Not good at all! - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Sky News The latest news and press on the Saturn Sky in one location.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simkow View Post
Define "around here" please.
Northern NJ, There's several large "by appointment only" auto wholesalers that have large inventories of "voluntary surrendered" and "repo'd' vehicles, I've been thinking bout getting a convertible for my fiance's b-day next month and while searching through TONS of Boxsters I came across more than a few Kappas none go for over 18k and none with more than 19k miles. Sol's are much easier to find probably out number Sky's 5-1 but I'm sure in coming months there will be more available. At the the end of the day the market for Kappa vehicles is shrinking, everyone that wants one has already purchased one, and many that have purchased one no longer can afford them or they just aren't practical enough. In the next couple months it wouldn't surprise me to see Base Kappa's for 12k and Turbo Kappa's for 14k.

R-U! Go Scarlet Knights!
post #32 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I just did an Edmonds.com search for a radius of 200 miles, which in my case covers half of my state. I got 15 hits on used Skys either model and the lowest priced one was starting at $18,500. I think our cars are holding pretty well considering.. As summer approaches, those prices will hold and even perhaps firm up..

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #33 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 05:43 PM

It's official, Saturn is going to be killed

Industry News: GM To Officially Kill Saturn Brand, Most Of Pontiac
post #34 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 05:56 PM

Angry

Sad day indeed once I see and get confirmation... GM wants that government hand out real bad, they do NOT want to declare bankruptcy which in my opinion is idiotic..

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #35 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
Sad day indeed once I see and get confirmation... GM wants that government hand out real bad, they do NOT want to declare bankruptcy which in my opinion is idiotic..
GM, Chrysler Release Viability Plans - WSJ.com

Chili Pepper Redline
December 2006
http://www.facebook.com/HillCountryTeaPartyPatriots

Sorrow looks back, Worry looks around, Happiness looks forward, but Faith looks up!

Last edited by Texas Red Line; 02-17-2009 at 06:24 PM.
post #36 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Red Line View Post

I just read WSJ.. and was coming here to post...

the funny thing is... if ya search the news (news.yahoo.com) for Saturn GM, you'll notice 9 of 10 articles seem to already say Saturn is gone.

But... seems the truth is... that GM is saying "IF" we dont get money, Saturn is gone.

Yellow Sky Redline
Delivered: 11-17-2006
As of 10/16/2017: 79,000 miles and a GMPP tune
Tune back soon... resurrection is taking place.
post #37 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnuld View Post
I just read WSJ.. and was coming here to post...

the funny thing is... if ya search the news (news.yahoo.com) for Saturn GM, you'll notice 9 of 10 articles seem to already say Saturn is gone.

But... seems the truth is... that GM is saying "IF" we dont get money, Saturn is gone.
No, it has nothing to do with getting the money. Either Saturn gets sold to an outside buyer or the products will cease production in 2011.
post #38 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Saturn should start looking to split themselves off from GM, while they are at it, tell GM they want that Tennessee plant back.. It would be interesting to see Saturn take on the other GM cars (and every one else for that matter) as a stand alone entity..

post #39 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:08 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Published at 8:33am today.
GM seeks more goverment aid - Business First of Buffalo:

Saturn will remain in operation for the next several years, through the end of the planned life cycle. In the interim, GM said it would be open to sale or spin-off of the brand. If a spin-off or sale does not occur, GM plans to phase out the Saturn brand at the end of the current product lifecycle.

Yellow Sky Redline
Delivered: 11-17-2006
As of 10/16/2017: 79,000 miles and a GMPP tune
Tune back soon... resurrection is taking place.
post #40 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Question I'm still taking a wait and see stand on this one!

The scenario to follow may not be as bleak as it first sounds?
I'm still betting on the Saturn Retailers standing behind their product line and with the firm Opel infusion and their commitment I believe they have a great future. How the Sky plays in all this is still a question as it is one of the few American Production vehicles in the new line-up but it was up for retooling in the 2011-12 time frame anyway?

