we're talking about the passenger-presence sensor module, which comes as one assembly with the seat cushion and pressure mat and is much more expensive.

#62 ·
I unhooked the passenger side seat sensor and started vehicle. The "service air bag" warning light appeared in the DIC. I then shut off the vehicle and plugged the sensor back in restarted vehicle and no service air bag was showing. Restarted vehicle a couple of times more just to confirm, still no light.

#65 ·
Cross-posting this on behalf of member TomShadow on the SoslticeForum:

TomShadow said:
TIME FOR ACTION !

Every time I see another owner complain of this problem it just infuriates me. If the fix for this problem was cheaper I guess it wouldn't matter so much, but the cost is HIGH. Also, for every person who is online and reports this defect, there must be hundreds and hundreds more who don't know about this forum and have the same problem.
I am asking all of you who have this problem (or had this problem and fixed it) to join myself and several others who have already done so, to file a complaint with the National Highway and Traffic Administration. The 'how to' follows:

Before starting you MUST have your VIN # handy.

Go to the following website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on "Begin Online Form" in the 'Vehicle Complaint' box.
In Box 1, enter your VIN number and pick your car from the drop-down list.
In Box 2, enter the date when you first noticed the problem, mileage, and speed (if any) In the 'Affected Part' box, enter "AIR BAGS"

Below that there is a box to describe the problem. Following is what I wrote; feel free to use any or all of it as it pertains to your circumstance.

The air bag sensor in my vehicle failed shortly (2 mos) after its 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty expired. Any passenger in the car faces added risk if an accident were to occur. It is my understanding that the owner's cost to fix this item is prohibitive ($500 - $800), and that the early failure of this part is somewhat common for this vehicle.

After this, drop down to enter contact info, then click on 'Verify Your Entries'. This will verify that the form was filled out correctly. If not you can make changes.
If everything is OK, click on 'Submit Complaint'.

DONE!!

If we all act together as a community perhaps we can persuade action (with a nudge from the NHTSA) on the part of GM to help fix this commonly defective part.

Thank you all for the time spent reading this, and I hope those of you out there affected will follow through.
(Doing this as a favor, I have no affiliation or knowledge of status etc. Original post here: DIC:: SERVICE AIR BAG - Familiar to anyone? - Page 6 - Pontiac Solstice Forum)

#66 ·
TIME FOR ACTION !

Every time I see another owner complain of this problem it just infuriates me. If the fix for this problem was cheaper I guess it wouldn't matter so much, but the cost is HIGH. Also, for every person who is online and reports this defect, there must be hundreds and hundreds more who don't know about this forum and have the same problem.
I am asking all of you who have this problem (or had this problem and fixed it) to join myself and several others who have already done so, to file a complaint with the National Highway and Traffic Administration. The 'how to' follows:

Before starting you MUST have your VIN # handy.

Go to the following website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Click on "Begin Online Form" in the 'Vehicle Complaint' box.
In Box 1, enter your VIN number and pick your car from the drop-down list.
In Box 2, enter the date when you first noticed the problem, mileage, and speed (if any) In the 'Affected Part' box, enter "AIR BAGS"

Below that there is a box to describe the problem. Following is what I wrote; feel free to use any or all of it as it pertains to your circumstance.

The air bag sensor in my vehicle failed shortly (2 mos) after its 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty expired. Any passenger in the car faces added risk if an accident were to occur. It is my understanding that the owner's cost to fix this item is prohibitive ($500 - $800), and that the early failure of this part is somewhat common for this vehicle.

After this, drop down to enter contact info, then click on 'Verify Your Entries'. This will verify that the form was filled out correctly. If not you can make changes.
If everything is OK, click on 'Submit Complaint'.

DONE!!

If we all act together as a community perhaps we can persuade action (with a nudge from the NHTSA) on the part of GM to help fix this commonly defective part.

Thank you all for the time spent reading this, and I hope those of you out there affected will follow through.
Doing this ASAP!

To the GM CSR that frequents this message board. Would it be a good idea to completely remove the passenger seat from the car? I feel as if leaving the seat in there would leave me legally responsible for the wanton endangerment of the passenger as I, the owner and operator of said vehicle, am aware of the factory defect.

Please let us know when there is a factory recall for this critical safety issue, so that I can convert my GM one seater roadster, back into a two seater.

Best regards!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.