2016 Fiat 124 Spider...a Turbo Miata "New" Sky? - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Roadster/Small RWD Market/Other Vehicle General Discussion Discussion about owning, loving, lusting, or coveting roadsters and other small RWD'rs and "other" general vehicle discussion. Competitive vehicles, other "cool drives" and other discussion related to the ownership experience.

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Well, LAC, I do find it to be a pretty car. I also like the Mazda version, though not as much as this.

As for Mazda itself (at least in recent years), I have nothing but good words. My wife has a Mazda CX-5 that just turned 3 years and not a squeak, rattle or problem since. Plus it's really nice to drive, nippy and good-handling.

My only problem with the Fiat is that engine. It's an FCA derivative (Fiat/Chrysler) and that is at the opposite end of the spectrum to Mazda reliability.

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1707 Post(s)
Garage
Chassis is Mazda, styling and engine are Fiat. This is the same engine in the Abarth is my understanding and I have no idea how reliable that is but considering my past record with Chrysler products, i'd be leary. Since the Trans is Mazda though, wonder it you could do a Miata engine swap then turbo that?
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
The Abarth engine has been very reliable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
I thought I had heard that but wasn't sure. I'd still be a bit head shy since I have had a bad experience with the company but I would consider one, for sure. Maybe not first year model like my Sky (and Grand Prix) but maybe second or third year, yea.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
I just met the following on the road
https://www.alfaromeousa.com/cars/alfa-romeo-4c-spider

It turned in front of me while I was at a red light and my wife was like, go get it!
Initially we thought it was a Ferrari due to how the rear looks. It sounded amazing and was pretty nimble, but the poor guy found out that you just don't want to try and race Lusi when I am in 3rd gear and 3500rpms.
LOLOLOLOL

Still,
If I had to replace the Kappa, I just found the car that would do it. Way more expensive, but man, I bet you feel like James Bond when you drive the AlphaRomeo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlphaRomeo4C.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	81218  

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
LOL...those cars have great lines. Funny story, I have a 4C body on my Girl Friend's RC Car. It has lines very similar to the Sky. Yea, if I could afford the Alfa I would have one of those too.

See why I say I need a 1,400 sq/ft house with a 400,000 sq/ft garage? Gotta go play the lottery.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 08:11 PM

Garage
I am with you. We have a really large driveway. The top is a half basketball court. Wife keeps bugging me to turn that into an external garage and if I did that, I would make sure it had a scissor lift.

Until then I am looking to get the following
https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-s...-car-lift.html

Hey, quick question
What is the email address that forum updates come from?
I am not getting updates to subscribed threads and If I knew the email, I could make sure it's not being snagged by spam

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Good question. Quote this post and i'll tell you what the address is when I get the notification. Lol
post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Good question. Quote this post and i'll tell you what the address is when I get the notification. Lol

Here ya go.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:53 AM

Garage
Thanks

Let me see what I can do. All of a sudden I stopped receiving emails from this site and kappa performance.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
So I stopped by a local Dodge/Fiat dealership today and drove one of these. Non-Abarth version, auto trans with manual selection feature...no paddles.

So some funny things, They have three locations for cup holders...and all three are exactly in the same place ours are. Only difference, you can only use two locations at a time because the cup holders pop out of these locations and can be used in any of them. There is no glove box like we have, but they do have the center cubby like we have and then there is a small cell phone sized cubby in the center arm rest. Gauge cluster looks great. Turbo is SUPER small but it is a 1.4 liter engine. Power was pretty good and far snappier than our 2.4 NAs...holds nothing on a Redline/GXP though. Would be nice having a real trunk even if it is pretty small...it's still much larger than ours and no loss of trunk space with the top down but, of course, the top is exposed and visible when down, ehhhh...but the top comes down and up very easy even from inside the car. Also, when you release the top the side windows roll down a notch...nice touch.

Handling is pretty good...all Miata after all. The center mount infotainment system is nice too. Overall, if I was going to be looking for a new roadster, the 124 would definitely be on my list. Will be interesting to see how well it holds up with the Italian engine. Styling though is REALLY nice. They look really good...a bit Sky...a bit S2000...a bit Miata. I think though the Abarth version is going to be even sharper looking. Not knocking our Skys and wouldn't trade mine for this but, if you want something newer than our cars but like our cars...yea, it's a contender.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 03:37 AM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Garage
I owned a 65 Fiat Abarth. Was a fun little car. I was young jarhead and needed two cars. Wife drove the Vette to work, so I bought this rolled over Abarth, light blue, passenger door tied shut with a military belt. Damned thing ran like hell. It was numbered and had a plaque on the dash, that stated it was a replica of the land speed record holder. It really was fast. And the new ones look remarkably like the original Abarths.

If I was going to replace my Skpel, only a new Vette would be considered. Maybe the NSX Honda. I don't think I would want something that was a little better than what I had and was 10 years newer. Came very close to buying a new yellow and black Vette about 4 months ago. Then went and drove the Skpel and said for the 90K above I would keep it. Test drove it, nicer, quieter, I am sure better, but does not get the looks the Sky gets.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Turbo is SUPER small but it is a 1.4 liter engine. Power was pretty good and far snappier than our 2.4 NAs...holds nothing on a Redline/GXP though.
In Europe Alfa does a 1.75L turbo that is good for 240PS and ~250ft/lb torque. I'd like to see them put this engine in the 124...maybe a special edition.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
My son just bought one, the Abarth version. He works for Chrysler, and he said the price was right. And, he had a big check burning a hole in his pocket, as Volkswagen finally settled up on the diesel station wagon he had. I won't see it 'til this summer, as he's in Detroit and we're in Milwaukee.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Roadster/Small RWD Market/Other Vehicle General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in