LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Happy Purchase!

Hello All,

My name is Trevor and I purchased a 2008 Saturn Sky Redline about a month ago. I have fallen in love with this car and feel like a kid everytime I do something cheeky. I had a 93 camaro z28 but this car can't be compared to the camaro. I am surprised at how stiff and the power curve of this platform.

This purchase was my first major transaction as I am quite young and my first experience with a Turbo. I purchased a Silver Pearl Sky with 26.9k miles on it and drove a total of 22 hrs to bring it back home. No regrets!

I am joining the forums to possibly meetup and do a Nassam run in the future. Additionally, I am interested in tracking this car so I would love advice and explanations on what can be done with this car. Thank you for reading.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Paint: Silver Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Congrats! Nice ride for a youngen'!
Keep the stability control on for now...haha It saved my butt a couple of times!

EDIT: You will want to try to make plans for the Rapid City NASSAM. I have been to the area several times on the Harley and am looking forward to making it in the Sky.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!

Last edited by stungjoe; 06-22-2019 at 10:22 AM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
In order of importance: Fresh summer tires. Trifecta tune. DDMWorks suspension kit. [Optional: Upgrade head unit for better sound.]

Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrjon32 View Post
In order of importance: Fresh summer tires. Trifecta tune. DDMWorks suspension kit. [Optional: Upgrade head unit for better sound.]

Enjoy.
Fresh tires, anyway. North Carolina is likely to have good driving days that are too cold for summer-only tires. Also I would switch the suspension mod and the tune in importance.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
In terms of upgrades the previous owner replaced the speaker system with a Alpine IVA-W505 headunit, MDX 4.150 and MDX 1.600 amps and a pretty nice subwoofer. I have yet to rip apart the interior but at least back in 2011 or 2012 that was a expensive car audio system.

I believe it already has a tune because when I test drove the car I got around 22 psi. I ran out of road before seeing max potential. I don't see the GMPP MAF/MAP sensors.

The rest of the car was stock with everything in beautiful shape. No major chips in the paint and the underside wasn't mauled by jacks.

Since purchasing the car I have installed the DDM rear brace, venom brace, SOLO HF Cat, Solo Mach Shorty, and switched all the bulbs to LED and changed the fluids.

I can tell the DDM rear brace helped since I don't feel the rear end sliding when I take a turn hard. The car will need tires in like 5k miles. I figure I will try for 18x10 rims when I need tires.
SlyCoopers likes this.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congrats on your purchase! Tire and brakes(even if just replacing with new) upgrade first for sure even if not tracking, just overall safety and stability Trifecta tune even the budget tune works wonders with no other mods and stock intake/ic/exhaust etc and can be turned on and off for emissions testing purposes if you live in a mod-unfriendly state like mine.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline - Silver
2016 Mazda CX-3 GT- Crystal White Pearl Mica
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
welcome to the show !!!
have fun.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hello Skyline08, and congrats on you 08 Sky I own an 07 bought new and still love this little car. The Sky is a eye catcher so be prepared for the on lookers.
You did the right thing by joining, there is much to learn here so stayed tuned.

"The Sky's The Limit"

(Ghost-Sky)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pictures!

Here is a link to a gallery after I finished purchasing it:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/r2Vo3A5J6fyypeWG8

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome and great purchase.

I would recommend installing the DDM backbone brace too if you have only done the rear brace and venom front brace. The three together really stiffen up the chassis. For tracking it, a set of adjustable coil overs is highly recommended and there are a number of nice ones out there. If you want to do more than Autocross though, you're going to need a track approved Roll Bar. Here is a link to one but it may or may not be allowed by your track. Good news is I believe they buy it back if it doesn't get approved.

Pontiac Solstice | RPM Rollbar

In addition to that stuff, I'd HIGHLY recommend at least changing your brake pads to something other than OEM pads if it hasn't been done yet. If you want to track it, I'd suggest upgrading your brake lines and front brakes to something that handles heat better than the OEM units. I went overkill and did TCE's Wilwood kits front and rear. I'm a bit nuts that way though. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Welcome and great purchase.

I would recommend installing the DDM backbone brace too if you have only done the rear brace and venom front brace. The three together really stiffen up the chassis. For tracking it, a set of adjustable coil overs is highly recommended and there are a number of nice ones out there. If you want to do more than Autocross though, you're going to need a track approved Roll Bar. Here is a link to one but it may or may not be allowed by your track. Good news is I believe they buy it back if it doesn't get approved.

Pontiac Solstice | RPM Rollbar

In addition to that stuff, I'd HIGHLY recommend at least changing your brake pads to something other than OEM pads if it hasn't been done yet. If you want to track it, I'd suggest upgrading your brake lines and front brakes to something that handles heat better than the OEM units. I went overkill and did TCE's Wilwood kits front and rear. I'm a bit nuts that way though. LOL
Are the adjustable coilovers that significant of an upgrade over the stock ones? My thought process is to throw as much tire under the fenders as I can possibly do. I thought the aftermarket versions were more so for lowering the Sky.

