GTO Solstice - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Roadster/Small RWD Market/Other Vehicle General Discussion Discussion about owning, loving, lusting, or coveting roadsters and other small RWD'rs and "other" general vehicle discussion. Competitive vehicles, other "cool drives" and other discussion related to the ownership experience.

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Garage
Well it appears they have done it again. Still no mid engine in 2019 and would doubt they would offer one for at least another 5 years after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Well it appears they have done it again. Still no mid engine in 2019 and would doubt they would offer one for at least another 5 years after that.
I really think Bowling Green will produce a mid-engine 'Vette sometime in the spring of 2019 as a 2020 model with a list price of $150k+. I do not expect them to discontinue the C7 until they see what the market will bear.
Time will tell
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 03:21 AM

Garage
Like I said, I have heard this story since 1971. They were discounting the 2016 by 25-30 K when I was looking at them. 2019 will be the same car with more horsepower. MEH. I seriously thought about it, but read about the mules and thought I can wait for the mid engine. I no longer believe I will see it in my lifetime. The wife wants the new Lexus coupe, may just go look at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
Like I said, I have heard this story since 1971. They were discounting the 2016 by 25-30 K when I was looking at them. 2019 will be the same car with more horsepower. MEH. I seriously thought about it, but read about the mules and thought I can wait for the mid engine. I no longer believe I will see it in my lifetime. The wife wants the new Lexus coupe, may just go look at it.
They way how you describe the wife's driving technique , I would check with your insurance company first, ... before she takes a test drive in the New Lexus there partner.

The new Vette for 2019. I did read that the other day. Looks good, with plenty of power. I think that was what I saw a couple of months ago on Motor Week, the new Calloway version 755 they tested at Summit Point Motorsports Park. More of everything.

The mid engine Vette will happen one day. Some may like it, true blue owners will hate it. Front engine V8 rear wheel drive, to mid mounted V8 with or with out twin Turbo's? 150K up and up it goes. Getting into the Euro range now. The Vette was an alternative to the higher priced models from Europe to compete with them, at a better price. Bang for the buck. As for me, KISS an old 68 C3 with a 327 and I'd be good with that.

The GTO special. Looks good and odd, but that is just me. Yes great time and effort went into this. Sharp lines of the old one with the round rear of the current one. Sounds like a woman I once knew.

LAC
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET1 View Post
I really think Bowling Green will produce a mid-engine 'Vette sometime in the spring of 2019 as a 2020 model with a list price of $150k+. I do not expect them to discontinue the C7 until they see what the market will bear.
Time will tell
And whether they do or they don't finally issue the mid engined version soon, the rumours will probably depress sales on the current cars in the meantime, unless the customers who want to wait for fear what they buy will be instantly superseded balances with the customers who want to buy the last of the front engined Vettes.

PS - there are some people that just keep swearing that Corvettes are a great investment and point at the 1960s cars that have finally gone up in value. When you ask them where they expect to be in another 50 years when the current cars (might) appreciate, they suddenly have nothing to say.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 11-15-2017 at 11:35 AM.
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
PS - there are some people that just keep swearing that Corvettes are a great investment and point at the 1960s cars that have finally gone up in value. When you ask them where they expect to be in another 50 years when the current cars (might) appreciate, they suddenly have nothing to say.
That's a very valid point you make.
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
2019 ZR1?

https://jalopnik.com/cars-without-fa...les-1818518076
HORNET1 likes this.

"You are the product" - Autoguide.com group forums
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Garage
Thanks, enjoyed that!
Steelmesh likes this.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
A little off topic?

Looks like this changed from a consideration of the GTO Solstice styling proposal, or if it is real, some information on who is or did this or if it's a Photoshop fantasy. Personally having bought a 1965 LeMans new back in 1965, having the family insurance agent talk my cosigning parent out of backing the GTO purchase, I would entertain this conversion just because. We can spend thousands on other Solstice body mods and get a knowing nod of approval.

This thread devolves into a discussion on new and vapor Corvettes. Check the December Car and Driver for more info on the 2019 ZR1. If I had the cash to afford a Corvette I would not worry about a water pump in the GXP. The little GXP rides almost as harshly as a buddy's Z06, but his is a pure track car.

