User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hey Everyone

Just bought a "new for me" 07 N/A today. Always loved this car but could never use it as a daily. I finally have a garage and a beater 02 civic I use as my daily, so the stars aligned and I found my black Sky today. I named him "Duke" lol.
mstrjon32 and ddx77 like this.

07 Saturn Sky 2.4L
08 Kia Amanti 3.8L
02 Honda Civic 1.7L
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats! Post pics
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:24 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Garage
John Wayne reincarnated...perhaps.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the form and congrats on your new car you will enjoy it.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Welcome "The _ Duke", you will grow to love this little car. It is a fun car to drive and the turning of heads never gets old.

"The Sky's The Limit"

(Ghost-Sky)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Garage
welcome to the forum.
loooking forward to some pics. !!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
Ahhh.. another new owner to our group. Welcome and enjoy the permagrin. Miles and Smiles...it's what we do here.

In your area... there might be a few owners? Meet and Greet, cars and coffee? Great discussions about the model, quick inspection of anything, some suggestions that might help you, maybe even a club run event in your future? The Nationals Event is in NY this year... another good place for Kappa owners
to see one another and their rides?

Running around town, turning heads is great fun for an afternoon. However.. the real run fun is finding "that" road.. something new out of your comfort zone. I have been doing this around here, Back Roads of Washington Co. a series of roads by me. These are on my You-tube site. But the all day run.. or the over night trip is special. Couple of those on the U-Tube site as well. The attention factor goes up for you from here on out. Watch out for the masses...bumper huggers, riding in your blind spot, ricers.. police... other tools and fools.. you know the type. It sits low.. like where other drivers can't see you.. (use you parking lights at all times)
in their side mirrors , or in a parking lot when backing out( with back up camera help ) the living room sized SUV...you sit "below" their line of sight here>Important. The front nose... the scrap.. the sound of that... expensive. WP or other $$$ fun... be prepared here, just saying.

The guys err owners here.. want pics. Almost a given if you own a SKY. Plus anything else about the car... past history, what condition it is in from the previous owner, what needs fixing, if anything? Mileage.. any modification done or all bone stock?

Good things.. do come to those that wait. Congrats...

LAC
THE_DUKE likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_DUKE View Post
Just bought a "new for me" 07 N/A today. Always loved this car but could never use it as a daily. I finally have a garage and a beater 02 civic I use as my daily, so the stars aligned and I found my black Sky today. I named him "Duke" lol.
Congrats on the new car. Now the question is, is it a early build 2007 or not? There were some differences between the early build 2007 and later build 2007s. Easiest way to tell if it is an early build is whether or not you have a power door lock switch to lock and unlock the doors on your door panels. If you don't have that switch, it's an early build and there are some other things you will need to know about the car.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Congrats on the new car. Now the question is, is it a early build 2007 or not? There were some differences between the early build 2007 and later build 2007s. Easiest way to tell if it is an early build is whether or not you have a power door lock switch to lock and unlock the doors on your door panels. If you don't have that switch, it's an early build and there are some other things you will need to know about the car.
I do not have the switch...how much am I going to regret this purchase now...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

https://ibb.co/Lg2dCx9

This is the only pic I have so far. I took it the day I got it. Of course it downpoured the next 2 days and has been overcast since so it's sitting patiently in the garage until the sun comes out again.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
I don't see any reason to regret it at all. I have an early '07 with 103k miles and have had virtually zero problems.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
I don't see any reason to regret it at all. I have an early '07 with 103k miles and have had virtually zero problems.
I am a proud owner of an early build 2007 as well. There is nothing to regret. As a matter of fact, your engine has forged rods in it making it a stronger engine than 2008+ model years (all 2007s 2.4 had this).

Some things to note though. In later models the transmission was tied to the differential via a torque beam. Most early build 2007s don't have this and just have a front differential bushing instead. No real difference unless you push the car hard into a corner and punch the accelerator on the way out. Rear end will wiggle a bit but not bad. You'll just notice it.

There are some wiring differences in the door switches in the early 2007 builds. Again, usually nothing major but if you ever have your door switches go out, it's something to be mindful of.

