T56 Conversion - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Saturn Sky Forum Saturn Sky Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Supporting Vendors > DDM Works
Register Home Forum  /  Current Posts Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

DDM Works DDMWorks

SkyRoadster.com is the premier Saturn Sky Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Jesus Jeb....how come you never shared this, especially with astronomical power levels as you claim for all those running similar power levels.
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

I just assumed anyone at that power level was eating clutches and probably trans as well.

When I played at those levels with my previous ride: I grenaded the trans 3 fricken times, blew up at least 6 sets of U-Joints, twisted the drive shaft like a pretzel and blew up so many clutches that I couldn't even try to guess the number. At the end, my regular mechanic could R&R the transmission in 20 minutes flat.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #33 (permalink)

Funny how all these syncros or gears are failing.
On mine, the 4th gear syncro failed on my second year.
GM voided my warrantee over the installation of the Hahns Stage II Turbo.
I had a lawyer involved until the demise of Saturn.
Purchased a new 2.0 trans and installed it.
Have yet to have an issue. Cross my fingers.
jchao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #34 (permalink)

No offense guys, but for the high HP cars, this is probably not too bad of a deal.

All similar 6 speed cars have a similar price tag on the trans.... 4-7k depending on what you are getting. Only difference here is that you need a 3k install kit to convert the sky over to accept it.

IMO, if your plan to push some power, and actually use it, this is probably the best option, and DDM is an awesome company to take the time to R&D things like this to work in the sky.

For reference, a V160 (6sp manual) for my car costs about $3500 used with some miles and $6700 new from the dealer. That does NOT include the clutch, TOB, slave, flywheel, etc.

I really think this should be a serious thought to anyone with a built motor. The 5 speed isn't going to work forever when you are at double the rated power level it was meant to see. So if you want to be able to use the power that you spent all the money building, I think this should be penciled in the budget. Its a horrible feeling to have so much power, and not be able to shift it!

Example?

miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #35 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
If anyone is interested, I have the Punisher's factory 5 speed taking up space in my garage. 20k easy miles.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Dave
Will you be doing T56 installs at the mod meet?

Quick question,
So when this is installed what happens to the torque arm?
Is that no longer used?

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
Elff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Dave
Will you be doing T56 installs at the mod meet?

Quick question,
So when this is installed what happens to the torque arm?
Is that no longer used?
It actually could be done at a mod meet, it really is not too much harder with all of the pieces then doing a clutch job.

With the swap, the torque arm goes away. We have a special backbone that the back of the transmission mounts to and a special mount for the differential. Works like a champ.
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #38 (permalink)

Nice

Wheels in brain cogs are spinning hard

Old 12-23-2013, 03:00 AM   #39 (permalink)

Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question about this, I have an automatic and really want a manual. I could sell mine and look and look and look and hope to find a manual, but they just don't pop up in my area much. In terms of the parts for this, it seems to probably be about what I'd have to come out of pocket with if I sold mine and found a manual. My question is, what kind of $$$ labor wise would I be looking at here? Perhaps I should just sell mine and look for a stock manual but this mod does intrigue me. $6500'ish isn't bad, but if the labor is going to set me back another $1,500 that's going to be too rich for my blood.
quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebert View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question about this, I have an automatic and really want a manual. I could sell mine and look and look and look and hope to find a manual, but they just don't pop up in my area much. In terms of the parts for this, it seems to probably be about what I'd have to come out of pocket with if I sold mine and found a manual. My question is, what kind of $$$ labor wise would I be looking at here? Perhaps I should just sell mine and look for a stock manual but this mod does intrigue me. $6500'ish isn't bad, but if the labor is going to set me back another $1,500 that's going to be too rich for my blood.
It will easily be 1500 in labor I would think. maybe less if you take it to DDM for the install though. Give 'em a call and ask!
miller11386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #41 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor
Lifetime Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave@ddmworks
Quote:
Originally Posted by quebert View Post
The stock manual transmissions show up for sale online pretty often and you could have it shipped for not that much typically depending on your location. We know where several stock transmissions are that have less then 20 miles on them and they are asking $650 each for them. There are some other pieces that are needed, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, shifter, etc. Also there are some small changes needed to the wiring harness to make it work when switching from a auto to manual and vice versa. If you want a quote on specific work, feel free to send an email to us or give a call and we will give you the options.

Hope that helps!
Dave
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com
Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 340whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane
Dave@ddmworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #42 (permalink)

Speaking of which

I have a stock Manual transmission for sale.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller11386 View Post
It will easily be 1500 in labor I would think. maybe less if you take it to DDM for the install though. Give 'em a call and ask!
DDM would have been my 1st choice if not for me being in CA and them being on SC. I suppose I could have the car shipped, but I'm guessing that would be pricey, and it would take lord knows how long to actually get it back. I don't have a back up car and if I was to rent one + pay to ship mine + pay for all the parts needed + labor I'm pretty sure I could almost buy a Manual Redline outright and still keep mine And I fear you're correct on the labor, it might just be easier to try and sell mine then attempt to find a manual for sale around here.
quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Supporting Vendors > DDM Works