I have been looking into the local SCCA course rules and they don't state cages are necessary. To get my Novice Permit I will have to go to Virginia and from I understand the rules are up to the instructor.

Will the RPM bar make you lose a lot of space behind the seats? I am 6feet tall and I slam the seat as far back for longer rides. My head is above the head rest as well. Would you say the bar is 3 or 6 inches above the seat?

I have looked at your older posts and plan on getting Hawks HPS pads.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!

WindRestrictor®
Use code "Forum Member" save 10%.
Windrestrictor®
Click Here For Info
972-487-5987
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLine08 View Post
Are the adjustable coilovers that significant of an upgrade over the stock ones? My thought process is to throw as much tire under the fenders as I can possibly do. I thought the aftermarket versions were more so for lowering the Sky.
The aftermarket coil overs allow you to change out springs for different rates and adjust rebound and compression...separately if you wish. I have found the adjustability (though mine are a single adjustment for rebound/compression instead of one adjustment for each individually) to be beneficial in dialing in the balance front to rear just so. If you are around stock weight, 275 is the perfect width for these cars. The SCCA teams back in the late 2000s ran that size and most who race these cars will tell you that's the perfect width for them. I'm still waiting on getting a set of 18" wheels wide enough to fit 275s on them. PAW has a selection of race wheels wide enough for that width and designed with an offset and bolt pattern to fit them on our cars without clearance issues.

Quote:
I have been looking into the local SCCA course rules and they don't state cages are necessary. To get my Novice Permit I will have to go to Virginia and from I understand the rules are up to the instructor.
You have to look at the rules concerning convertibles. Most state that unless the convertible has built in roll protection behind the driver's head from the factory, a roll bar must be added. Most track rules are this way too.

That said, some tracks will ignore that requirement and let us run our cars without one. It can be hit or miss though. Sounds like your local track may be like this. None of mine (California Speedway and Willow Springs) are.

Quote:
Will the RPM bar make you lose a lot of space behind the seats? I am 6feet tall and I slam the seat as far back for longer rides. My head is above the head rest as well. Would you say the bar is 3 or 6 inches above the seat?
I am 6'1" but have never sat in a car with the RPM bar. From all the bars I've seen though, it is the only one that will let you put your OEM seat all the way back without interfering with it. As for head room, put on your helmet and get in the car with the top up and see where you fit. The RPM bar is designed to allow you to have it on with the top up IIRC.

Quote:
I have looked at your older posts and plan on getting Hawks HPS pads.
They're good pads and it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out to braided lines and brake fluid designed for high operating temperatures. I mean, it's probably time to swap out the fluid anyway and you can have braided lines made for under $50 per line.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
The aftermarket coil overs allow you to change out springs for different rates and adjust rebound and compression...separately if you wish. I have found the adjustability (though mine are a single adjustment for rebound/compression instead of one adjustment for each individually) to be beneficial in dialing in the balance front to rear just so. If you are around stock weight, 275 is the perfect width for these cars. The SCCA teams back in the late 2000s ran that size and most who race these cars will tell you that's the perfect width for them. I'm still waiting on getting a set of 18" wheels wide enough to fit 275s on them. PAW has a selection of race wheels wide enough for that width and designed with an offset and bolt pattern to fit them on our cars without clearance issues.
I will keep that brand in mind. I am torn on what I want to do. I like the lookes of polished/chrome rims but that is not practical for tracking. I don't want to be cleaning the rims every weekend. Lol.

Quote:
They're good pads and it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap out to braided lines and brake fluid designed for high operating temperatures. I mean, it's probably time to swap out the fluid anyway and you can have braided lines made for under $50 per line.
I was happy to pickup the Opel GT brake resevoir and SS braided lines. I was going to install everything at the same time including the pads.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLine08 View Post
I will keep that brand in mind. I am torn on what I want to do. I like the lookes of polished/chrome rims but that is not practical for tracking. I don't want to be cleaning the rims every weekend. Lol.
I have BC racing coil overs and love them. They just came out (about six months to a year ago) with a set for our cars where you can adjust rebound and compression separately. I'd get them with the updated springs if I got them today. Those springs weren't available when I got my set originally.

For your wheels, you will want to get a race specific wheel and tire set anyway. You don't want to be riding around daily on your race tires. I have a set of street tires and a set of race day tires...both on separate wheels. I will be changing out my race wheels from the ones I have now with the 245/45R18s on them so I can run 275/40/R18s for my race tires. I've attached a couple pictures of my car, one with my daily wheels/tires and one (though an older picture) of it with the race wheels/tires.

Quote:
I was happy to pickup the Opel GT brake resevoir and SS braided lines. I was going to install everything at the same time including the pads.
I didn't get the oversized brake reservoir. I might have if I hadn't just changed out my brakes to the Wilwoods before we found the res.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brakesWilwoods001.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	105427   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	105429  

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in