3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have BC racing coil overs and love them. They just came out (about six months to a year ago) with a set for our cars where you can adjust rebound and compression separately. I'd get them with the updated springs if I got them today. Those springs weren't available when I got my set originally.

For your wheels, you will want to get a race specific wheel and tire set anyway. You don't want to be riding around daily on your race tires. I have a set of street tires and a set of race day tires...both on separate wheels. I will be changing out my race wheels from the ones I have now with the 245/45R18s on them so I can run 275/40/R18s for my race tires. I've attached a couple pictures of my car, one with my daily wheels/tires and one (though an older picture) of it with the race wheels/tires.
I understand that the rims should be seperate because of the tires. I have a budget for this year mods and I am not sure I want to get a second set of rims and race tires quite yet. Since this car is kind of a daily driver at 500 miles a month I am leaning towards street tires and rims first then take the stock 18's and throw some cheapish tires on them to track with.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Paint: Silver Pearl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLine08 View Post
I will keep that brand in mind. I am torn on what I want to do. I like the lookes of polished/chrome rims but that is not practical for tracking. I don't want to be cleaning the rims every weekend. Lol........
Chrome wheels are actually the easiest to keep clean.
mstrjon32 likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1730 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I understand that the rims should be seperate because of the tires. I have a budget for this year mods and I am not sure I want to get a second set of rims and race tires quite yet. Since this car is kind of a daily driver at 500 miles a month I am leaning towards street tires and rims first then take the stock 18's and throw some cheapish tires on them to track with.
Makes sense but keep in mind that the optimal width for race tires for our car's size is 275...and those won't fit on stock wheels. 245/45/R18s are the stock size and I know there are some good autocross tires in that size but the good autocross 200 treadwear rated tires are not necessarily good for track use.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Quote:
I will keep that brand in mind. I am torn on what I want to do. I like the lookes of polished/chrome rims but that is not practical for tracking. I don't want to be cleaning the rims every weekend. Lol........
Chrome wheels are actually the easiest to keep clean.
I am surprised to hear that. Whenever I read about chrome rims care part of the guidelines is not allow any buildup of brake dust. Once the chrome layer gets pierced apparently it is like rust and just flakes off the whole layer in areas that are not visible to the eye.

This would be my first experience owning chrome rims. Are very good polish rims close enough to chrome appearance?

2008 Saturn Sky Redline

Last edited by SkyLine08; 06-26-2019 at 04:34 PM.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I am surprised to hear that. Whenever I read about chrome rims care part of the guidelines is not allow any buildup of brake dust. Once the chrome layer gets pierced apparently it is like rust and just flakes off the whole layer in areas that are not visible to the eye.

This would be my first experience owning chrome rims. Are very good polish rims close enough to chrome appearance?
Letting it sit is never good for any wheel regardless of finish but the chrome wheels will hold up to it well and will be easier to get clean. Chrome is going to be far easier to maintain than any polished wheel as well.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Last edited by Robotech; 06-26-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:51 PM

I will agree that chrome plated wheels, if neglected, will look far worse once the neglect takes hold. My experience has been that the chrome is easier to clean, and a quick wipe-down will clean them better than any other finish. In other words, you can expend a small amount of effort regularly to avoid filthy wheels and a lot of effort later. When we were racing, cleaning the brake dust off of the wheels was a post event activity every time, since no one wanted to pick up a dirty wheel.

I'm not sure what you mean by "close enough". Polished aluminum does not look like chrome, and does not clean as easily.

Note to self: Type faster to beat Robo to the forum.

John
Lexington, KY
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rims!

Fair enough. I believe my stock rims are chrome then. They clean up very easy even without waxing them.

Has anybody owned American Racing rims? They can make custom rims apparently. The Torq line looks quite nice.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Fair enough. I believe my stock rims are chrome then. They clean up very easy even without waxing them.

Has anybody owned American Racing rims? They can make custom rims apparently. The Torq line looks quite nice.
I had them on my Grand Prix and I know @skersfan has the exact same ones on one of the Bluestone twins he has. I liked them and they held up well but weren't chrome.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I had them on my Grand Prix and I know @skersfan has the exact same ones on one of the Bluestone twins he has. I liked them and they held up well but weren't chrome.
Did you have any issues with the rims? Did you like them or not? I am leaning towards them in terms of my first pair of 18◊10 rims

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I had no issues with them and liked them. But they were subtle and the whole car's exterior was about subtle. You can see them in this attached picture. The car in the picture ran 12 flat the way you see it with drag slicks up font.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hotelcalifornia2big.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	105449  

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I had no issues with them and liked them. But they were subtle and the whole car's exterior was about subtle. You can see them in this attached picture. The car in the picture ran 12 flat the way you see it with drag slicks up font.
Looks clean. I can respect the subtle appearance. I have always thought sleepers were a fun concept. Now that I drive around the Sky I have noticed a lot of people trying to "race." Some people don't want me to pass them and speed up like 10-20 mph or rev their engines at a stoplight. I never experience that in my truck.

I am sure your design was more so for drag racing and preventing the other driver from guessing your time.

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
.......... with drag slicks up font.
That is just so wrong in my head.

John
Lexington, KY
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
It has always been my understanding that chrome wheels have to be steel and thus heavier than most polished/brushed aluminium. Don't know if that's been mentioned or is of consequence to your application.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stungjoe View Post
It has always been my understanding that chrome wheels have to be steel and thus heavier than most polished/brushed aluminium. Don't know if that's been mentioned or is of consequence to your application.
"Have to be" by some regulation? Obviously aluminum wheels can be chrome plated, and they are somewhat under a pound heavier that the polished or painted ones.

John
Lexington, KY
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
"Have to be" by some regulation? Obviously aluminum wheels can be chrome plated, and they are somewhat under a pound heavier that the polished or painted ones.
maybe I should have said "are for the most part"

EDIT: I have also heard of some of our chrome wheels developing some sort of rust or flaking that causes them to leak air. I have a slow leak on one of my wheels that I can't pinpoint where it's leaking. Replaced valve core and had the TPMS o'ring(s) replaced last tire change.

Joe

FLASHED

2008 Red Line Carbon Flash SE Naked!

Last edited by stungjoe; 06-27-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in