• 1 Post By Robotech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
New -blueskyguy

Got a salvage 08 Sky 2.4 up from US to Halifax to Toronto. She's had a rough life so I'm restoring her and waiting for spring temps to take her out. Hoping to add the Turbo in a year or two. Which one is best RPM? (cheaper), PAW?, DDM? that's the decision I have to make. Welcome advice on that.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome.

As for adding a turbo to a 2008 2.4, the question becomes what is your end goal? If you just want Stock or Tuned Reline like power, the RPM kit will achieve that. If you want more than that, you'll need to go with something like PAW's or Hahn's kits. DDM doesn't offer a turbo kit that I recall but they do have a supercharger kit which is nice too. It has options for different power levels that will be more than enough for your stock bottom end.

Now, if you really want to go nuts with the power, then we're talking building the block and that's a whole different ballgame. LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
BlueSkyGuy Turbo

Thanks Mr.R.
Really appreciate your response in particular (great respect) and I welcome anybody else who wants to chime in on my upgrade.
Here's my story -I'll keep it short.
I'm a retired (5 years) industrial sparky up here in Toronto. I've loved this Sky style since we had an old Saturn L series and I saw the Sky in the showroom back in 06 -07(at ~$35-$40k Cdn !! back then). Can't believe I have my own now. Last summer and fall looking for a bargain Sky, I found it on Kijiji in midnight blue (most are yellow, green and red), made a deal and flew out to Halifax. I drove it back in 17 hours straight with the top down in the cold and snow flurries, CD tunes on and a smile on my face that must have had the other drivers laughing their faces off.
She's a 5 sp manual (of course ), >100k miles (not km) so I'm a little nervous about the 2.4L LE5 internals compared to the LNF (pistons, clutch, higher compression, etc) that might break with the upgrade. My goal is just a near Redline kind of performance on the road -not track. So a basic Turbo increase (and the fun of building it myself of course) are all I want. I can hear some guys saying "well, if you want a Redline car just buy one", but #1 -that's $6-10k Cdn! more than I want to spend and #2 -I want to build it with my own hands, but I may have to go the Redline buy way if the upgrade looks like it's beyond me or will kill my 2.4L.

I see the RPM debate is ongoing and I understand you have had good results but I need a confident install with good support or I am going to be banging my head and losing that Sky smile. The Supercharger from DDM is attractive but more $$$, if that can give me the same results with less headaches- any thoughts?

Thanks -really can't thank you enough -I feel like a Sky member now.
Jim
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Garage
There are always pros and cons to each.

What I like about the RPM "kit" is that a vast majority of the parts are OEM. Your turbo, water/oil lines, and coolant tube are all OEM parts that bolt right on to the 2.4 (except the oil return line...that you have to drill out the recess in the block but they have a way of doing that without having to worry about shavings in the oil pan). Their charge pipes and intake are all in house but those are pretty simple affairs. Their Intercooler is their own design but bolts up like the OEM intercooler. Injectors are high quality industry standard injectors and I like their tuning. (They tuned my car currently.) For the price, it's probably a good option for you. What I have on my car is basically their kit with a couple tweaks because I pulled mine together from a few different sources (and got a whole LNF donated for free to me by Sky Pilot when he got water in the oil).

For your car, because it is an 08, it has the weaker connecting rods. Other than that, it's like any other LE5. I've heard of engines like yours handling up to 325 whp but most in the community feel safer with them staying in the <260 whp range due to those rods. Compression is a big thing too since we're at 10.4:1 and the redlines are at 9.2:1. To go over 320 whp you need to drop that compression or risk problems.

Our clutch can be a problem at over apx 250 whp. (Really it's about 280 wheel torque but that's around 250-280 whp with the LE5 and K04 turbo combo.) At 250 whp, my stock clutch started slipping after a little over a year (Turbo added at 77k miles, clutch went about 100k miles) and I went with the stock flywheel but the Spec Stage 3+ clutch. The combo is nice and once I got it broke in, I forget it's an updated clutch. About $500 for the clutch and another $80 for the flywheel...don't reuse your old one.
justaguy likes this.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!

WindRestrictor®
Use code "Forum Member" save 10%.
Windrestrictor®
Click Here For Info
972-487-5987
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
welcome to the forum.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Welcome Jim, there's a FB Group for folks in the GTA like yourself that you may enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSOOO/

2007 Saturn Sky Redline
2nd and 4th Owner

Engine:
RPi Exhaust, SOLO HF Cat, DDM IC Pipes, RPM IC, GMPP CAI
GMPP & Trifecta Tuned

Suspension:
LVKFB, DDM Probeam, DDM Ext Backbone

Misc:
DDM Short Shifter, Crux Bluetooth, DAI Reflex Wheels
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the Welcome guys. JW -thank you for the FB lead -exciting! I'll check it out.
jim
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW-Redline View Post
Welcome Jim, there's a FB Group for folks in the GTA like yourself that you may enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SSOOO/
Actually the SSOOO FB has members from all of Ontario. For those of you in TO, Ontario is bigger than just TO...

Porsche Karmin Red, Magna-flow Quad tip exhaust, RPM CAI, DDM Backbone, Windristrictor
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojam35 View Post
Actually the SSOOO FB has members from all of Ontario. For those of you in TO, Ontario is bigger than just TO...
Nice one. I'd move in a TO minute to a country house with a triple garage if I could buddy. Never gonna happen tho-wife's a city girl -loves the subway, the crowds, the noise, the Liberals
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Welcome to the SSOOO Group Jim.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. Already having fun over there. Gooood people.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum.

07 Sky
2.4L NA
5 speed
Limited slip differential
Chrome wheels
Premium trim package
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in