Saturn Sky Forum banner

Dual Problem

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Robotech 
#1 ·
Ok guys here's the thing, last week after coming back home from a friends place i parked the car, waited 2 minutes and when i turned the key to turn the car off it did the same thing it would do if i started it in gear (hiccup).

Didn't pay much attention (although i was surprised when it made that sudden movement) until yesterday when i turned the key to start it up and all the gauges went to bellow zero, speed, RPM and even fuel.

It did turn on the 2nd time i tried but yes now i am worried.
Is this the infamous missfire or something else?

Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
Never had that on the sky but have had the needle thing happen in my explorer...usually due to bad battery or loose major connection. Not much to go off here, unfortunately a worst case scenario not being able to replicate it, and (seemingly) two very different issues.

Curious question- do euro cars have a clutch/neutral safety switch? Having to start with the clutch depressed is a US thing I think?

#9 ·
The car is the same as the Redline so yes in order to start you need to press the clutch.

As for the first part if it was a battery error the lights wouldn't turn on, not the exterior nor the interior ones (plus the battery is like 4 months old). My lights all turned on and so did the gauges....They just fell straight down like the engine was unable to start or something like that.....Heard many times about a misfire and i thought this could be it.

#14 ·
Ok but how could the battery make the car behave that way when i turned it off? It was the same like when you turn it on and there's a gear in already (it makes a sudden move and stops).

Also if the battery was faulty wouldn't the lights and instruments stay dead?

Anyways if it's the battery no worries, i was afraid it was something else far more serious.

#15 ·
I would throw up a theory here... a poor ground strap contact. You started the engine and the starter moved a bit, caused the ground point to fail briefly, which effectively turned the car off. Needles moved as they would when turning car on/off.

If it starts happening again, go round checking all the engine/bay ground point contacts.

The above is just a theory - could also be the battery ;)

#16 ·
Will do but that doesn't explain the first issue....If i'm lucky and its a battery / ground issue good but i am worried because of the first thing.....
In any case the car didn't record any codes and the engine light is not turned on so that's good i guess.

#19 ·
When you encountered it the first time, you mentioned it lurched forward. It was in neutral (and/or clutch was depressed)? Am I understanding that right? I would be much more concerned about the clutch engaging while it shouldn't have.

Second instance seems clear. I'd still say battery connection or ground wire, as others pointed out. If the car lurched forward, it could have unsettled the battery or knocked something loose.

#21 ·
Like i said i came back, parked the car, put it on neutral (natural), left it running for a couple of minutes and when i turned the key to the off possition the car made a sudden movement for like a split second similar to that movement it would do if i turned it on with a gear in the shifter.

As for the 2nd if it ever does it again i will take it to the dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.