Wilmington to close early 2010 (from GM Insider) - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
Sky News The latest news and press on the Saturn Sky in one location.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs down Wilmington to close early 2010 (from GM Insider)

Here is the link to plant closures put out by GM. GM Inside news reports that the first plant to go into full closure will be Wilmington in early 2010.
Exclusive: GMI Learns of Plant Closings - GM Inside News Forum
It appears that 2010 will be the last model year for our Kappas.

Riding High In My Sky
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bummer

I hope I can get a GXP by then otherwise I'll have to drop a supercharger in this one.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin View Post
Bummer

I hope I can get a GXP by then otherwise I'll have to drop a supercharger in this one.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8TR View Post
Here is the link to plant closures put out by GM. GM Inside news reports that the first plant to go into full closure will be Wilmington in early 2010.
Exclusive: GMI Learns of Plant Closings - GM Inside News Forum
It appears that 2010 will be the last model year for our Kappas.
Try 2009 G8TR. Unless Saturn has a definite agreement in it's new form, Saturn is done at the end of this current model year and Pontiac by the end of MY2010. The "article" states early 2010 is when the plant will close so that more than likely means after build out for the current model year is done, that's it for Wilmington. The time after build out may be used for equipment tear down and dismantling the plant.

2008 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Black/5 spd
LNF Power Upgrade
GMPP CAI/Cat-Back Exhaust
Splash Guards
Opel Antenna

2008 Astra XR 3 dr
Twilight Blue/Black/5 spd
Splash Guards

ImSaturn
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoBlues View Post
Try 2009 G8TR. Unless Saturn has a definite agreement in it's new form, Saturn is done at the end of this current model year and Pontiac by the end of MY2010. The "article" states early 2010 is when the plant will close so that more than likely means after build out for the current model year is done, that's it for Wilmington. The time after build out may be used for equipment tear down and dismantling the plant.
I was wondering about that. That would truly make me mad.

Riding High In My Sky
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 03:54 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveSky67 Send a message via MSN to SteveSky67 Send a message via Yahoo to SteveSky67
Quote:
I was wondering about that. That would truly make me mad.
How do you think the employees feel, I'm sure they are not happy about this either..but yet these cars, especially the '09's and the coupes will be worth more. Glad I have one of those discontinued colors and not one of those common one.

"Jessica" '08 Redline
Bluestone
Automatic
08/10/07 Order Date
09/11/07 Picked Up
04/03/09 PAID IN FULL
04/18/09 TITLE IN HAND
20 Time Trophy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
I've taken a rear-ending or two in my day, but I've never been slammed like that! :eek:
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thumbs down

I don't think this mecca 3 deal is going to be as much fun as ya'll thought it would be. (maybe for the participants it will be, certainly not for the employees holding ya'lls hand that day..) Now in away, I am glad I did not carve out the time to go to this one. Those guys are not going to be happy to see a bunch of guys that love what they made IMO. Especially, since they will be out a job soon enough, as all these guys & gals tool away after the visit into the sunset..

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties. Abraham Lincoln

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties. Barack Obama
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Yes, it is clear that 2009 will be the last model year for the Sky, since Saturn is shutting down "by the end of 2009 at the latest" according to the GM press release. they will not be building any 2010 model Saturns. It looks like they MAY build 2010 Solstice starting in June/July, and running thru November/December. I am only *guessing* on that, but saying the plant will "close" in early 2010 tells me they will not just sit around waiting to "close" in early 2010, so I think they will be building Solstice during that time.

Now, just think....Our Skys were only built for a total of 3 model years. The last model year only ran for 7 1/2 months, with the last 2 months of production skewing heavily toward Solstice Coupes. I just can't imagine that very many 2009s were built.

If you want a new Sky, you better move NOW. I was at my Saturn dealer yesterday, and they were having a very hard time finding a Sky Redline that a customer had requested. One guy here on this forum in Canada was talking about having a hard time finding a redline in a specific color. Every day, the supply of available Skys will get smaller....and eventually soon, the last new Sky will be gone.

2006 Deep Solstice NA...Traded in for:
2009 Sky Redline Ruby Red Limited Edition
5 speed manual/rear spoiler added/6 disc/Monsoon
GMPP Tune/MBRP Charge Pipes/DDM Backbone & Probeam/K&N Drop in/HIDs
*Thank You Bob Lutz* And Wilmington UAW 435
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSky67 View Post
How do you think the employees feel, I'm sure they are not happy about this either..but yet these cars, especially the '09's and the coupes will be worth more. Glad I have one of those discontinued colors and not one of those common one.
Steve, My comment was not made in the spirit of anything except my personal feeling. I feel bad for the employees and for the times all of them are headed towards. I wouldn't want to be put into that position.
As far as the coupes and the '09s being worth more. No one can gauge interest at this point. The other dealers are already saying that the Kappas value has fallen off the board. If you're talking years from now, that will be up to the collectors buying the cars. From my own perspective, I wouldn't want a coupe. I think they're fugly. Why would the 09s be worth more? The only car that will be worth more is the last one off the line. You want the first one, the ones with the most hp, etc.

