Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Garage
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R

So I finally got my RE-71Rs. Skersfan got some and after seeing them, and my Delentes finally wearing to the cord...almost, I decided to pull the trigger on these.

I was told by the tire tech that these are the tires he wants for the 350Z he tracks and that they are THE street tire to have for Autocross/Track days. Wear is very fast he said so I'll report how they wear on my car.

I'm changing my front camber from -2.5 to -1.5 to get more even wear on these tires plus I don't think the front is rolling over enough with the Z0K sway bars to justify the extra -1 degree. Plan on going Autocrossing in June so we'll see how they do there.

New tires, the turbo (finalizing the tune this week I hope)...should be an interesting Autocross season for me.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Better pic of the tread...

I have to say these tires grip amazingly! I have pushed them harder than I ever did my old tires and they have yet to protest. No squeezing even in the slightest. Totally regaining confidence in the handling of the car. Longevity is the only question now because grip, ride comfort, and noise are all great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160424_131224_1461530075469.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	79777  

Last edited by Robotech; 04-25-2016 at 01:06 AM.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Nice looking tires. I bet they would get pretty sporty in the wet.

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 12:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's about time :-)
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Garage
The comments on Discount Tires testing videos, state they work better than most other dry weather tires, or something close to that. I am anxious to get mine on the ground soon. I drove the car yesterday with the Michelin Super Sports so will have a pretty good idea of what I want for my yellow car. I am leaning towards these.
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
It's about time :-)
I know, right? The guy who put them on was the same guy that put on my last set of Delente's about a year ago. He said the same thing followed by "I still can't believe you Autocrossed this on Delentes!" LOL These are an amazing step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Nice looking tires. I bet they would get pretty sporty in the wet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
The comments on Discount Tires testing videos, state they work better than most other dry weather tires, or something close to that.
I think you mean for the wet, right skersfan? I read the same thing that compared to other Extreme Summer tires these are really good in the wet. They are NOT meant for really wet environments and luckily here in So Cal we don't get a lot of wet...especially in summer.

All the weird handling stuff I was dealing with before like the car squatting under power mid turn...gone. I hate to say this but nobody is keeping up with me this coming weekend. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
They are THE street tire to have for Autocross.
Last I heard it was a tie between the RE-71R and the BFG Rival S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Wear is very fast he said so I'll report how they wear on my car
You should get around 10-15 thousand miles out of them.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 speed
Fujita intake and charge tubes / Gutted cat / 3 bar MAPS / Tuned with HP Tuners / Stoptech Street Performance pads / DDM SS brake lines / ATE Type 200 fluid
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
The Michelin PSS gets a Tire Rack wet rating of 9.1 for wet traction and 9.0 for anti-hydroplaning (dry traction = 9.6).

The Potenza RE-71R gets 7.6 and 7.3, and dry of 9.7. So very slightly better in the dry than the Michelins but a lot worse in the wet. Given the weather up here, that's not a trade off I'd opt for, but you guys in sunnier climes might.

1957 Jamaican - MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 04-25-2016 at 02:39 PM.
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 PM

Garage
I hate the Michelins, hoping the Bridgestones are better. I watched a pretty long video on the tires when I decided to buy them. They were comparing 5 different tires and the Bridgestones came out on top, but honestly don't remember if they Super Sports were on the list.

And as you say Bill, our weather here leans more towards the dry roads, and I don't drive mine in the rain so they should be the best I can get. I have had them a month or so, but still have not hit the ground, waiting on the new pair of wheels to be finished. Should have them in another 10 days or so I hope. Anxious to try them. I know Robo seems to like them. But he says they are twitchy, follow the groves of the freeway, just like the Super Sports. May just be what has to happen, but my old original tires feel much better as far as control on the freeway. I hate changing lanes when the tire wants to, rather make that choice myself. lol

I am sure it is just the freeway system, way more traffic on ours than what Robo drives. Main route to the east coast for every truck out of LA it seems.

Last edited by skersfan; 04-25-2016 at 03:56 PM.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I hate the Michelins, .....
What did you hate about the Michelins?

John
Lexington, KY
VIN 00252 2.4 Manual Midnight Blue
2008 Redline Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
For those who don't like the way their new tires handle... One thing you MUST do is find the correct and appropriate tire pressure for your new tires. DO NOT SIMPLY GO BY THE PRESSURE ON THE DOOR JAMB!!!! That pressure was defined for your original factory tires and may have no correspondence to different makes/models of tire. Certainly, too low a pressure will cause your tire edges to bite more and increase the tracking of ruts and camber far more than they should.

I swapped my crap OEM tires out at less than a 1000 miles and went with Conti DWS's (so called Ultra-High-Performance All Seasons). After much experimentation, I found the best pressure was in the 34-35 PSI range (way up from the factory 29 PSI). Other tires will differ.

