Ruby Red Special Edition OFFICIAL #'s... - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Sky News The latest news and press on the Saturn Sky in one location.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wheels, seat stitching, and stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
Ah, OK, that's about what I figured. The car makers sure are quick to make fake collectibles by adding a few dohickeys and a different colour. MG did it, mazda has done it, a lot of them do it.

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Appearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
Wheels, seat stitching, and stripes.
Yep - it was an appearance package.

Might be more rare/collectible if there was something truly different - beefier turbo - 6 speed trans - or even just more leather than plastic inside - or beefier brakes - or some combination of all the above - a Performance Package - with the altered appearance being the visual reflection of the enhanced power and luxury.

Oh well - just following the general trend of products in the US of late - slap a "Collector's Edition" label on it and artificially restrict the production volume = it MUST be more valuable/desirable.

Which is not to say that I don't like the RR LE - in fact considered it before I found my "used" car - just that it seems to me that a truly rare/unique/desirable/highly valued item is one that cannot be determined at the time of manufacture - but only 10, 20, 30 or however many years later and that the truly rare and most highly valued items are likely to be the ones that NO ONE thought to save or preserve when they were new. In fact in the case such as a toy - I would think that MASSIVE production volume perhaps over a very limited time of an item that almost everyone considered essentially worthless shortly thereafter - resulting in most of instances being discarded, destroyed, melted down, etc - may be the most prized, valuable, etc - given that MANY people had experience with them at an early age and only a tiny quantity survived. Think of any US Silver coins - which were supposed to all be collected and melted down for military use - they were once common but now are extremely rare - many folks had direct experience with them - but not limited supply drives the price up - until you get to a point perhaps where there is no one left who had direct hands on experience - then it is left to collectors who learn the history or the item rather than have first hand nostalgic experience.

And of course as with many things that people get involved in there will be a cyclical action where supply and demand wax and wane over time. along with mis-guided folks following either the upward or downward trends and making predictions based on too small a data set and then being surprised when anything that people are involved in does not follow a perfectly linear progression based on a small subset of data.

'09 RL Ruby Red Manual
3rd brake pulser-seq'l tail lights
Retracting motorized front license
HID low beam & fogs
3" Magnaflow
DDM Works - Charge Tubes,Cross Bay Brace,Tunnel Brace,Center Console,Fender Trim,Sway bars,Drilled Rotors,Hawk pads
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Garage
Yup, you are right about tastes changing an affecting value.

Wonder what that Beanie Baby collection is going to be worth in 2025..... or whether the big V8 stuff will still draw the dollars it does today when all of us yuppies are gone and the upcoming generation just wants to know where they can buy the latest killer exhaust tips for their Civics.

The American manufacturers have always been keen on this sort of 'limited edition' even when it was only limited to the number they could sell. I have had people tell me how rare their old Chev was - only 500 made that year with that colour interior AND the specific gauge package.......

GM only managed to make a true limited edition of the Solstice coupe by going bankrupt - a rather extreme method, I think!

1957 Jamaican MGA
1958 MGA Twincam
1962 MGA Coupe
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
departed
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently obtain a rrle with 5 k miles. It is automatic without a scath on it. Did you ever find out how many. 09 automatic were made?
Gaboy

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Sky News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in