Riding High In My Sky
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBlues View Post
I don't think this mecca 3 deal is going to be as much fun as ya'll thought it would be. (maybe for the participants it will be, certainly not for the employees holding ya'lls hand that day..) Now in away, I am glad I did not carve out the time to go to this one. Those guys are not going to be happy to see a bunch of guys that love what they made IMO. Especially, since they will be out a job soon enough, as all these guys & gals tool away after the visit into the sunset..
Midnite, I hear what you're saying but it could also be a moral booster for them as well to know that those of us that bought one care about them also. I'm personally looking forward to seeing the inside of the plant since I toured Spring Hill a couple of times as an employee. I will be happy to meet and thank those that had a part in building this Saturn I currently own. Yes, it SUCKS in a big way that Wilmington is closing and the Kappa line is finished. But all good things come to an end eventually.

This isn't the first line GM has killed. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Trans Ams no longer being built. I've turned my attention to researching used ones and eventually I hope to buy probably a 70's era version. But the "end" of not only one, but two brands that have basically filled my "driveway" since my first car has left me with a feeling that I probably will not be buying a GM product in the future. Something I never thought would happen as I "aged". So am I worried about the future of the two cars I drive now? Not really. I will keep them. Yes, eventually some parts will be hard to find. Salvage yards will be the first place but like the now dead Fiero and every other GM car that is long gone, there are ways to replace those parts whether its OEM or aftermarket.

Sorry for the rant. Just sucks but GM has to finally come to terms with decades of mistakes.

2008 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Black/5 spd
LNF Power Upgrade
GMPP CAI/Cat-Back Exhaust
Splash Guards
Opel Antenna

2008 Astra XR 3 dr
Twilight Blue/Black/5 spd
Splash Guards

ImSaturn
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveSky67 Send a message via MSN to SteveSky67 Send a message via Yahoo to SteveSky67
Quote:
I wouldn't want a coupe. I think they're fugly. Why would the 09s be worth more? The only car that will be worth more is the last one off the line. You want the first one, the ones with the most hp, etc.
I saw a coupe at the Myrtle Beach Meet and I didn't pay it no mind.....I walked passed it like it was any other car....Well maybe I was wrong on the '09 thing...

"Jessica" '08 Redline
Bluestone
Automatic
08/10/07 Order Date
09/11/07 Picked Up
04/03/09 PAID IN FULL
04/18/09 TITLE IN HAND
20 Time Trophy Winner

Quote:
I've taken a rear-ending or two in my day, but I've never been slammed like that! :eek:
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
I have a feeling this is going to be very "low key" and nothing like last year, but it is what it is...and this is now way the employees fault, management is to blame...pure and simple...IMO

"Jessica" '08 Redline
Bluestone
Automatic
08/10/07 Order Date
09/11/07 Picked Up
04/03/09 PAID IN FULL
04/18/09 TITLE IN HAND
20 Time Trophy Winner

Quote:
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSky67 View Post
I have a feeling this is going to be very "low key" and nothing like last year, but it is what it is...and this is now way the employees fault, management is to blame...pure and simple...IMO
I hope that the people working there will see this as our support for the American worker and for the Kappa platform. I hate to see this platform go. I hate what happens to the workers, and Steve, as you very well know, management can run a company into the ground. They've been doing it to us for years, and it's just getting worse. Glad I'm eligible to go anytime that I want to.

Riding High In My Sky
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
I hope that the people working there will see this as our support for the American worker and for the Kappa platform. I hate to see this platform go. I hate what happens to the workers, and Steve, as you very well know, management can run a company into the ground. They've been doing it to us for years, and it's just getting worse. Glad I'm eligible to go anytime that I want to.
Well that is my feeling as well....Even last year when everything was good, I thanked everyone that I met personally for making such a fine car...When i went on my "special tour", I told the guide I never knew so much went into making a car...any car....and I don't care what the critics say about how much they get paid, they deserve every penny they make....and yes, i know what you mean about running a company into the ground.....

And Ric, make you stop by and say Hi, I will be the one in the Bluestone

"Jessica" '08 Redline
Bluestone
Automatic
08/10/07 Order Date
09/11/07 Picked Up
04/03/09 PAID IN FULL
04/18/09 TITLE IN HAND
20 Time Trophy Winner

Quote:
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8TR: I hope that the people working there will see this as our support for the American worker and for the Kappa platform. I hate to see this platform go. I hate what happens to the workers, and Steve, as you very well know, management can run a company into the ground.

This is why the tour is not being called anything but "The Appreciation Tour."
I have been to the past two tours at Wilmington, and both had a different spirit and tone. Each one was just amazing!

This tour will no doubt be respectful and mindful of the current situation and we would like every plant employee to know that we continually appreciate all they've done for this platform. Through their dedication and commitment in assembling the cars we love, a community has evolved. That's plenty of reason to want to visit and I think they don't mind that.

Just shut up and drive.
Proud Founder of MASC/MASSC
Classic 2006 Pontiac Solstice
2010 Mini Cooper S

Last edited by solli4me; 04-28-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Sky News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in