Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat! - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Roadster/Small RWD Market/Other Vehicle General Discussion Discussion about owning, loving, lusting, or coveting roadsters and other small RWD'rs and "other" general vehicle discussion. Competitive vehicles, other "cool drives" and other discussion related to the ownership experience.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!

I have a small garage. It's 10 feet wide. It used to be 8 feet wide, but I illegally widened it. My garage/driveway and backyard are only 20 feet wide combined. I have/had THREE red sports cars and an SUV, my tenant has one, also, and has to park on the street. I've got a lift in my garage, so that I can store two 4 foot high vehicles. An Opel GT or two and/or my Pontiac Solstice Coupe. If one of those cars was just 1" taller, I wouldn't be able to park it. The car on top is 3" from the rafters, I have to leave room to raise the lift 2" so that the safety latches disengage and allow me to lower the car.

Parking at my house is tight.

I just put wider Corvette-style mirrors on my Solstice and my buddies were bustin' my balls that I wouldn't be able to pull into my garage without hitting my lift. Ha! Doubters! Plenty of room for a cat to slide through! (I had to park the car and climb out the window to take these pics.):

Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!-tight-parking-b.jpg Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!-tight-parking-c.jpg Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!-tight-parking-d.jpg Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!-tight-parking-e.jpg

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 07-12-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

You wanna talk about tight? Oh, I'll show you tight. Heck, I could put tractor trailer side view mirrors on my Solstice and still have more room than what I'm about to show you. Behold the clearance between my lift's crossbar and my Solstice's XM antenna!

Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!-tight-parking-f.jpg Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!-tight-parking-g.jpg

Heck, I get nervous about keeping my tires fully inflated. Can't slip a pack of chokes into the gap, but I can wedge a lighter in there!

This thread is about showing us YOUR tight parking conditions. Or it's about those of you who have an enormous amount of parking space and want to embarass and humiliate me and make the rest of us drool with envy.

Show us your parking spot!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Not quite as tight as yours, but I rent two spots on a park lift for my cars. The Saab and (obviously) the Sky are mine.

The lift can be raised or lowered with cars on it, the lower car sinks below ground level. Unfortunately my parking neighbors aren't the most courteous, so it can be a tight squeeze getting in and out. The Saab is an RHD car however, so it's not as bad as it looks in the photo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 11:33 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I wouldn't mind this tight parking area.

Adler
SMS TB
FalkenTires
Rear Camera
ACE 18" Rims
Custom Paint
JL Audio Amp
JL 13TW5 Sub
SMS Headers
Vertical Doors
Pioneer AVIC-Z1
JL Audio Surrounds
Functional Hood Vents
KappaSphere - Saturn MotorSports

3800: 6-20-06 vin 3895
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

This guy has no problem with tight parking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=IRXW7Ne1_88
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
How high is your ceiling and what type of lift do you have? Working on this issue myself.

2007 (2.4L)
Solo Cat
Magnaflo Redline dual exhaust
Werks Turbo @ 10 PSI
FE2 shocks
KappaSphere coil springs and rebar
ZOK anti-sway bars
DDM Works Latin Venom front brace, Pro Beam, Racing Back Bone
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

I bought a Backyard Buddy Economy lift for $2175. The thing to look for in lifts is how sturdy the "ladder" that the safety latches lock into is designed. You want the ladder bar to be part of the upright post, not bolted on seperately. BB welds the thick metal of the ladder bar directly to the post. Other brands may suspend the ladder bar by a single 3/8" bolt at the top. Those 3/8" bolts are the only thing keeping your car in the air! You want the holes that the latches go into to be firmly attached or actually part of the upright posts.

By the way, virtually all brands of lifts are all made at the same factory in China, except maybe the $5000 Backyard Buddy deluxe one that has gizmos that allow you to lift it up and roll it around.

Shipping and actually getting these lifts to your house is troublesome. They can ship it to a trucking depot near you and you can pick it up yourself, otherwise you'll need a forklift of your own or pay extra to have a truck bring a fork lift. They come as a 16' log that weighs 1200-1600 lbs.. I had them deliver it to a large auto repair shop just 4 blocks from my house that had a forklift. When I got home from work and stopped by, there it was in their parking lot. I unbolted the end plates that hold all the pieces together and took it home a couple of pieces at a time in 3 trips on my Jeep Cherokee's roof rack with some added 2x4's for support. The "runways" are serious heavy and one of them has the hydraulic cylinder. I could just barely get the empty one on my truck by myself, but I needed them to forklift the one with the cylinder in it onto my roof. At home I used my engine hoist to lift the runway with the cylinder in it off and lowered it onto a dolly I had. It only took me an hour to put it all together ready for use. It's not bolted to the floor, it's free standing. My Opel GT's(2000lbs.) and Solstice(3000lbs.) are each way under the 6000-7000 capacity of the thing, so no need to screw it to the floor.

I have a shared garage with one roof. My half has one half of the roof. With the lift shoved against the party wall where the roof is highest, the height where the Solstice or GT roofs would hit the garage roof beams is 106". The cross bar on the lift is 4"-5" thick. An Opel GT and a Solstice are both about 48" high. So, 48" + 48" + 4" = 102". I had 4" to work with. GT's have a narrower wheel stance than modern cars and the tires were hugging the inside edges of the 16" wide runways, so I moved the runway under the low part of my roof 8" inwards and redrilled the mounting holes. This probably added an extra couple of inches of ceiling clearance, so I now probably have 6"-7" of ceiling clearance.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 08:37 AM

I have 109" myself, thinking of putting vaulted trusses in my garage to pickup a couple feet of height in the center. It would get my garage door out of the way also.

I have been looking at a bendpak 7 myself, the backyard buddy looks interesting also.

2007 (2.4L)
Solo Cat
Werks Turbo @ 10 PSI
FE2 shocks
ZOK anti-sway bars
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

I don't need high security with my garage door set up so I installed a custom made rollup tarp with zippers on each side made by a local boat tarp maker. $375, way cheaper than an overhead garage door and color matched for the trim of my house. One pull of the lifting cord and it's up.

Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!-wir-leben-das-boot-001.jpg

Tight Parking? Bah! I Got You Beat!-yellow-stuff-021.jpg

109" is probably close to what I have too. Bendpack is a good brand. I looked at the 7 that runs on 120v. It looks good and has many of the same design aspects as mine. Go for it!

Last edited by The Scifi Guy; 07-18-2015 at 12:04 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Man that's tight! I guess I'm very fortunate.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:08 PM

I need to come up with somemore headroom, my Chevy Cruze is a little taller than my Sky.

2007 (2.4L)
Solo Cat
Werks Turbo @ 10 PSI
FE2 shocks
ZOK anti-sway bars

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Other KAPPA, Sky and Small Roadster/RWD Cars > Roadster/Small RWD Market/Other Vehicle General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in