Newbie - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
New Member Section Drop in, say Hi and get to knwo the community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hi my name is Phil and I have an 07 sky N/A with 45K that I have owned for 2 1/2 yrs. Due to an unfortunate incident with a delivery truck backing into me at a stoplight, I am told I need to replace the hood. I am looking at the RK sport fiberglass hood with scoop and would like to know if anyone has installed this. How difficult was the installation and what should I be aware of. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks Phil

PURA VIDA!
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusky1145$ View Post
Hi my name is Phil and I have an 07 sky N/A with 45K that I have owned for 2 1/2 yrs. Due to an unfortunate incident with a delivery truck backing into me at a stoplight, I am told I need to replace the hood. I am looking at the RK sport fiberglass hood with scoop and would like to know if anyone has installed this. How difficult was the installation and what should I be aware of. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks Phil
Welcome to the Sky High Club! I have not installed a RK sport hood but have had to deal with a front end collision on a hood before. It was a 93 Camaro which is a unibody just like the Sky. Two things I found to be major hurdles.

First thing was additional damage. A unibody can have a lot of flex and even if the force of impact was on the hood a fender could also be bent. When trying to line up the hood I found gaps because of this. A lot of fineseing got it to work but I imagine a body shop could dry fit, sand, and bondo if the gaps are bad enough.

Second thing was a donor hood was not entirely the same dimensions. It could be because I got a used hood but I vaguely remember I was thinking it would be like swapping rims. If it is aftermarket I assume it will have to be painted and prepped.

A good body shop should be able to blend the paint and limit the gaps. Good luck!

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Paint: Silver Pearl
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Quote:
I am looking at the RK sport fiberglass hood with scoop and would like to know if anyone has installed this. How difficult was the installation and what should I be aware of. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks Phil
I don't have a Sky or an RK hood, but know of people who have had them. The RK hoods are notorious for bad/difficult fitment issues. One lady I know went back several times to try to get it fitted correctly, but it never did look right.

Personally I would look at Norm's hoods - though the time to actually get it might be considerable, unless he happens to have one made already.

https://normsfiberglass.com/sky.html

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Garage
First, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLine08 View Post
It was a 93 Camaro which is a unibody just like the Sky.

First thing was additional damage. A unibody can have a lot of flex and even if the force of impact was on the hood a fender could also be bent. When trying to line up the hood I found gaps because of this. A lot of fineseing got it to work but I imagine a body shop could dry fit, sand, and bondo if the gaps are bad enough.
The Sky and Solstice are not unibody cars. We have two hydroformed frame rails that run the length of the vehicle with a passenger compartment "box" in the middle (see attached picture and link).

https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...xplained-2657/

However, a hit to the hood can damage the hood hinges and these hinges along where they mount to the chassis should be inspected for damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I don't have a Sky or an RK hood, but know of people who have had them. The RK hoods are notorious for bad/difficult fitment issues. One lady I know went back several times to try to get it fitted correctly, but it never did look right.

Personally I would look at Norm's hoods - though the time to actually get it might be considerable, unless he happens to have one made already.

https://normsfiberglass.com/sky.html
TS is spot on with the time issue with Norm's products. Some have waited over a year between when they ordered and when they received their parts from him. The parts are great, but his estimates on when they will be ready are notoriously over-optimistic. It is rare that he delivers them on time. Again, when you get them they look great and fit better than any other product, but it may take a while for you to get them.

The RK hoods have fitment issues but can be made to fit well. I would not own one without also having their headlight eyelids and I'll explain why. When you mount the headlights in the stock hood, the top edge of the headlight where it meets the hood is flush with the hood. With the RK hood, the headlight will sit about 1/8" below the level of the hood. However, if you add the RK headlight eyelid, the eyelid WILL sit flush with the RK hood. For me, I like the eyelids and I wouldn't have an RK hood without them, but that's me.

@skersfan has experience with the RK hood and his looks pretty good. He also has the eyelids IIRC.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The Sky and Solstice are not unibody cars. We have two hydroformed frame rails that run the length of the vehicle with a passenger compartment "box" in the middle (see attached picture and link).
Wellllll, Potayto-Potahto.

It may not be a full traditional unibody, but it's certainly more of a unibody than a body-on-frame car. The fact is that the underlying chassis components - other than the bolt-on hood/fenders/trunk lid - form a single welded and stressed part - which is basically the same as a traditional unibody car. It's just that the unibody part is a bit more 'open-air'

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Agreed, but the areas we are talking about here are not similar to a unibody such as SkyLine mentioned (a 93 Camaro) and would not cause the same issues as was described by Skyline. In a traditional unibody, the structure that supports the fender is also an integral part of the structure that supports the suspension. In our cars, that's not the case. We are a hybrid of body on frame and unibody but are not truly either...in the front though, we pretty much are body on frame since you can remove our hood, fenders, and bumper and not sacrifice one bit of frame rigidity. A unibody you cannot which is why damage to a hood could result to an issue with the fender.

Also, considering about half of what would be called a fender on most cars is part of our hood the chances of this being an issue is even less.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank all of you for the feedback. I decided earlier today to roll the dice and ordered the hood. I don't want to wait a long time for a hood from Norms plus after looking at the designs he had on his website I liked the look of the RK hood more. I called and talked to a gentleman in NJ about the fitment and he assured me that there would probably be a good fit with some adjustments. I will post my trials and tribulations with the installation. Hopefully it will go on OK with no major problems. I really liked the look of the RK hood with the monotone coloring as in their picture. Thanks for the insight. Phil

PURA VIDA!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Note to Robotech I noticed on your picture of your Max that the headlights have a dark tint to them. How did you do that? Phil

PURA VIDA!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Note to Robotech I noticed on your picture of your Max that the headlights have a dark tint to them. How did you do that? Phil
It actually isn't a tint to them at all. The insides of the lights are painted to match the body color of the car (they're not black like Redline lights) and then the eyelids reduce the incoming light to the insides of the lights which makes them look tinted.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 PM

I think its only 4bolts

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in