This is why my passenger airbag doesn't work. - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Technical Saturn Sky Discussion Technical and performance aspects of the Saturn Sky Roadster. Sky Problems | Solutions | Repairs | Recalls | Tech Bulletins | Tech Tips | In the Manual Basic Tech

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
This is why my passenger airbag doesn't work.

peace out.

Last edited by Monadzback; 04-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Monadzback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (7)
used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monadzback View Post
Saturn called me today with their diagnoses. It's the passenger pressance control module. Part is 377.82. With labor it's 626.67. I am currentyl waiting on the district support guy to call me back about getting this paid for. My reasoning is that it's a passenger sensor. 80% of the time there isn't a passenger! So out of the 34k miles that sensor saw usage about 6.8k miles.
That's insane. I feel Saturn should replace this free of charge. If not I would like to know what signal the mod sends to the ecu and just bypass the sensor and have the air bag on all the time. I can rig any voltage to go to the ecu with simple resistors. Bah! This is crap.

Today I will be removng the sensor from the seat and trying to fix it myself. Maybe just a loose connector or grounded wire. I'm sure all they did was hook up the tech 2 and it said "mod bad, replace and rape customer"
You might be able to get a used one - there have been a few threads regarding cars which have been totaled - or I would think the part is the same as used on other models so get one from another car even used or from a scrap yard etc.
HID low beam & fogs
3" Magnaflow
DDM Works - Charge Tubes,Cross Bay Brace,Tunnel Brace,Center Console,Fender Trim,Sway bars,Drilled Rotors,Hawk pads
MCW Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW Sky View Post
You might be able to get a used one - there have been a few threads regarding cars which have been totaled - or I would think the part is the same as used on other models so get one from another car even used or from a scrap yard etc.
Yeah! Send a PM to DirkDaddy! He's prolly got one layin around!
Snowflake Wheels
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Send a message via AIM to compdoc777 Send a message via Yahoo to compdoc777
I thought anything to do with the Airbags was under warranty forever.
  • Dejon IC pipes
  • Hahn IC
  • 3" Magnaflow Quad Exhaust
  • DDM BBK (RED)
compdoc777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Saturn called me today with their diagnoses. It's the passenger pressance control module. Part is 377.82. With labor it's 626.67. I am currentyl waiting on the district support guy to call me back about getting this paid for. My reasoning is that it's a passenger sensor. 80% of the time there isn't a passenger! So out of the 34k miles that sensor saw usage about 6.8k miles.
That's insane. I feel Saturn should replace this free of charge. If not I would like to know what signal the mod sends to the ecu and just bypass the sensor and have the air bag on all the time. I can rig any voltage to go to the ecu with simple resistors. Bah! This is crap.

Today I will be removng the sensor from the seat and trying to fix it myself. Maybe just a loose connector or grounded wire. I'm sure all they did was hook up the tech 2 and it said "mod bad, replace and rape customer"
RickyD jumpered the black and brown wires(I think). That turned the passenger air bag light from off to on. However, it did not turn off the red air bag warning light on the dash. So, he was not sure if the air bag was really on and working or not.
CD/MP3 XM satellite
5 speed manual
VIN#1745
Fiamm horn
Magnaflow Quad Tip Exhaust
GMPP CAI Kazera KZ-J rims

08 Carbon Flash
DDM Backbone brace
Mach exhaust
GaryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

It isn't a voltage signal, it is serial data.

The Sensing and Diagnostic Module asks the Passenger Presence System (that's the thing in the seat) how it is doing, and, if it doesn't like the answer it gets, it turns on the Fault Lamp. The PPS weighs the passenger and, if the weight is below the threshhold, turns on the Airbag Suppress output to turn off thePassenger Side Airbag. and Seatbelt Tensioner.

The PPS cannot be replaced by itself, the system has to be calibrated afterwards using a Scan Tool.

By the Way: The section on Supplemental Inflatable Restraints has more warnings in it than instructions. Everything is explosive, and sending a voltage surge to the wrong thing could blow something up in your face. Tread lightly.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you John. I was afraid it wasn't going to be simple. I'll wait to hear from the Saturn customer service department. And about airbags being under warranty forever? I need to know more about that.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Monadzback : Thank you John. I was afraid it wasn't going to be simple. I'll wait to hear from the Saturn customer service department. And about airbags being under warranty forever? I need to know more about that.
As far as I can learn, the SIR system is covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Not forever.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to jasontamu Send a message via Yahoo to jasontamu
hit up the junk yards for a seat bottom, visit junk yards in person and maybe you can find one with a damaged/torn leather seat, and get a discount since all you need is the cushion with the sensor in it...get a receipt because after you get the scan tool on it at the dealer to program it and if it doesn't work, you can return it..

