New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and get to knwo the community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'Bout ready to build.

Hello everyone. Long time reader, I finally joined because I'm about ready to build up my sky. I have many, many questions, but I won't ask anything until I've searched the threads thoroughly.

For those curious, I've owned my '08 redline since 2011. In 2014 I bought WERKSracing LNF WR-3 EFR 6758 turbo kit, Hahn Racecraft intercooler, 3" mandrel bent piping front to back, upgraded clutch, lightweight flywheel, etc.

Life happened and I never got around to installing them, and now it's been 5 years and I can't even remember everything I bought.

I finally decided to have it built up this year, but before I could my engine went and needs replacing. I'm using this unfortunate event as an excuse to throw in a block with forged internals and any other changes I can/should to go with the build.

Long story short, I'm here to do research and gather opinions until this fall when I plan to finally pull the trigger on this build.

I look forward to getting to know you, and your builds, to learn from you and your experiences, and to share with you my long time dream coming to fruition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Garage
Nice to have you hear Oh8Redline!

I am in the process of assembling a built out 2.4 engine for by turbo 2.4 and have been dealing with PAW (WERKSracing). I am using the WR-4 turbo on my build and while my engine was running (key word was) I was taking my time and got some head work done too...+1mm on the valves, harder springs, titanium retainers, port and polish, ARP head studs...about 25% better flow into the head at low lift levels which should help low RPM response and 30%+ better exhaust flow across the lift range for better turbo spooling.

I got just a short block from PAW and it is beautiful (pictures attached, the head is out of a junkyard so not as pretty). I have been very happy with the experience to this point. I also run an LNF Hahn intercooler and have had it for a number of years. It has worked well for me and won't be upgrading it.

I look forward to seeing your build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9430.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	105345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9458.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	371.9 KB
ID:	105347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9593.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	105349   Click image for larger version

Name:	62122438_10157411511854777_224766281528639488_o.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	105351   Click image for larger version

Name:	62306420_10157411508769777_8097682566229786624_o.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	105353  

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Hi Robotech! Thanks for the warm welcome. What you've got going on looks awesome! Grats and keep at it!

I must apologize in advance for any and all annoying questions I ask. I'm not particularly car savvy. Everything I know about cars I learned on this forum, and it's not much so far.. my sister married a mechanic so I get my work done for the price of parts and a case of beer, but most technical talk goes right over my head for the time being.

I will try my best to scavenge the forum for answers before pestering you all. That being said, the important question I need an answer to first is, with the efr 6758, and a built engine, what should I reasonably set my power goal at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
before you install the efr 6758 send it back to pwerks, why? because the internal wastegate flapper fails, pwerks can upgrade turbo to an external wastage for a low price.

you can easily achieve 400 whp on pump gas and up to 450 whp on e85 or methanol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1732 Post(s)
Garage
Ssky is right about talking to Dave Gilbert at PAW about updating that internal wastegate. My WR-4 is their newer design they released about a year ago with an external wastegate (well, I think they offered this as an option before and not its standard on the WR-3 and 4...).

I'll leave others to the expected power levels but I know with the 2.4 were shooting for 450 whp on 91 and 500 whp on E85 so Ssky's estimations sound about right.

As for car knowledge, there is no stupid question. I am still a novice when it comes to most of this stuff and I ask a ton of questions. I am constantly learning new things. I'd just offer to assist whenever your brother-in-law is working on your car so you can gain some experience.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ssky and Robotech! I'll definitely reach out to Dave again! Since it's taken me so long to do this, I mean to do it right!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the form and good luck with your build. Keep us updated.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in