Ignition Switch Recall 07 Sky's - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Sky News The latest news and press on the Saturn Sky in one location.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ignition Switch Recall 07 Sky's

Just saw this today for the 07 Sky and Pontiac Solstice

GM adds 588,000 cars to ignition switch recall

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:36 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bobfred44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRedline View Post
Just saw this today for the 07 Sky and Pontiac Solstice

GM adds 588,000 cars to ignition switch recall
Great news. Thank you.

2008 Silver Pearl R/L
Black
Premium Interior
XM, 6CD
Manual
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Now that's really cool, since my switch IS defective. They wanted OVER $500 to replace it... Lets see how long it takes them to mail me my recall..

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DETROIT —
General Motors on Tuesday doubled to 1.6 million the number of small cars it is recalling to fix faulty ignition switches linked to multiple fatal crashes.

Just two weeks ago, GM announced the recall of more than 780,000 Chevrolet Cobalts and Pontiac G5s. It's now adding 842,000 Saturn Ion compacts, Chevrolet HHR SUVs and Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky sports cars.

The company was immediately lambasted by a well-known safety advocate who says GM knew of the problem for years and waited too long to recall the cars even though people were killed because of the problem.

GM says a heavy key ring or jarring from rough roads can cause the ignition switch to move out of the run position and shut off the engine and electrical power. That can knock out power-assisted brakes and steering and disable the front air bags. The problem has been linked to 31 crashes and 13 front-seat deaths. In the fatalities, the air bags did not inflate, but the engines did not shut off in all cases, GM said.

It was unclear whether the ignition switches caused the crashes, or whether people died because the air bags didn't inflate.

The vehicles being recalled include: Chevrolet Cobalts and Pontiac G5s from the 2005 through 2007 model years; Saturn Ion compacts from 2003 through 2007; and Chevrolet HHR SUVs and Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky sports cars from 2006 and 2007. Most of the cars were sold in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.

According to a chronology of events that GM filed Monday with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the company knew of the problem as early as 2004, and was told of at least one fatal crash in March of 2007. GM issued service bulletins in 2005 and 2006 telling dealers how to fix the problem with a key insert, and advising them to tell customers not to dangle too many items from their key chains. But the company's records showed that only 474 vehicle owners got the key inserts.

GM thought the service bulletin was sufficient because the car's steering and brakes were operable even after the engines lost power, according to the chronology.

By the end of 2007, GM knew of 10 cases in which Cobalts were in front-end crashes where the air bags didn't inflate, the chronology said.

In 2005, GM initially approved an engineer's plan to redesign the ignition switch, but the change was "later canceled," according to the chronology.

"They knew by 2007 they had 10 incidents where the air bag didn't deploy in this type of crash," said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the consumer advocacy group Center for Auto Safety. "This is a case where both GM and NHTSA should be held accountable for doing a recall no later than the spring of 2007."

GM North American President Alan Batey said in a statement that the process to examine the problem "was not as robust" as it should have been and said the GM of today would behave differently. "We will take an unflinching look at what happened and apply lessons learned here to improve going forward," he said.

GM spokesman Alan Adler said that initially the rate of problems per 1,000 vehicles was low, so the company did not recall the cars.

Messages were left seeking comment from NHTSA.

Dealers will replace the ignition switch for free, but Adler said it will take some time for the parts to be manufactured and sent to dealers. No time frame was given for making the repairs.

"We are deeply sorry and we are working to address this issue as quickly as we can," Batey
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Question

My only concern with this recall is simple. I read yesterday on another one these articles that it was NOT clear if they will be using the "old" part number or the "NEW" part on the replacements.. So I'll have to tell my adviser when I go in to do the job to make sure they install the newest and latest version of the ignition switch.. Either way I'm grateful GM saw the wisdom of doing the right thing..., which BTW will make me reconsider my previous statements of not ever buying another GM vehicle.. For the moment, I await my recall voucher...

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 02-26-2014 at 10:09 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What about the 2008 Sky and Pontiac G8 GT?

2008 White Pontiac G8 GT
2008 White Sky Redline
2008 Techno Grey Redline !!
1998 White Honda Gold Wing
2004 Mazda Rx8
Betsy... 65 Ford Econoline sold 08/12 :)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz View Post
What about the 2008 Sky and Pontiac G8 GT?
What about it? DUH!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
My only concern with this recall is simple. I read yesterday on another one these articles that it was NOT clear if they will be using the "old" part number or the "NEW" part on the replacements.. So I'll have to tell my adviser when I go in to do the job to make sure they install the newest and latest version of the ignition switch.. Either way I'm grateful GM saw the wisdom of doing the right thing..., which BTW will make me reconsider my previous statements of not ever buying another GM vehicle.. For the moment, I await my recall voucher...
It's been a month MB..Hear anything from them yet?

