Saturn Sky Forum banner

Heavy Heavy Heart

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  DaveOC 
#1 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Personal luxury car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Convertible

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Luxury vehicle

It is with a heavy heavy heart that I have to say they have totaled my Sky. I am posting this to say that it held up incredibly to the car that rear ended it going approximately 45mph and never hit the brakes. I hope the pics I have uploaded will come through. It demolished a 2016 VW Jetta, and held its own incredibly. Due to the trouble getting parts and the expense and length of time, they have decided it was totaled. We thought about trying to buy it back, but just do not have the space or time to fix it. I have received my new Fiat Spider 124 Abarth edition, but I am still very much missing my beautiful Sky! Stay safe everyone!

Melinda :frown

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Automotive design

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you know where the car has gone? How long ago did the accident happen? What city/state are you in? Your ability to purchase the car back may have lapsed, yes / no? From the photos, it appears the top, headlights, tail lights, and front fenders might be in excellent shape and probably many other pieces too. The photos tell me it is an NA.

Not for me, but I'd bet your car might have a lot of value yet. Frankly, I agree it is a shame that car is not being put back on the road. There are people on this forum that are trying to resurrect cars that are in much, much worse shape. Did you even get to an insurance company number of what it would take for you to buy the car back?

Don't know if this is what I suspect it does, but maybe Glenn will get notice. @hoosiergxp

#3 · (Edited)
I agree with Bill...Silver Pearl no less. I wouldn't mind purchasing some parts. Either the insurance company did not do their due diligence or someone wants that car. From the pics...and u cannot really tell much from pics because u can have frame damage....and then u must total the car, but it certainly looks salvageable. Parts are easy to find. Woudn't mind buying a fender...where is that car going? LOL (not laughing)

Just noticed the plate. That is a Florida car....I'll be right over. Where R U? Still looking at your car...I see just above the chicklet on your fender...does that plate say "GM Performance"?

Few people remember this...the concept cars had GM Performance plates like u display on your car....if thats what it says.

#4 ·
Glad your ok there. The Sky did hold up well from the photos you posted. Frame bent? That will buff out...no problem. The Jetta took the big hit.

Switching from the Kappa to the 124 Fiat is a good thing for now. More modern with available parts.

Your totaled Sky has parts available for someone out there? Motor, body panels, top, interior etc. I think it is the other way around here. The Jetta is the only that is totaled, your car could be in the shop for 3-4 months, and several thousand dollars later it might be a track car only mode. There are other Kappas, low mileage & in great shape still out there, should you get the itch to get back in one later.

Your car can be replaced, you can not. Be thankful. Avoid any Jetta's in the future with the new car.
Well gang another one bites the dust. Sad to see. AT 45 mph, didn't see it... not paying attention on the road, talking on the cell, while eating a cheeseburger, & reading a work brief... the masses at work again with our gem. They truly can't see it, or not paying attention once again.

Arrive Alive.

LAC

#6 ·
Good one there TS... your not the first person to mention my coffee intake. I do make strong coffee most days, then again I do get up at 4 or 5 am too.

Ok back on topic I just hate to see another one of our gems take a hit like this, because the masses are not... paying attention once again.

LAC

#7 ·
View attachment 102931

View attachment 102933

View attachment 102935

It is with a heavy heavy heart that I have to say they have totaled my Sky. I am posting this to say that it held up incredibly to the car that rear ended it going approximately 45mph and never hit the brakes. I hope the pics I have uploaded will come through. It demolished a 2016 VW Jetta, and held its own incredibly. Due to the trouble getting parts and the expense and length of time, they have decided it was totaled. We thought about trying to buy it back, but just do not have the space or time to fix it. I have received my new Fiat Spider 124 Abarth edition, but I am still very much missing my beautiful Sky! Stay safe everyone!

Melinda :frown

View attachment 102937
Depending on what they want for you to buy it back, maybe someone here would be willing to pay that for the whole car and pick it up from you.

#8 ·
I cant hardly believe that car is totaled unless the airbags went off. I got rear ended at about the same speed and it looked much worse than that. Both ends were hit on my car as a jeep hit me and pushed me into the car in front of me. I needed a new bumper, headlight and intercooler on just front and they fixed the car without issue. It had a tweak in the frame, but lucky for me I have some exceptional collision experts where I am. When they fixed my frame, I didn't even need an alignment!

IIRC I had around $8k in damage, but again, it was 2 ends of the car that needed fixed.

