• 1 Post By The_Ghost
  • 1 Post By JohnWR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hey yall

im new here, i wrecked my 03 legacy december 2018 and decided id go into a little debt so i bought an 07 redline in a manual, with a dark ming blue paint job. this has been my dream car since i was 11 and i figured its worth it. its a little on the pricey side for a 19 year old but hey, i do my own work so that makes it bearable. the one ive got is a little rough around the edges but had been a great car for me. its hard to daily it but its what i have and im happy with it. its got about 130k on it and ive done a few mods to it that im happy with. after i sort out the issues im having right now id like to look into meth/water injection. not for huge horsepower gains though, im mainly looking for a setup that will cool down my iat and keep carbon from building up on my intake valves. let me know if yall have any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amunit View Post
im new here, i wrecked my 03 legacy december 2018 and decided id go into a little debt so i bought an 07 redline in a manual, with a dark ming blue paint job. this has been my dream car since i was 11 and i figured its worth it. its a little on the pricey side for a 19 year old but hey, i do my own work so that makes it bearable. the one ive got is a little rough around the edges but had been a great car for me. its hard to daily it but its what i have and im happy with it. its got about 130k on it and ive done a few mods to it that im happy with. after i sort out the issues im having right now id like to look into meth/water injection. not for huge horsepower gains though, im mainly looking for a setup that will cool down my iat and keep carbon from building up on my intake valves. let me know if yall have any suggestions.
I would tell you not to do this on a car with 130k. Just drive this till it blows up, then replace the motor and do all the modding you want. Remember, you're going to need a clutch with that mod, unless yours is brand new because that one won't make it with the added hp. You're going to need a WP if it hasn't been done already...not cheap ($1200) if someone does it for you or easy if you do it... Again with that mileage you'll need a HPFP soon if not already. Save your money right now to keep the car running in the future. I'm sure I'll take flak for this...so let the shots begin.....
marlboromike likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info, youre probably right about the clutch tho. ive done the hpfp and the water pump myself already, among other things, turbos new as well. although do you think it would be worth modding it and figuring things out till i blow it up? then transfer the meth injection, and all those other goodies to a new built engine? ive got a pos f250 thats my backup. my sky is my daily just because the 250 gets a good 8 miles to the gallon versus the 25 i get in my sky with the tune off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
You seem to have a reasonable idea about what could happen, and a way to deal with it if it does, so I see no reason not to go ahead with your plan. A brand new engine can blow up just as easily as a high-mileage one, and the LNFs have a pretty good record for not doing it in the first place.

That said, I think that modding a car that you owe money on is not very smart, but at the end of the day its your choice.
Robotech likes this.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
As long as the engine has good compression, rockers/lobes dont show excessive wear, have at it. I don't see any reason not to mod an older but healthy engine. Would also check timing and balance chains and tensioners at that mileage too.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

ive replaced the timing and balancing chain, along with all the guides, tensioners and a few of the sprockets that showed wear because when i bought it one of the balance chain guides broke and it was vibrating pretty bad. when i had the valve cover off i checked clearances and wear on every part of the valve train i could reach without too much hassle and everything was within spec and nothing was too worn. the only major thing im concerned about right now is when i bought the car i drained the rear diff and it was a very, very flaky gray metalic color. ive got some money set aside for when a good used diff shows up and ill throw that in my spare parts box while i was for the one in there right now to blow. i know its not a good idea to mod a car i owe money on but i couldnt help myself haha. i keep my driving pretty calm most of the time but when ive got this thing paid off im definitely taking it to the track and putting a less conservative tune on it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
You may have difficulty taking it to a track. Most of them require a roll bar of some type, and the Kappa is not easy to fit with a roll bar.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
You may have difficulty taking it to a track. Most of them require a roll bar of some type, and the Kappa is not easy to fit with a roll bar.
I actually just found a roll bar for the sky the other day...ill have to see if I can find where it was. Did require pretty heavy modification, but they do exist =)

Edit: Found them! I thought I had saved them, cause they look really good. I have no field of reference, but they seem very expensive.

http://rpmrollbar.com/pontiac-solstice/

Last edited by Draike13; 09-21-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:16 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draike13 View Post
I actually just found a roll bar for the sky the other day...ill have to see if I can find where it was. Did require pretty heavy modification, but they do exist =)

Edit: Found them! I thought I had saved them, cause they look really good. I have no field of reference, but they seem very expensive.

Pontiac Solstice | RPM Rollbar
Show that to your friendly tech inspector before you spend the money on it, it may not be acceptable to some tech inspectors because it doesn't brace to the rear of the car from the driver's compartment. RPM is quite well respected on the western side of this country, not so much here on the east side of the Mississippi.

Best of luck to you.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
It's hard to see where it braces to at the back so it might be ok.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by copdriver91 View Post
It's hard to see where it braces to at the back so it might be ok.
I found a few pictures and they look like they brace in a few different ways depending on which ones you get.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in