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRedline View Post
It's been a month MB..Hear anything from them yet?
Nope, but it'll happen...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
Nope, but it'll happen...
Looks like we are all in the same boat now...I know it have been said 16 times now TS I just wanted to update the post...

GENERAL INFORMATION

Q: Which vehicles are involved?
A: All 2005-2007 Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5, 2003-2007 Saturn Ion, 2006-2007 Chevrolet HHR, 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada), 2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice and 2007 Saturn Sky vehicles are involved in the recall. On March 28, 2014, the recall was expanded to include the following vehicles - 2008 – 2010 Pontiac Solstice and G5; 2008-2010 Saturn Sky; 2008-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt; 2008-2011 Chevrolet HHR.

Q: Why are these vehicles being recalled?
A: There is a risk, under certain conditions, that your ignition switch may move out of the “run” position, resulting in a partial loss of electrical power and turning off the engine. This risk increases if your key ring is carrying added weight (such as more keys or the key fob) or your vehicle experiences rough road conditions or other jarring or impact related events. If the ignition switch is not in the run position, the air bags may not deploy if the vehicle is involved in a crash, increasing the risk of injury or fatality.

Until the recall repairs have been performed, it is very important that you remove all items from your key ring, leaving only the vehicle key. The key fob (if applicable), should also be removed from your key ring.

Q: Where will the notification letters be sent?
A: The current owner information from your state vehicle registration will be used to mail out customer communication for the recall.

Q: What will GM do?
A: We are working as quickly as possible to obtain parts, and expect to have parts beginning in April of this year. We will contact affected customers as soon as parts are available so that they can schedule an appointment with their dealer to have their vehicle repaired. This service will be performed at no charge.

Because of scheduling requirements, it is likely that dealers will need to keep affected vehicles longer than the actual service correction time of approximately 30 minutes.

Q: What should you do if you have an affected vehicle?
A: When GM notifies you that parts are available, you should contact your GM dealer to arrange a service appointment. It is very important that you remove all items from your key ring, leaving only the vehicle key. The key fob (if applicable) should also be removed from your key ring.

Q: What if you are an affected customer who already paid for this repair?
A: When GM notifies you that parts are available, GM will also provide instructions for you to request reimbursement if you paid for repairs for the recall condition previously.

Q: Are the recalled vehicles safe to drive?
A: The simple answer to that question is yes. The GM engineers have done extensive analysis to make sure if you use only the ignition key with no additional items on the key ring, that the vehicle is safe to drive.

Q: If you own a Saturn/Pontiac that is affected by the recall, where should you take your car to have the recall repairs performed?
A: Any Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac dealer can perform the repairs.

Q: Why weren’t all of the vehicles (2008-2011) included initially when the ignition switch was recalled?
A: Some of these vehicles may have been repaired with faulty switches sold to dealers and aftermarket wholesalers. This expansion of the recall is out of an abundance of caution and to make sure that all makes and models that may have the faulty ignition switch get the correct part. It is important for customer confidence and peace of mind.

PARTS AVAILABILITY & REPAIR TIMING

Q: When can affected customers reasonably expect to be able to get their car fixed?
A: We expect the first parts to be available beginning in April, with parts availability improving as time goes on. We will be working with customers on an individual, case-by-case basis to minimize inconvenience associated with the recall. We also are working diligently with our suppliers to develop and validate replacement parts and to have increased production in place to meet demand.

GM will be mailing customers a letter the week of March 10 informing them of the recall and reminding them to use only the ignition key (no key fob or other material) until the recall repair is completed. Customers will also get a second letter informing them when they can contact dealers for repair appointments.

Q: What exactly is the repair? How long will it take?
A: The ignition switch will be replaced. Because of service scheduling requirements, it is likely that dealers will need to keep vehicles longer than the actual service correction time, which is approximately 30 minutes.

Q: Once the repair is completed, can customers put a heavy key ring back on?
A: We recommend that customers only utilize the key, key ring and key fob (if equipped) that came with the vehicle.

08 Redline
3 pedal
Trifecta Tune

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Sky News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in