Long Term Kappa review not favorable - Page 4 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1772 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunburstSky View Post
Ok, I'll bite whats the top trick?
I just saw this (I know, holidays were busy what can I say?) and I'll tell you, really simple.
  1. Roll down the driver's side Window.
  2. Unlatch the roof.
  3. Open trunk using key fob.
  4. Reaching outside of the driver's window and back you can get your fingers under the trunk lid.
  5. Flip up quickly with your fingers to open the trunk. This takes practice as you don't want to flip too hard. Just enough to get the trunk just under 45 degrees.
  6. As the trunk goes up lower roof. Should slide in under the trunk going up.
  7. Trunk should begin to descend again if you've flipped it up right. If not, you can reach up and grab the latch in the middle of the trunk's leading edge so long as you have it at 45 degrees or less.
  8. Close trunk.

All this can be done from in the car. I did it on the last run I went on and had a Solstice owner come up to me and say in excitment, "Did I just see you put the top down from inside the car!?" Yes... "Can you show me how you did that!?!?!?"

Seriously, I've done this in stop and go traffic. Takes all of a couple seconds once you get it down.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 05:44 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdigiant View Post

The Bottom Line: If you want to read quality articles and useful reviews, Playboy Magazine may be for you.
Good one!
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I just saw this (I know, holidays were busy what can I say?) and I'll tell you, really simple.
  2. Unlatch the roof.
  4. Reaching outside of the driver's window and back you can get your fingers under the trunk lid.
  5. Flip up quickly with your fingers to open the trunk. This takes practice as you don't want to flip too hard. Just enough to get the trunk just under 45 degrees.
  7. Trunk should begin to descend again if you've flipped it up right. If not, you can reach up and grab the latch in the middle of the trunk's leading edge so long as you have it at 45 degrees or less.
  8. Close trunk.

All this can be done from in the car. I did it on the last run I went on and had a Solstice owner come up to me and say in excitment, "Did I just see you put the top down from inside the car!?" Yes... "Can you show me how you did that!?!?!?"

Seriously, I've done this in stop and go traffic. Takes all of a couple seconds once you get it down.
Did you ever know that your my hero? When are you going to come by Kappasphere and host a class on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 11:43 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
  2. Unlatch the roof.
  8. Close trunk.

I would love to see a video of you doing this.

I See Redlines
08 Sky RedLine Silver - 12-16-07
07 Sky RedLine Silver - 9-22-06
07 Base Sky Silver - 3-06
07 Aura
07 Outlook XR
06 Vue
05 VUE REDLINE
4-04 Ion RedLines
2-03 EFX Ion Coupes
2-02 EFX SC2 Coupes
2-98 SL2'S
1-08 ASTRA XR
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:00 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
  2. Unlatch the roof.
  8. Close trunk.

I'm thinking
1. My arms are too short to make this happen...and...
2. I'm too much of a wuss.

But it's definitely worth a try!
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:35 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LOL Roof issue: NOT AN ISSUE; Noisey chassey not really, just a squeaky wind deflector. SLOW; HMMM MAYBE A HEAVEY FLY WHEEL. TURBO WILL CURE THIS. NOISY ENGINE? ARE THEY KIDDING ME? NOISY TRANNY WELL I AGREE WITH THEM THERE!!!! COMFORT, STYLE, LUXURY? GOD IT HAS ALL YOU NEED!!! (EXCEPT POWER LOCKS ) I acutally feel safe knowing that there isnt any thing extravagant for a crook to drool over and damage the car. THE BMW and Mazda LOOK SO WIMPY!! BIG PEOPLE LOOK SO CRAMPED IN THE THINGs, JUST DOESNT LOOK MANLY OR SEXY ENOUGH FOR ME. FOR THE PRICE $28K OUT THE DOOR the SKY CANT BE BEAT!!