Here's a link to the full 117 page GM 2009 – 2014 Restructuring Plan presented on February 17, 2009, I pulled out the statement below as to Saturn's future - same statement as Ahnuld posted from News article above.

Saturn Dealers to Spin-Off From GM Into New Company - WSJ.com

http://media.gm.com/us/gm/en/news/govt/docs/plan.pdf

"Saturn will remain in operation through the end of the planned lifecycle for all Saturn products (2010-2011). In the interim, should Saturn retailers as a group or other investors present a plan that would allow a spin off or sale of Saturn Distribution Corporation (SDC), GM would be open to any such possibility. If a spin off or sale does not occur, it is GM‘s intention to phase out the Saturn brand at the end of the current product lifecycle."

Sky Redline
Chili Pepper Red
with Black Trim

5-SPD, 6-CD/MP3, XM, Polished Alloy, LSD, Spoiler
Deposit 06/10/06
Delivered 02/28/07!!!
Sold to Aubrey & Bill Hahn

Last edited by SKYMAN-CT; 02-18-2009 at 09:14 AM.
post #41 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM

I understand that we don't want to see Saturn go under. But, wouldn't that be a good thing for us? In terms of resale value if the car was only made for 3-4 years than in 5 years when people want to buy a used one they will have such a small pool that we as the used SKY owners can demand more money and keep the cars exclusive title by making people pay top buck for it!

I say this because I see whats going on at my buddies Lotus forum, people are giving them away. I mean to the point where I had to make a joke about Enterprise Rent A Car offering the Lotus for 20 bucks a day.

So I do not want to see Saturn go, but it may not be the worst thing in the world in the long term.

I see people every day that LOVE my car. There will be folks for years to come LOVING our car especially if its killed from production!

Do or don't do, There is no try.
post #42 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:34 AM

Let me please state that I DO NOT WANT TO SEE SATURN GO!

Do or don't do, There is no try.
post #43 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Tarantula Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RU-Sky View Post
Northern NJ, There's several large "by appointment only" auto wholesalers that have large inventories of "voluntary surrendered" and "repo'd' vehicles, I've been thinking bout getting a convertible for my fiance's b-day next month and while searching through TONS of Boxsters I came across more than a few Kappas none go for over 18k and none with more than 19k miles. Sol's are much easier to find probably out number Sky's 5-1 but I'm sure in coming months there will be more available. At the the end of the day the market for Kappa vehicles is shrinking, everyone that wants one has already purchased one, and many that have purchased one no longer can afford them or they just aren't practical enough. In the next couple months it wouldn't surprise me to see Base Kappa's for 12k and Turbo Kappa's for 14k.
Does that mean you won't buy my car for $25k

Not good at all!-kingdondrags.jpg

Not good at all!-1powder-cover-valve-cover.jpg

Not good at all!-my-wheels-armano-xix-20-wheels-3.jpg

Not good at all!-1color-coded-caps.jpg

07 Auto Blue GM Tune
XIX 20s/Slotted Rotors
Fujita CAI & IC Pipes/Magnaflow Quad Tips
KW DNX8120/VerticalDoors/
WR /Sequential/Pulsing 3rd BL/SmokeLights
post #44 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:00 AM

I think the value of the Sky in coming years will depend on what is available as an alternative.

Hard core collectors will get their Sky cheap now, and I assume that is a small pool of buyers compared to the overall Sky population.

Investors (anyone hoping to hold the car and sell for a profit) have lower risk alternatives for their investment dollar.

The remaining buyers, people looking for a used, weekend sports car, will look at the choices available. If car makers stop making sports cars, we win. If other excellent sports cars appear at a reasonable price, we lose.

When I was in college in the early 70's, you could buy a Triumph or MG for very little. The car everyone wanted (if you couldn't afford a Vette or Porsche) was the 240Z. At that time, a lot of car for the money. The unreliable British cars were driven by a small group of hard core enthusiasts - but the general public went for the Z.

Ed
post #45 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=Tamay48;406743]Does that mean you won't buy my car for $25k

You seem to change your asking price everyday. I kind of enjoy checking the site everyday to see your new price
Closed Thread

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Sky News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in