Saturn Sky Forum banner

Turbo Upgrade - THoughts or Suggestions

19K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  wspohn 
#1 ·
I was getting ready to do the DDMWorks GT2871 turbo upgrade but they're no longer offering it. Just wondering about options without needing to take out a second mortgage. I currently have a 2008 Redline, GM Performance tune, GM cold air intake, Trifecta tune, Solo Performance Ultra High Flow Cat, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust.

Anyone?

#2 ·
I went thru RPM Motorsports. I did all of the work and did the tune remotely. Very nice upgrade with plenty of power. My 2009 Ruby Redline is now in the Goldie-locks zone. Not so much power you can’t go for nice Sunday drive with your special someone, yet enough power to pin you to the seat and surprise the Mustangs and Camaros ?

#3 ·
After a bunch of deliberation last month I ended up going with the RPM "Big Wheel" K04 upgrade. As far as I know there isn't any other option that is dual scroll, and single-scroll introduces more turbo lag, which I definitely did not want. And the power band is still somewhat flat (though not as much so as stock). I wasn't as much interested in a big number in a short RPM range with lag. So that, Solo high flow cat, and Solo Street Race exhaust. I also ordered the DDM clutch and aluminum flywheel package. I'm planning to have Wester's do the tune.

None of it is installed yet though; the exhaust and cat (which I'm going to do) showed up last week. The clutch and turbo I'm going to have my ASE certified mechanic buddy do, when they arrive.

This should get the car to the 350-375 HP range, which is both a big jump from the GMPP tune and still under the 400 number where stock engine internals reportedly need to be addressed.

#15 · (Edited)
At the engine maybe, If you put your car on a dyno afterwards, expect around 325 wheel HP.

You don't need a new clutch for this power output and let me tell you, and JohnnyGXP can back me up on this, as well as some others,
The DDM CLUTCH SUCKS!!
You will hate your car every time you have to start it from a dead stop in first gear.

Stick with your stock clutch. Trust someone who has been there done that.
Don't consider replacing your clutch until you blow it, and even then, replace it with a stock one.

#9 ·
Now you are just pun-ishing me!

Clearly an un-savory character I shall not offer you any further encourage-mint!!

#10 ·
RPM Stage 2

Does anyone know of a video showing the replacement of the fuel injectors for the Stage 2 Tune? The Mike Martin Youtube series shows the Part 1 of the Stage 2 but not the part where he replaces the fuel injectors. I am comfortable with general mechanics but not sure how difficult this will be. Also, it seems like there is a bit of back and forth RPM to get the tune figured out. How difficult is the process overall?

#11 ·
Does anyone know of a video showing the replacement of the fuel injectors for the Stage 2 Tune? The Mike Martin Youtube series shows the Part 1 of the Stage 2 but not the part where he replaces the fuel injectors. I am comfortable with general mechanics but not sure how difficult this will be. Also, it seems like there is a bit of back and forth RPM to get the tune figured out. How difficult is the process overall?
Why don't you contact RPM instead of asking third parties? If they can't explain it to you, you probably shouldn't be using them.

#27 ·
I know after I get to the track one more time with mine this spring (hopefully I'll get low 13's after the hfc) instead of going the bigger turbo route I'm going to go with the e47 ethanol tune! I wonder why most folks who like the performance of their trifecta tunes, but "think it needs a little more" don't just try the e47 route. From everything I've read it really does seem to hit the spot for most. I do understand those that don't have ethanol, but for the ones that do it really seems like a good choice!

I've seen dynos in the 330-350 range and torque all the way in the 400 ft lbs range. I already know that will be all that I'll ever need on mine. It should also hopefully get me in the 12's with stockish (non drag radial) tires (I'm hoping anyway). That's all I really ever wanted for my car.

These turbo upgrades seem like they would typically be overkill if folks only think their trifecta tuned kappas just need a "little more umpf." Maybe it's just me I dunno...lol...

#28 ·
E45 is a pain in the butt for most people is why it's not as popular. You can't go up to a gas station and fill with E47 to my knowledge, you have to blend it. This means that you need to only fill your tank when it's almost empty or be extra festidigeous when filling to get the two quantities of fuel just right. Hard? No, but far more work than your average person is willing to do on a regular basis. Even meth turns most folks off as it has to be refilled.

#31 ·
Meaning if you personally don't have the ability to fix it, make it work, it most likely never will. I have been fighting it for over a year now. The only real answer is to pull all the crap off the car and throw in in the trash, that is the only way, but the possibility of internal damage done from this will most likely rear its ugly head then.

