Installing GT Manufaktur Gas spring for trunk lid - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Skyroadster.com Merchandise Click here to visit the Skyroadster.com store

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Installing GT Manufaktur Gas spring for trunk lid

I have read the posts about this "trunk lifter", corresponded with Werner at GT-Manufaktur, (he sent the installation instructions) and I now have the assembly in hand. My car is a 2007 Solstice GXP. I don't happen to have a Sky roadster for comparison on the trunk body structure. Mounting to the trunk lid is no problem, however...nowhere is the installation of the body mount in the trunk shown. It is always shown in place, either in the instructions on on the forum. Does the Sky have two bolt holes or is it simply the open space, about the size of an old time 35mm slide. The forward facing plate with the two bolts slop around in that space until you cinch them up to the lower gas strut mount. That's what it looks like on the Solstice.

There is no mention of how to align the bottom assembly relative to that square opening so the gas strut is aligned properly. Maybe I'm asking for more information than this needs to make it work but it sure would be nice to get it right the first time. There are also no lock washers for the two bolts and until you begin to tighten them there's a bit of movement there.

I appreciate any helpful information. If you have installed one of these then you probably know what I'm talking about. Next step is for me to post photos I reckon.

Thanks,
Richard Snipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Garage
Richard, I have helped install one of these but that area of the trunk is one of the few places on our cars that differ from Sky (Opel GT) and the Solstice. I can't remember how that goes but perhaps someone here will be able to better assist you.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
I installed one on my first Sky just a couple of months ago, and it was pretty straight-forward.

I also wonder if you are running into a difference between the Sky and Solstice here.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
I remember seeing that the Solstice mount is more difficult (different), but can't remember where I saw it. Search the Solstice forum - it was probably there.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Richard, see if this video clip I made, helps in any way.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...GRIVmVuc2ZjSEU

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta and DDM bracing
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Guys, I'll do my best to post some photos in the morning and perhaps that will clarify things. The Solstice merely has an open square the lower mount bolts go through, small plate on the trunk side and bracket on the rear side, if you will....

If the Sky has two bolt holes rather than the open square then there's the difference. Jim, the video is quite good however it does not show the lower mount bolt assembly except in the completed state. You could probably verify the mount procedure with a glance and a touch.

TS, I swear I've combed the Solsticefourm and come up empty so many times on this. The Sky guys are all over it and the seat belt guide installation. One Solstice owner did say the trunk lift works and I think it will. It's the initial slop that concerns me and the bolts backing out allowing shifting over a couple of times opening and closing. Like I said there are no lock washers and the nuts are not nylock so only thread torque is keeping this thing in alignment, at least in my observation. I so want it to work.

Thanks,
Richard Snipes
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thread lock should help. I'm not sure if we used that on Jim's.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 06:06 PM
BDS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4501 Safari View Post
Guys, I'll do my best to post some photos in the morning and perhaps that will clarify things. The Solstice merely has an open square the lower mount bolts go through, small plate on the trunk side and bracket on the rear side, if you will....
I ended up building my own based on GT Manufaktur's design.
Based on your description, the SKY is the same as the Solstice - an open square. The plates are larger than the hole and bolts are at a diagonal toward the corners of the open square, helping to keep the mounting from twisting. Each plate will 'sandwich' the bracket on either side. I just used lock washers.

Last edited by Robotech; 03-30-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: OCD making me fix broken quote tag.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Thread lock should help. I'm not sure if we used that on Jim's.
I dont recall having to use any thread lock on mine. It was your buddy visiting from Mexico that installed it for me as you may recall, during our mod day (I forget his name). As I recall though it was a slam-dunk installation and I had not realized it would be different on the Solstice. I will see if I can get better pictures/video around the mount point but I am reluctant to loosen as its working so nicely!

Jim
Techo Gray 2008 Sky RL with Trifecta and DDM bracing
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Ugh, **** happens. Since I need to do this to my car, figured I could run out install take lots of pics and get it done and help out. Hmm can't pop trunk, lets start car its been sitting for few months anyhow. Hmm seems to have no power, battery must have run dead.. **** key now stuck. I have no battery charger, car pulled in garage nose first not getting jumper cables in. Need to go get a jump pack to get the key out, arg if its not one thing its two others.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
The purpose of this is get trunk to open fully when remote is pushed? If so, why not just a simple spring? My trunk fully opens when I hit remote. Am i missing something?
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
How can I order one of these ?????

Web site was German only that I saw. Help me out here.

Thanks, Larry

EDIT OK, looked around and found a post from Davhamm. Good to go just email him, wait on paypal invoice, send money , DONE.

Thanks, Larry

Last edited by Z06-Redline; 03-30-2017 at 09:47 PM.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompass View Post
The purpose of this is get trunk to open fully when remote is pushed? If so, why not just a simple spring? My trunk fully opens when I hit remote. Am i missing something?
Yes. If a strong breeze is blowing and catches the trunk it can fling open and damage the hinges and/or trunk. This is a strut with a shock and it controls how fast the trunk opens and if the wind catches it, it will slow it and keep it from damaging the trunk. The spring won't. It also looks nice and factory.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Got it. Did not think of that.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompass View Post
Your trunk opens fully - right now. Over time the spring gets weaker and eventually will not open the trunk without manually assisting it.

I installed this on my first Sky (did not use Loctite, but I seem to remember that there WERE lock washers provided). I do not have it on my new Sky yet, but will probably be ordering one soon. It's a great product, I highly recommend it.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > SKYRoadster News & Polls > Skyroadster.com Merchandise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« T-Shirts | - »