Saturn Sky Forum banner

LNF to LE5 compatibilty?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Robotech 
#1 ·
So to make this easily understandable, I have the opportunity to purchase(very cheaply) the entire turbo setup off of a wrecked Redline.
I have a 2.4 LE5 Base sky that ive been planning on turbo'ing.
I know kits commonly use the KO4 turbo off of the redline in builds for the base, and ive heard the intercooler and pipes are good. but how compatible is everything else?

turbo manifold? hoses? this will even include the K&N CAI off of the LNF setup, could that be used?

How much is going to need altered, be useless to me, or am I going to have to purchase additional?

Is the KO4 and intercooler(assuming that will work) good to start with if I can get it for a good enough price? should I go another direction for a budget startup build?

I want in the turbo game, and this is a great opportunity to get there if this will work.
Let me know friends =)

#2 ·
Im going to answer my own question here with a follow up. Yes this can be done. Found Rob's entire build thread.
If you happen to see this though, I have a few questions for you.

Mainly, how much can you use from the setup already in a Redline and how much cant be used and you still have to buy or fabricate?

#3 ·
IF you are comfortable drilling your block for the LNF oil return line, the only thing you can't use is the intercooler cold side charge pipe (The one that goes from the intercooler to the throttle body). You'll need to buy or make a 2.75" or 3" pipe for that but it's a pretty simple pipe. You can get just charge pipes for this from RPM motorsports.

You'll need bigger injectors though and you'll need a tune. Other than that, everything off the LNF for the turbo will work. As a mater of fact, that's how I did the first version of my turbo kit...it was all take off from an LNF that Sky Pilot donated to me when he found water in the oil.

Now with my return style fuel system I can't use the LNF banjo water feed line end on the head side of the line. Not enough room (by like 2mm...uhg).

#5 ·
No problem. That's why I wrote it. LOL

I know the prices are high but those were all MSRP and most parts can be found for less. If you can get it, the bolts and mounts for the intercooler would be great to get too as, other than drilling a couple holes, these bolt up to the LE5 cars also. Same for the front duct work (under and behind the intercooler) and the support brackets that hold the duct work to the front bumper.

#6 ·
this will even include the K&N CAI off of the LNF setup, could that be used?
Naturally I just saw this part. LOL

You COULD use the LNF intake BUT, the LNF puts the MAF in the intake and has the mount for that. You would need to plug/cover that somehow since YOUR MAF will be in the cold side charge pipe. Hence why that pipe needs to be 2.75" or 3.0" in diameter. 2.75" is stock diameter for the 2.4 intake but harder to find pipe in that size so most go 3.0". DO NOT use 2.5" pipe as it is much more difficult to MAF tune the car afterwards. Plus, the 3.0" gives you some wiggle room for tuning for the larger amount of air you'll be seeing with the turbo.

I built my intake from a few 3" pipes and couplers off eBay and a cone filter from Autozone. Works well and you can really hear the bypass valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.