Thread of my accident
https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/sky-crunch-my-kappa-just-unlucky-36952/

Definitely look into the buy back cost if they really are totaling that car. I could be interested in it!

***Disclaimer, my interest is by no means a purchase agreement***

#9 ·
Due to the trouble getting parts and the expense and length of time, they have decided it was totaled.
Sorry for your loss, it was a beautiful Sky. BTW, your remarks on why it was totaled translates to the insurance adjuster saying to themselves that it was easier for them to total it, than having to deal with a body shop and having it repaired.

Also, while I'm sure that the Fiat is a fine car, that pic of the two of them together shows how much nicer the Sky looks. Folks, chances are this may show up on Erepairables in a few weeks.

#10 ·
How close to 32258?

Since it's amazing how stuff we are looking for is often "down the street" so to speak. I thought I'd ask if the car is near 32258 in FL. I look at erepairables when they send an email and rarely is a car close by. I'd like to put a complete good top on the shelf for when...parts let cars live on.

I had a new original 1972 Fiat 124 Spider. The new Abarth Spider seems quite the car, with it's Mazda roots. There was a great demo video when it came out. I'm sure it is enjoyable.

Richard Snipes

#12 ·
I had a new original 1972 Fiat 124 Spider. The new Abarth Spider seems quite the car, with it's Mazda roots. There was a great demo video when it came out. I'm sure it is enjoyable.
My son has the new Fiata Abarth Spider. It's quite a nice car. Here's a pic from last summer next to my Solstice.

:thumbs:

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
Seems the car that hit you sustained more damage, hood pealed back, clueless driver (a moron). Was yours really totaled? They almost totaled mine, but my saving grace was an entire long block (intercooler to tranny and everything in between) replacement 12k miles earlier.

Here's the sad story on mine:

Saturn Forum

Solstice Forum

I'm still in the repair stage, hope to get her into paint next month (looking for a fiberglass guru in SoCal - this is another sad story /forums/images/smilies/mad25.gif).

When I finally get finished I should have a bunch of OE parts for sale, hood liner, both headlights, complete OE airbox, engine cover, OE charge tubes, and a few others.

#14 ·
Unfortunately, it was an uninsured motorist nightmare. We were dealing with 3 different insurance companies, and the nightmare continues. It was hauled off on a day I was at my 12 hour shift as an ER nurse. My husband knew how much it would hurt my heart to see it go. I hope it will be available to others for parts to repair. The big hesitation by 2 of the 3 insurance companies was if the repair began and the frame was bent, they were out even more. Sad Sad day!

#15 · (Edited)
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I really miss my beautiful Sky, but the Fiat is a great car. After my 9th car accident, with 2 of them being very serious... the safety features on the Fiat have my husband at ease. Thank you again for the kind words!! Eventually I may have to find another one. Not ready yet!

#17 · (Edited)
Day late...

Yes, a day late and communications short. Seems if anything is local the "news", so to speak, is ancient and history. (3 days?)

I have yet to see the now several years old new Fiat Spider on the road. You are fortunate...enjoy! It will get out its own way and that of the local yahoo high water pickup crowd.

Richard Snipes

#18 ·
I haven't driven the new Miata or Fiat, but one of the residents in my building has the ND and I think it looks pretty good. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, but I really prefer the Mazda design.

I am surprised that they haven't offered the 1.75L engine that they use in the Giulietta or the 4C in that car.

#19 ·
I really don't understand how insurance companies can total a car with that little damage. The is likely nothing mechanically wrong with it. I found this Solstice on iaai being sold with a clean title. Sadly, someone will likely fix it, and sell it to an unsuspecting buyer who thinks they're getting a great car. The worst damage to mine was a low hit into the intercooler, but everything else is fine. Drives like a champ. Didn't even need alignment. Yet they totaled it.

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
I really don't understand how insurance companies can total a car with that little damage.
It's pretty cut and dried as to values. Most insurance policies are pretty clear. In my state, if the cost to repair is more than 50% of the value of the automobile immediately before it was damaged, the car is considered totaled, and the insurance company has the option of paying you in full for the value of the car or the agreed value of the car per the terms of the policy.

It is negotiable between the insurance company and the car owner, to some extent.

As an example, I had a car that the insurance company wanted to total, even though the damage wasn't enough to disable the car. The insurance company paid me the the value of the car and flagged the title so that the car was no longer eligible for collision insurance. I continued to drive the car for another 3-5 years and the insurance company covered me for liability only.

:dunno:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.