I have found complete seats for 150 at junk yards..

-J

Last edited by jasontamu; 05-03-2010 at 09:14 PM.
jasontamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Similar issue failure with my young daughter G6 GT, thankfully it was covered under warranty, and yes, it outrageously expensive for a simple module...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kennysabarese Send a message via Yahoo to kennysabarese
Sensor is easy to replace. They shouldn't be charging 200 bucks for labor.
kennysabarese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennysabarese View Post
Sensor is easy to replace. They shouldn't be charging 200 bucks for labor.
I know... But they go by their little book of hours. They say it's 9 hours to change a clutch. But I talked with one of the mechanics there and told him it took me over 20. He said yeah we get screwed on some jobs and make extra $$ on others. The clutch, per their book, says to remove the turbo and a bunch of other crap that isn't figures into their 9 hours of labor and so they don't charge for it, but they still have to so they still have to do the work.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
First 2000 Sr. Member

My Photos: (7)
"the book"

Quote:
I know... But they go by their little book of hours. They say it's 9 hours to change a clutch. But I talked with one of the mechanics there and told him it took me over 20. He said yeah we get screwed on some jobs and make extra $$ on others. The clutch, per their book, says to remove the turbo and a bunch of other crap that isn't figures into their 9 hours of labor and so they don't charge for it, but they still have to so they still have to do the work.
I have been told that "the book" is a guideline for how long a given job should take a qualified tech to perform and is used to help avoid cases where one shop charges two or three times another or even from getting radically different prices at the same shop for the same job on different days.

An inexperienced tech may take longer than "book" while an experienced tech may not take as long as "book" but the customer gets charged the same regardless. This also means that an experienced tech can do more than 8 hours work in a day and get "overtime" pay.

I have seen some dealers (Mercedes I think was one of them) where they have posted rates for various experience levels - if memory serves there were three levels - not sure what they were called - Tech 1 - Tech 2 and Master Tech or Tech - Senior Tech - Master Tech - something along those lines - and it was something like $35/hour for Tech 1, $55/hour for Tech 2, and $75 for Master Tech - or something along those lines - with the idea being that a master tech might only take half as long to get a job done - but that you would not pay for a Master tech to do an oil change for instance since the time involved there is not going to vary much based on the skill of the tech - but something like replacing a clutch might be done in half the time by a master tech that the latest technical school graduate.

BP Procare had a 24 month or 2 year - whichever came last - policy under which they would fix a problem - they also had a policy of not exceeding their initial estimate. My wife's Fiero caused them to rethink both of those policies - or at least how they interpret those policies. In the case of warranty - I had an "oil leak" fixed -which took them a few tries to get right and which in the end must have cost them 2 or 3 times what they billed me on the initial repair. in that example "oil leak" was likely too loose a definition of the problem they repaired. In the case of estimate vs billed amount - they must not have realized that in order to take certain parts off the engine you had to drop the engine from the car - or rather lift the car up off the power train - meaning that the length of time it takes to say completely remove the valve cover gasket on that car is far longer than any other car I have ever worked on. I also had a clutch replaced there - I think that was also a case where "the book" was not very accurate - on the flip side - my wife's Fiero may have been the only one they ever did such extensive work on meaning that even if the techs were experienced - they were not as familiar with that car as say the Pontiac dealer might have been.
HID low beam & fogs
3" Magnaflow
DDM Works - Charge Tubes,Cross Bay Brace,Tunnel Brace,Center Console,Fender Trim,Sway bars,Drilled Rotors,Hawk pads
MCW Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm getting a ABS light. My dealer plugged it into a scan tool and said it didn't like what was going on... NO **** SHERLOCK!

I'm not paying 600+ dollars for a stupid sensor and labour. I'm going to take my seat out this weekend and see if it's a home remedy.
07RedlineTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07RedlineTurbo View Post
I'm getting a ABS light. My dealer plugged it into a scan tool and said it didn't like what was going on... NO **** SHERLOCK!
Er, what does the seat have to do with the ABS?
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Technical Saturn Sky Discussion