I ran into several people at the National that had the exact same problems with their Turbo upgrades and their clutch upgrade. The vendor just shruggs his shoulders and walks away, it has happened to me twice, you would think after the first bend over I would have learned. Tread carefully.

#32 ·
Skersfan, reading your thread is what made me feel that way. I'd much rather have to use two different pumps half and half at fill up than to have to go through the nightmare that you are going through!

That is a pain! Regarding the clutch...once I stopped trying to be cute and just bought the spec stage 3 clutch and flywheel I've had no problems! If recommend to anyone to just go with my setup if they need to hold the power.

Mix and match clutch kits are a crapshoot. He'll it was a nightmare When I tried to go the spec stage 3 and stock flywheel route. The machining on the stock flywheel was just a hair off and my clutch would slip for the first 500 rpms in every gear before finally holding.

#33 ·
If you have access to E85 its super easy to blend it.
Just add the same amount of 93 Octane and E85 everytime.
If you get caught at a non E85 gas station and are empty juat flip to a 93 OctAne tune until you can reblend.
When first going for the mix, you can err on putting a little too much E85. Wont hurt if the Octane is too high and if its only 1 gallon off, it wont affect fuel delivery

The problem with E85 is the fuel injectors. The stock seals need to be replaced or they will eventually fail.
Thats not an easy job for some people, but its really not hard.

Also need to be careful with the stock valve springs and high revs.

Personally I loved my 2871 kit. It was as easy to maintain as stock. I did have help from a super talented Tuner, but he is no longer doing that.

The completely crappy EFR kit and crappy engine build was the ultimate downfall of my Sky. I am with Skersfan
Stay away from that vendor

#37 ·
If you have access to E85 its super easy to blend it.
Just add the same amount of 93 Octane and E85 everytime.
If you get caught at a non E85 gas station and are empty juat flip to a 93 OctAne tune until you can reblend.
When first going for the mix, you can err on putting a little too much E85. Wont hurt if the Octane is too high and if its only 1 gallon off, it wont affect fuel delivery

The problem with E85 is the fuel injectors. The stock seals need to be replaced or they will eventually fail.
Thats not an easy job for some people, but its really not hard.

Also need to be careful with the stock valve springs and high revs.
Like I said, not hard but most folks just would rather not mess with it and for me personally, unless there is some sort of fail safe (lower boost, different tune, etc) I wouldn't want to run a car tuned for E45 or E85 on 93 (or worse, 91 like we have here). That's been one of the big factors keeping me away from E85. For the 2.4 I can throw bigger injectors on it so I could run straight E85 but we don't have a lot of stations around here with it yet on my commute to make me comfortable with switching it entirely (my injector seals and return lines are all E85 ready).

Now, if I could find an easy way to switch between an E85 tune and a 91 tune without changing injectors or reflashing the car, I'd be in.

#41 ·
Say someone did want to add a water/meth system... what are the best options out there right now? Most of the threads on it are 10 years old, and I have to think that controllers have come a long way since then. The idea that a fail safe if you run out of fluid really peaked my interest.

I watch the Race Proven Motorsports YouTube channel for fun, but they install a lot of meth systems and have their own pieced together system available for $1,000 (https://race-proven-motorsports.myshopify.com/products/rpm-meth-system-parts-only) but I doubt the tank that they use would fit anywhere in the car. Anyone have any feelings on the parts that they use, as you can buy a "fender mount" version of the ProMeth kit that would probably fit in the trunk easily. Or maybe this should be it's own thread...

#42 ·
Could be but at the same time since we've opened this thread to alternatives to bigger turbos it may not be that far off topic. I don't think this should become a discussion as to the nuances between different meth systems but if someone wants to post suggestions or for tank options I don't think that's too far out there.

I've heard many (Not necessarily Sky owners) use their washer fluid tanks as a meth kit since you can run 20% washer fluid and water as a solution. Kind of make it do double duty.

#45 ·
Almost every install we have done on the Solstice/Sky with Water/Meth has used the windshield washer reservoir for the tank. We keep the windshield washer pump hooked up and the reservoir does double duty, that is why we also typically tune the Water/Meth using the -20 windshield washer fluid as you can use it to keep your windshield clean and your engine making more power.
Really does make the most sense.

#49 ·
You are limited by how much room there is in the housing for a larger wheel. I had figures on the diameter of the one I have (somewhere) but would have to find them and then you'd have to ask RPM what diameter they are going to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.