Saturn Sky Forum banner

2008 Saturn Astra

5K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  ChgoBlues 
#1 ·
Well after going to the Saturn Day at the Zoo here in columbus ohio, my wife was able to get comfy in the new 2008 astra.
After all of her choices G6, Mailibu, Aura, and Impala She likes the Astra the best

It was a very nice car and it sat lower than most of the other cars that we have looked at. As soon as I am able to we are going to order one. The 3 door was nice but she liked the 4 door the best. After all the 3 door isn't car seat friendly. here are some pics

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not bad at all...is it just me or is the moon-roof really big?

#4 ·
the moonroof covers the front and back like the mini coopers do. it is a power retractable dual moonroof. The interior of this car was wonderful the gauge cluster is set up like the sky except it isn't recessed in the dash. they are also going to allow me to use the GM employee discount.:yay:

the only problem that I have been told is the first astras that come to the US are all white. It won't be till mid year that you can get color options. I am waiting to confirm this but the misses said that white isn't a problem.

#3 ·
Astra

cool car. reminds me a bit of a Mazda 3.

red line version coming down the pike?

I like the two door version but I can see where it would not be 'kid friendly'. would be tuff getting the car seat (and the kid) in and out of it.

when we they be available?

#5 ·
The sad thing about the Saturn Astra is that it's not going to be the same as the Opel Astra. The Opel Astra (as I understand it) has a bit more power and a better suspension.

#6 ·
Same suspension... and one of the engines offered in the OPEL is in the Saturn. While there are many varieties for the OPEL... they decided on one engine for now in the Saturn. They sell hundreds of thousands of OPEL Astras... and only plan on about 30 - 40K the first year for Saturn.

#9 ·
Unfortunately, as far as I've been able to find out, the OPC or VXR versions will NOT be coming over in this model of the astra. So for now there won't be a redline version, which I personally think it stupid because they have the resources and NOW is the time for hot powerful hatches. From everything I've been able to read, the RL version will come out when the entire Astra model is revamped around the 2010 model year. The astra is supposed to undergo a remodeling soon because this "generation" has been out long enough. From what I've read as well, when the next generation Astra is finished production will also start in the US on astras, whereas right now they are all being imported from Europe.

#10 ·
Yeah, that sounds about right from what I have been hearing. It is so frustrating but not suprising with GM's track record on the tuner market as of yet. There is already an aftermarket for this car in Europe and bringing over the turbo model here would be great, as you said now is the time to do so.

They never learn.

#11 ·
I don't think its so much as them 'not learning' as it is finding out how good the response to the car in general will be. Yes, the Astra is very popular in Europe but what sells great there may not sell the same way here. What's the point of bringing over a hot rod for an even smaller niche market if the bread and butter versions don't move to the greater market? Yea, would be cool to have a Red Line version here but let the car get established a bit first before you expand the offerings. The next version is only 2 model years away and I'd rather have a quality build on a car then rushing something to market just be in the market. There is a tuner market but Saturn isn't anywhere near the top of the want list like Toyo, Honda, Mitsu and Mazda are.

Personally, I really liked the car when I saw it at the 07 Chicago Auto Show and decided it will be the next car when the Sky is paid off. After all, with an Ion Red Line and a Sky Red Line, I still need a daily driver.

#13 ·
In away I am surprised your wife preferred the Astra over the Aura, especially with small children involved. Al tho the Astra is nice, it has no trunk? Plus the rear doors open farther out than a standard 4-door, which would be great with babies and car seats. I would think she would want a bigger vehicle and some storage room in the back in the trunk. I did drive a Malibu for 2 weeks in California, not a bad little car. Had more power than I expected. But, hey, get mama what she wants--Finally I know the costs with the Aura, (they also have their "green" version), what do astra go for? Never have looked them up--

#14 ·
one of the main reasons she went with the astra is she is only 4' 11" yea she is short. the aura's dsh sat to high for her stature and she feels like she s driving a boat. It was too big for her. I honestly would go for the new malibu but this is her car. the astra that she likes actually has a decent trunk. She does cakes and decorating on the side so the height of the trunk is amazing. ga mileage is the best amongst all of them. the astra startes at 15,500 and the most expensive XR around 21000 I liked the interior as well compared to others that I have seen

#16 ·
Reminds of the Vibe...which I think is very cool looking.

#23 ·
The first production run of the astra in the US are all white but after march they wil offer much of the same colors as they do in europe. this is all ciming from my dealer though it may change

#26 ·
Yes thought the OPC was a great basis for the Aura and wish they hadn't toned it down as much as they did from the original concept.

#28 ·
Yes I noticed the similarities also with the older mustangs Either are great cars. One of the main deciding factors will also be price. I can get the malibu for cheaper than the aura since the malibu are used for company vehicles more than the aura's. But overall she likes the astra the best and since it is her car I will side with that afterall I got my sky and I didn't even bother telling anyone about it I just went and bought it and drove it home as a surprise:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.