If I missed the info on the GTO Solstice source, chalk it up to my new eyes using my old glasses. I know it's been exceeded many times in the last 50 years, but when I worked at Union Carbide electronics, one of the guys back from Viet Nam had a yellow '67 with all the options ticked off. The 427 tri-power with side pipes was a memory to walk by. Let's park 'em side by side and see who looks at what first.

Cheers,
Richard Snipes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 Corvette.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	97842  
marlboromike likes this.
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 12:10 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Garage
That was my favorite year of the Vette...but that pic is not OEM....where r the whitewall tires? I remember in basic training at Ft Dix, next door was McQuire AFB and that 67 Vette would beat every car on the runway...that 427 was FAST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	101_0974.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	820.4 KB
ID:	97849  

Last edited by marlboromike; 11-16-2017 at 12:12 PM.
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4501 Safari View Post
Looks like this changed from a consideration of the GTO Solstice styling proposal, or if it is real, some information on who is or did this or if it's a Photoshop fantasy. Personally having bought a 1965 LeMans new back in 1965, having the family insurance agent talk my cosigning parent out of backing the GTO purchase, I would entertain this conversion just because. We can spend thousands on other Solstice body mods and get a knowing nod of approval.

Cheers,
Richard Snipes
The GTO Solstice is real and the front end was built by the owner of the car. If the visual workmanship was not enough to impress you, consider that this all was done with the ability to unbolt that front end and bolt the stock front end back onto the car without any cutting or welding. This car can be returned to its unmolested original state whenever or if ever the owner desires. To me, that's more remarkable than anything else about the build.

As for being off topic, it's a conversation and this happens. For general discussions like this, wandering off topic is not only allowed, but expected. Wonderful things can come out of wandering around tossing out different thoughts and pursuing them.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
The GTO Solstice is real and the front end was built by the owner of the car. If the visual workmanship was not enough to impress you, consider that this all was done with the ability to unbolt that front end and bolt the stock front end back onto the car without any cutting or welding.
That impresses me! A whole lot of work and skill needed.

Wonder what a Kappa would look like in alien drag....

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Wahoo!

Robo,

Thanks for confirming the GTO Solstice is the real deal. When I first read the post I saved and printed the picture. Would love to see it closeup. Appears excellent craftsmanship. I think it's a candidate for a POCI Smoke Signals centerfold story. And, yes, conversations do wander down most interesting rabbit holes sometimes, pop back out and often gain a life of their own.

MM...the '67 'Vette I mentioned did look pretty much like that photo. It had the red line tires instead of whitewalls. The photo is not good enough to tell, but as they say, close enough, for a remembrance. As it turned out, the fellow had to get rid of the Vette when he could not afford to keep it up. If we'd only know what was so special back then. A classmate had a 427 solid lifter Fairlane. He was hot on the street. I remember when he told me he was selling the car. I asked why and he said "Got to get married." Lost in time.

I'd have a Sea Foam Green copy of the GTO Solstice. Thanks for the info.

Richard Snipes
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:58 AM

Garage
I have always loved the 67 GTO. Felt it was just a great design, but I literally fell in love with the Vette. Great car, and actually got fantastic gas mileage for what they were. I think it was around 17 miles to the gallon. If you could keep your foot out of the carb. It ran on the center 2 barrel and had plenty of power for any free way at the time. Had tons of fun with mine and made some terrible trades to get rid of it. It was my first coupe, two more to follow, but it was the only one I liked. The Solstice coupe just come up short for me. Would never have bought one new.

I had done the British car deal and got to drive them, but just never compared to the Vette in any way. Plus it always started in the winter.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Garage
...the world has no use for an electrified, self-driving Corvette. The whole point here is the roar of the engine, the connection between driver and road. Even though the 2017 Grand Sport is a brand new car, driving it feels like witnessing the last hurrah of a dying breed. But if you could go back in time and ride the the mightiest dinosaurs before that giant asteroid killed them all off, wouldn’t you?

2018 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible Review | Fortune

This Sky's not perfect, but it's perfect...for me

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Roadster/Small RWD Market/Other Vehicle General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in