You have no traction control. It wasn't even an option on 2007 NAs. I have turbo charged mine and am at the same power levels as a tuned turbo car and have never missed it.

You have no way to raise or lower your driver's seat. Later models had a power adjustment for that.

Your fuel gauge face is black, just like the other gauges. Later 2.4s had a white gauge face like the Redline to make it easier to see the gauge.

I KNOW there are more but I can't think of them.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.

Last edited by Robotech; 02-04-2019 at 05:36 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
......... In later models the transmission was tied to the differential via a torque beam. Most early build 2007s don't have this and just have a front differential bushing instead. No real difference unless you push the car hard into a corner and punch the accelerator on the way out. Rear end will wiggle a bit but not bad. You'll just notice it.........
I was with you until this, but now I am confused. I had a rear-end wiggle with my 2.4 until I added the pro-beam, and after that it went away. My RL has the transmission to axle beam, but not the pro-beam, and does have the wiggle. The 2.4 does have the drive-line clunk that the RL doesn't.

We have an independent rear suspension, so how does movement of the drive axle affect stability? Do you have a pro-beam?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Welcome!!!!

You will love the car!!!

I have the exact same Black with Tan Interior. Classy Look.

Welcome to the Forum

2008 Redline
Alpine ILX-107 with Rearview Camera
Upgraded RPM Turbo
Cat Delete
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
https://ibb.co/Lg2dCx9

This is the only pic I have so far. I took it the day I got it. Of course it downpoured the next 2 days and has been overcast since so it's sitting patiently in the garage until the sun comes out again.

Nice photo of your car.

Waiting to drive it..."of course it rained for two days"... Mr. Murphy... err Mother Nature won't allow you to go out and play with your nice toy. Some of our owners cars have never seen a rain drop in their life time. Sometimes it happens. When I bought mine.. it was the complete opposite here.. way too hot.

98 degree's, killer humidity, hot enough to melt your ass to the seat. I decided to test the AC system out on the 2 hr. drive home. I waited a full day, while inspecting the car, cleaning, checking fluids, tightening bolts, nuts, screws etc. Then when things had cooled some the humidity died off, I took nice 2 hr. cruise around town. Nothing else like it. It does turn heads.. attracts gazes from the masses. Some females... might notice you? Kids are the best... young ones faces plastered all over the mom's mini-van windows at the stop light. Awe struck in the gas station stop, mouths open, ice cream cones dripping to the ground.

You won't regret it in the least bit. You will have to start your fund for parts (#Gofundme&mykappaparts) though. Parts are getting tougher to find. Some places won't even look at our cars. Check with you local dealers GM to see if they will service your car, should you need to bring it in? Yes this car " can be " expensive to fix. Some owners have spent big bucks on repairs. Other owners... have had no major repairs or the $$$$ problems that goes with this. You have a 2nd car, DD for the fight with the masses. When the roadway clears... after the mad 9-5 dash home.. Sunday morning when they are at church or sleeping off the Saturday night intoxication... your stress level release time... for an hour or two cruise. Pick a spot on the google map. I have never been there before? Hmmmm.. However "this" morning will be different for me...I'm going. Buckle up time....

Is it the $1.83 part I should be worried about, or the $1183.00 water pump replacement? Could be both, which is why the past history is important. What has been done, normal maintenance wise or did something major happen to it in it's past? With higher mileage models... stuff does wear out. IF the car has been properly maintained then things should be ok for now. However.. if the previous owner was slack, did not care about it, was " cheap " about fixing problems then it could get.. expensive to replace certain parts. We all go through this when purchasing a used car. How much time did the dealer/seller put into this car, before placing it on the market? What is or is not in the Car-Fax report.

The Rob the Elder list of the Top 25 things to look out for on this model. Very informative for the first time owner. Still have my list in the truck. Many owners have different problems with their model... some no problems at all. You will get a feel for this here on the forum, but sometimes a face to face meetings of the minds helps out with the worries... I am going to regret buying this model car? Maybe you might.. IF you can stop smiling so much in the process.. Happens to the best of us.

LAC
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...btm1jo2_8111bw
jmende22 likes this.

Last edited by LAC Sky; 02-06-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in