Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R - Page 6 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension Discuss all your wheel & tires topics here...
Sponsored by Discount Tire

User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting. Still, 0.2" is a good amount of rubber when you're pushing the car to it's edge.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Look again. The extra 0.2" belongs to the 225 not the 245. I'm telling you these tire manufactures are trying to cheat us.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 speed
Fujita intake and charge tubes / Gutted cat / 3 bar MAPS / Tuned with HP Tuners / Stoptech Street Performance pads / DDM SS brake lines / ATE Type 200 fluid
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Garage
Huh, you're right. That makes no sense.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
First a lil background... I >was< compiling a pretty massive spreadsheet of all the tire rack test track results. I wanted to see how the various categories compare to each other because tire rack almost always compares category to category. I found many places where numbers for the same tire were different. Same test car, but different days... shrugs... It did kinda take the wind outta my sails for that little project tho.

Now, to these tires and their differences...

1. The specs tire rack lists say "max pressure", not what they actually set the tire at. Is it set to the specs of their BMW test vehicle? Some arbitrary number (IE 30 PSI)? Is every tire set to the same number? How precise are they at making sure these pressures are the same?

1.a. - Are they measuring loaded or unloaded? This page seems to show unloaded: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=201 Also, even looking at the picture they show that they are not measuring every last bit of tread. They're measuring the amount that's touched by their tool. That may or many not be a great measure for every style of driving, let alone every tire pressure or unloaded versus loaded.

2. The measured rim sizes are different for the two sizes you're comparing. Meaning... if you put the 225's on the same 8" rims, you will get different numbers than what TR has measured. They even talk about this: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=200

And then there are the other unknowns... When did they measure each tire? How tall is each technician (point of view changes EVERYTHING)? Is every tech super diligent?

There's just something wayyyy off about that S-04 225 showing more tread width than the S-04 245. Hell, it shows 1.5" more tread than the SAME SIZE (225) RE-71R?!?!? Sorry, gotta call BS on that one. Oh, and the 245 S-04 has .7" more tread than the RE-71? I'm pretty sure that HAS to be a result of shoulder design and other variables (pressure, tires not loaded, etc...)

It's the same kind of weird variance that took the wind out of my massive tire comparison spreadsheet.
davhamm likes this.

Be a part of the solution!
and
DFTT
--
In fond rememberance... We miss ya' Skip, but we'll never ferget ya! :)
--

Last edited by Nova-Exarch; 02-22-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova-Exarch View Post
...I'm pretty sure that HAS to be a result of shoulder design and other variables (pressure, tires not loaded, etc...)...
I think this is probably the case. The MPSS has a very curved shoulder and there is a clear "line" of wear on the tire between what touches the ground and what doesn't. The structure and design of the tire plays a large role in its physical size. It really is frustrating, you do tons of research and try to find the very best for your car only to end up more uncertain than you were before.

I think in the long run the tenths of an inch difference in tread width ins't going to be felt buy the driver. As long as you get a good summer tire you will be able to get the most out of your car and have fun in it.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 speed
Fujita intake and charge tubes / Gutted cat / 3 bar MAPS / Tuned with HP Tuners / Stoptech Street Performance pads / DDM SS brake lines / ATE Type 200 fluid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.