There was considerable discussion on this some years ago, and a formula was found (elsewhere on the web) that you could plug in your tire's characteristics to find a good starting point. More info in the thread here: At what pressure do I run my replacement tires at - A formula , but to save reading, the formula is as below. On using this for my Conti's, sure enough, the value came out to ~34 PSI.

Quote:

Inflation PSI = Z*X*35%/Y

Where:
X= Gross vehicle weight (lbs)
Y= max load per tire - as marked on sidewall (lbs)
Z= max tire pressure - as marked on sidewall (PSI)

For our cars (stock tires) where X=3000; Y=1565; Z=44, this gives:

44*3000*.35/1565 = 29.5 psi

Note that the max tire PSI and max load correspond to the particular tire's stiffness and build. That's why this formula works.

<YMMV>

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...

Last edited by TomatoSoup; 04-25-2016 at 04:39 PM.
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know I'm on the wrong thread but I can't seam to start a new thread under this new format. Can I get a administrator to contact me ?
In the meantime, my odometor reads oil life 97%. How do I get it back to the milage reading. I have the base model. Thanks
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaTarbo View Post
Last I heard it was a tie between the RE-71R and the BFG Rival S.

You should get around 10-15 thousand miles out of them.
Everything we here out here is RE-71Rs. If I get 15K miles out of them, I'm estatic! 10K is about 6 months of use for me but 15K would put it closer to a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
The Michelin PSS gets a Tire Rack wet rating of 9.1 for wet traction and 9.0 for anti-hydroplaning (dry traction = 9.6).

The Potenza RE-71R gets 7.6 and 7.3, and dry of 9.7. So very slightly better in the dry than the Michelins but a lot worse in the wet. Given the weather up here, that's not a trade off I'd opt for, but you guys in sunnier climes might.
Yes, these are not optimal tires in the wet. If you compare them to other tires in their class (the PSS are in a different sub class under summer tires) they are superior in the wet.

In the dry though, in competition, I'll take every last bit I can get.

Quote:
I know Robo seems to like them. But he says they are twitchy, follow the groves of the freeway, just like the Super Sports.

I am sure it is just the freeway system, way more traffic on ours than what Robo drives.
I drove the 60/215 to 10 back from the tire shop and they felt good to me but they were a bit more responsive than my stock tires (that's sarcasm...they were a LOT more responsive). I didn't notice them picking up the ruts in the freeway but then again I think back to riding my motorcycles and how they'd pick up a rut...never had a car feel that way so maybe my rut-o-meter is off after riding motorcycles. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
There was considerable discussion on this some years ago, and a formula was found (elsewhere on the web) that you could plug in your tire's characteristics to find a good starting point. More info in the thread here: At what pressure do I run my replacement tires at - A formula , but to save reading, the formula is as below. On using this for my Conti's, sure enough, the value came out to ~34 PSI.

Note that the max tire PSI and max load correspond to the particular tire's stiffness and build. That's why this formula works.

<YMMV>
TS, thanks so much for that! Now I know where I'm going to start my tire pressure at once I get my car back from the dealer tomorrow. The local Chevy dealer got it up on their alignment rack (The one at the neighboring GMC dealer I usually take my car too is too high. The Chevy dealer has this one for Corvettes) and I have my front Camber stood back up to 1.5 degrees. At 2.5 the inner tread of the tire was just wearing too much and with the firmer shock and sway bar setup I have up front compared to most Kappa Autocrossers, I think 2.5 was just too much for the amount of roll I was seeing up front.

1.5 in the rear looked great on wear so we'll see how this behaves with this setup.

Did I mention I love these tires? Dear lord they hook up. Came through a turn yesterday that normally, if I applied a bit of throttle on exit the back end would step out. I came in faster, rolled into the throttle sooner and deeper with about 3 more lbs of boost than I had been running before, and the car just WENT. Oh it was nice.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 05:10 PM

Garage
I have played with the air pressure some TS. I just don't like the tracking of the grooves in the road. Will play with them some more. It does not bother the wife, so not a big deal. I just did not want the same type of situation, but according to Robo it will be.
post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Thumbs up Great math, Thanks Robo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
For those who don't like the way their new tires handle... One thing you MUST do is find the correct and appropriate tire pressure for your new tires. DO NOT SIMPLY GO BY THE PRESSURE ON THE DOOR JAMB!!!! That pressure was defined for your original factory tires and may have no correspondence to different makes/models of tire. Certainly, too low a pressure will cause your tire edges to bite more and increase the tracking of ruts and camber far more than they should.

I swapped my crap OEM tires out at less than a 1000 miles and went with Conti DWS's (so called Ultra-High-Performance All Seasons). After much experimentation, I found the best pressure was in the 34-35 PSI range (way up from the factory 29 PSI). Other tires will differ.

<YMMV>
Its good to know this!

Lysholm 1.6 supercharger
T56 6 speed transmission
2.4 with L61 cyl head
Non VVT comp cams
DDM long tune header.
RK hood & Grnd Effects
DDMWorks suspension mods
AEM Meth Injection kit.
Elect exhaust cutout
VDI Doors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.