User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
I need my windshield replaced. Currently no problems with seal but is this an issue when replacing windshield?
No. The WS is held in with urethane, and is on the opposite side of the frame from that seal.
What is a concern is the cowl at the base of the WS that surrounds the wiper shafts. If it is removed improperly the retaining clips will break and you will get a buzz/rattle from the cowl not fitting tightly against the glass.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC Sky View Post
Congrats on your new toy purchase. Yes our community here will help with any question a new to the Kappa owner might have here.
Many subjects, many problems our owners have had with our gem, answers and solutions can be found in the forum and can be searched for here.

The WP and it's replacement. Good thing too for you that the dealer stepped in here.
Expensive to replace. Now that is out of the way at the current mileage should ease some of your concerns going forward.

The 4 inch crack on the quarter panel, can be repaired by any good body shop. Check both panels for repair here.
You just know the second you have the first one done,... the other one will break 2 weeks later.
Murphy's Law.. never fails, even if our body panels do.

Missing vent and sill plates, minor in the BIG picture of things.

However the windshield surround gasket #______ & $$$.... might be a concern going forward here?
That part can be a tough find, IF any are still available?
Lucky for you there are no leaks for now, but keep an eye on it. Water proof all gaskets, seals, weather strips
with die-electric grease. I just finished doing mine... before the summer thunder storms get under way.
Wet carpet, water intrusion into the interior is not a good thing on a Vert, just sayin.

The driver's seat height adjustment switch or lack there of. It might have been an option delete by the original owner,
the seats could have been replaced at some point before you bought it?
The electrics & mechanism for this switch could still be there under the current seat?
IF so.. a good shop might be able to add this switch to your current seat,
if so desired later depending if the electrics/mechanics are still there and on their price for installation?

The question remains is why the seats were replaced in the interior in the first place? Flood damage not reported?

LAC
Thank you for the helpful advice. In retrospect, it's probably a good thing the WP went out so quickly, else the dealer might not have been any help. There's a very good local body shop that I trust to deal with the fender(s). It looks like replacement windshield weather strip is still available at a bit north of $350. It's been out in very heavy rain with no leaks, so I'll just keep a close eye on it. Is there anything that can be used to patch this hole before I go about lubricating all of the weatherstripping?

I checked under the driver seat again, with a light and mirror, as best I could without unbolting it. No sign of any height adjustment mechanism. (As a surprise, though, I did find an old 2005 vintage Apple iPod under the passenger seat. I'm charging it up to see if it still has tunes on it.)

I vaguely remember something somewhere in this forum about the power height adjuster not being there in early build 2007 models. Build date on mine is 8/15/2006, so that might be the answer to the seat mystery.

As to any flooding, the CarFax is clear, it never lived in a flood zone, there's no moldy smell anywhere, no crud or rust under the carpet or in any of the nooks and crannies, carpet looks appropriate (not new) for its age, no electrical problems. I suppose it's always possible, though, that it got caught in a heavy rain with the top down. But I'm not going to worry about it unless I run into some signs of trouble.

I got the iPod running. Lots of tunes. It's clock is set for Honolulu time, which is where the car was until August 2008. So I don't think the seats were replaced any time after that or else the iPod would have been found and removed.

Last edited by Dexter; 05-28-2019 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Additional information.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
......... It looks like replacement windshield weather strip is still available at a bit north of $350. It's been out in very heavy rain with no leaks, so I'll just keep a close eye on it. Is there anything that can be used to patch this hole before I go about lubricating all of the weatherstripping?........
My '07 has had that same hole for several years, and it doesn't seem to affect anything. I think there is something on the front rail of the top that has cut it because I close the roof on the '08 in exactly the same way and there is no damage. My dealer actually replaced the first weatherstrip for the same hole after I had the car for about two years.

I use black liquid rubber to skin over the hole, just to try to keep it from growing and to improve the appearance a bit, but it is a temporary "repair" and I don't think it accomplishes much beyond appearance as the tear hasn't gotten any bigger in eight years or so.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Saturn Sky Discussion > New Member Section

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in