MIDNITE BLUE SKY 5spd lsd
HID Lights 6000K
Air Horn
Cockpit Motion sensor alarm
LED windscreen
Magnaflow Quad exhaust model #14267 (muffler)
Foose Chrome rims
Opel tail lights.
Moving LED 3rd Brake light
Blue LED turn signal lights
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Believe it or not arm length may not be a problem. I kind of have to bend my arm a bit funky because it's too long...usually overshoots the edge of the trunk. A little shorter arm might help but really don't think I need to modify the arm just for this. LOL I manage. LOL

I've found you want to do this on flat ground. Uphill is tough because you have to be really light with the flip. Way too easy to flip too hard and have the trunk go all the way up. Downhill and the trunk won't go up as far and try to close faster...but far better than uphill.

So if I come to Kappa to do a demonstration (which, of course, will mean I'll screw it up for sure) will you tape it to post it online for Barry? LOL

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
So if I come to Kappa to do a demonstration (which, of course, will mean I'll screw it up for sure) will you tape it to post it online for Barry? LOL
That could probably be arranged. You could also check out some of our new goodies!

Brian
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecRaceM5 View Post
That could probably be arranged. You could also check out some of our new goodies!

Brian
You have new goodies??

Oh yeah, the article. To summarize. Long term review: Kappa-Kars are not Miatas.
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 PM

We always have new goodies! I actually have enough ideas and suggestions from customers to keep me busy into retierment (which is a LONG ways off for me).
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 02:42 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Believe it or not arm length may not be a problem. I kind of have to bend my arm a bit funky because it's too long...usually overshoots the edge of the trunk. A little shorter arm might help but really don't think I need to modify the arm just for this. LOL I manage. LOL

I've found you want to do this on flat ground. Uphill is tough because you have to be really light with the flip. Way too easy to flip too hard and have the trunk go all the way up. Downhill and the trunk won't go up as far and try to close faster...but far better than uphill.

how long did you have your Sky before you were able to accomplish this...the top feels a little too stiff on mine to be able to just throw it back there and have it sink far enough into the trunk...and the trunk really has to be slammed pretty hard to get it to close properly.

Redline
Black/Black Leather
Manual Transmission
Delivered/Picked up 12/19/06
4200 Shipped 12/5/06
4b00 Bayed 12/4/06
4000 Availavle to ship 12/1/06
3800 nProduced 12/1/06
$1000 deposit 6/26
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinmb View Post
how long did you have your Sky before you were able to accomplish this...the top feels a little too stiff on mine to be able to just throw it back there and have it sink far enough into the trunk...and the trunk really has to be slammed pretty hard to get it to close properly.
Well, you still have to push the top down pretty firmly to get it to seat fully. Then sometimes, as always, you may have to close the trunk twice. However I've found that if you do three firm pushes across the top and push firmly in the center of the trunk over that front bulkhead that you usually will get it on the first try.

I probably had the car for a couple months before I figured this trick out.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 02:53 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
how can you push the top down in the trunk while still seated in the car?... I believe you when you say you're capable of doing this...but aren't you worried that the top won't seat correctly?

Redline
Black/Black Leather
Manual Transmission
Delivered/Picked up 12/19/06
4200 Shipped 12/5/06
4b00 Bayed 12/4/06
4000 Availavle to ship 12/1/06
3800 nProduced 12/1/06
$1000 deposit 6/26
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM

I dont often reply, but read...so this is what i have to say....The reason I bought my redline was because I seen another person pull up in a 2.4 and was stunned how amazing the car looked. The person in the car was cool and confident. Whenever a guy pulls up in a "miata" what is the first thought that come to you??? ....Think about that one. Get my point? Have fun all you masculine miata drivers! Hahahaa
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinmb View Post
how can you push the top down in the trunk while still seated in the car?... I believe you when you say you're capable of doing this...but aren't you worried that the top won't seat correctly?
Maybe that's where my height comes in handy. But no, never had a problem. Also, with mine the part that usually doesn't seat is the rear crossmember of the top. If you just closed the trunk the trunk itself can press down evenly on this member and seat it properly. However, doing it this way will mean you will probably have to close the trunk twice.

The ONLY problem with this meathod is you have to have almost nothing in your trunk and KNOW that the side areas where the buttresses stow is completely clear.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Kappa News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in