Demolition started on Wilmington plant yesterday. - Page 2 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Sky News The latest news and press on the Saturn Sky in one location.

User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Reposted to the Solforum, credit given to Stan the man.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting article.

I hadn't realized that the facility had existed for that long, nor that our cars came down the same line as the extinct but unlamented Chevy Shovit (in Canada called a Pontiac Accordion).

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Interesting article.

I hadn't realized that the facility had existed for that long, nor that our cars came down the same line as the extinct but unlamented Chevy Shovit (in Canada called a Pontiac Accordion).
That is ironic. My very first car was a Pontiac Acadian. Loved that car - drove it until it died after nine years.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:10 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Demolished old properties, closing current production facilities
and dreaming of making electric cars and golf carts.

RIP ~ GM
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Garage
and with all that money GM received from Obama
they are saying F U to a bunch of US and Canadian workers by moving their plants.

I've said it before and I will say it again.
I really loved my Sky
But GM is such a piece of **** company. They will never get any of my money again

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
and with all that money GM received from Obama
they are saying F U to a bunch of US and Canadian workers by moving their plants.

I've said it before and I will say it again.
I really loved my Sky
But GM is such a piece of **** company. They will never get any of my money again
There's another thread on here (the lifting vehicle thread I think) where we diverted into a lengthy discussion on this topic, and I wont repeat it it all.

GM has not owned Wilmington since the bankruptcy and has nothing to do with this demolition.

GM is not moving any plants or production. All the plant closing and layoffs now looks to amount to about 1500 Union workers. Less than Lowes layed off with its recent announcement of store closings.

The Auto industry is changing, The US has to many plants to support the number of vehicles sold each year. There will be more plant closings. EV's will continue to grow as a % of the industry, their propulsion and transmission's are much simpler, which will also reduce the number of workers and plants.

Should a company continue to pay works to just stand around, when it has nothing for them to produce, should as GM did leading up to the Bankruptcy Just keep making cars to keep people employed and hope they can sell enough to overcome the fixed costs?

Seems to me the smart move is to close plants you don't need when you don't need them and continue to make a profit.

GM paid back all the money lent it (Can't hold GM responsible for the Feds cashing in there stock at a loss).

People can continue to buy cars made by Foreign OEM's and complain about the US companies closing, but I am pretty sure, that will only lead to more closings, but I could be wrong on that.

So this round of layoffs about 1500 Hourly (was originally around 3K but many took jobs at other plants), many many more salaried forget the number with the executive staff getting the highest % reduction. The % I do recall 3% Hourly reduction, 15% Salaried, 25% Executive. Of course I think I heard that GM has about 1500 open positions at other plants (but the 1500 being laid off did not want to relocate)- the net impact to the US economy would still be a wash from the Union workforce.

Anyhow just thought I would share some facts you don't see much of in the media.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
It is easy for people who have no idea how an industry (or anything else, really) works to make self-righteous proclamations about how badly things are being done, and how they should be done instead. Ignorance truly is bliss, and many people would prefer to not know the truth.

John
Lexington, KY
Sky NA 2007 Midnight Blue
Sky RL 2008 Carbon Flash - Naked
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:27 PM

Garage
I stand 100% by what I said.

GM gave a large amount of the Gov money to their Execs as bonuses and No, they did not pay back the money 100%.
Thats a whole different debate.

Ford is retooling their factories to adapt to the new car standard and eliminating cars from certain geographical locations based on significant market research.
GM not so much.

and then lets talk about how GM handles serious defects. Ignition and airbag, vs other companies.

I stand by what I stated.

Fawk GM.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Precisely. What comes to mind is ...... in the deal the US negotiators made in behalf of the US tax payers, WHO made the decision to sell the stock when they did? (oh!, here comes the latest legislative dance step) And NO, we don't need a legislative hearing on the issue. (It is the easiest way to steal tax payers money and then just plead stupidity)

GM can't be blamed for getting a good deal from the our most inexperienced business people (aka, lawyers), LOL.

Last edited by 44thSKY; 12-15-2018 at 07:55 PM.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:12 AM

Garage
Yea but GM Executives can be blamed for running the company like crap and needing a bailout.
Their executives can also be blamed for being arrogant a-holes by flying in a personal jet to ask for money
GM can be blamed for having a network of very incompetent dealerships that are way worse than the competition.
as well as hiding defects that can and did cause deaths, vs issuing recalls like other companies do.

The whole airbag sensor issue is significant proof of the latter. That was recalled and replaced for free IN OTHER GM VEHICLES!!!
Yet Kappa owners had to pay for theirs to be replaced until Robocop went out of his way and petitioned for NHSTA to pressure GM to fix it.

Sorry but I am not ignorant on how the car industry works or where it's going. Quite the opposite which is why GM will never get my money again.

I did drive by the old location yesterday, but did not get off and check out the destruction. That is a shame as there were a lot of good people who built the Kappa who were very dedicated to it. Anyone who did the Mecca tour(s) can attest to how much they loved see our passion for it

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 PM

Garage
More GM B.S. to back up my opinion of them being a piece of $h1t company.

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f...ag-woes-94915/

This is going to result in another Class Action lawsuit as its occurring in Trucks and Cadillacs as well.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Sky News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in