Miata NO longer # 1 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Miata NO longer # 1

Good article. I'll bet the Sky will also out sell the miata after a full year also.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1024/MICROSITE
deluke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:23 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
ggccg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ggccg
Quote:
Originally Posted by deluke View Post
I'll bet the Sky will also out sell the miata after a full year also.
Not likely as long as Mazda continues to churn out something on the order of 18,000 Miatas a year while Saturn makes only about half that number of SKYs.

Miata sales are slipping though... down 38.9% this November over last (995 vs. 1629). See http://www.miata.net/news/sales.html
ggccg is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggccg View Post
Not likely as long as Mazda continues to churn out something on the order of 18,000 Miatas a year while Saturn makes only about half that number of SKYs.

Miata sales are slipping though... down 38.9% this November over last (995 vs. 1629). See http://www.miata.net/news/sales.html
Your right. But the should use Kappas vs. Miata I think.
deluke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Way to go GM. It sure shows if you build the car the consumer wants, they will buy it
MBVette is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:23 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MX5 vs. Kappa's

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluke View Post
Good article. I'll bet the Sky will also out sell the miata after a full year also.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...1024/MICROSITE
The MX5 is still the number one worldwide:

MX5 production 2006 ~ 48,000 units (PRHT included)
Kappa production 2006 ~ 35,000 units (Sol, Sky, Opel)

Both manufactures sell/will sell worldwide, so IMO it's not correct to have a look only in one area of the world.

With the Kappa's there was the first US manufactured roadster at the price level of the Mazda; therefore Mazda lost several roadster customers changing to GM. Same in Europe, there are a lot of people which never buy foreign cars.
As Bob Lutz said: the roadster market is limited.....

Mazda could see this developement and they tried to force their sales in other parts of the world.
One reaction could be the new hardtop version which ought to increase sales especially in Europe where retractables are very common. Time will show...

BTW we discussed something similar some days ago in this thread

https://www.skyroadster.com/forums/sh...865#post140865

MX5 long time production and sales charts are included.

Anyway the MX5 is very dependable because the long years of production experience, but the Sol and the Sky are the better looking cars

Last edited by C20LET_50; 12-14-2006 at 06:20 PM.
C20LET_50 is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
marlboromike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 17,159
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
figures don't lie but liers figure...now back to reality...the Miata is a better built car...and hopefully, one day GM can make that claim....
marlboromike is online now  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 10:45 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
...the Miata is a better built car...and hopefully, one day GM can make that claim....
The Miata's of the first years (NA) also had some quality problems.
If GM puts some more energy in solving the quality problems of the Kappa's, they could outrun the MX5 worldwide
C20LET_50 is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:04 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C20LET_50 View Post
The Miata's of the first years (NA) also had some quality problems.
If GM puts some more energy in solving the quality problems of the Kappa's, they could outrun the MX5 worldwide
they will never outrun the Miata worldwide unless they dramatically change the plant. They can not make more than 40k cars per year there.
MBVette is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:18 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBVette View Post
they will never outrun the Miata worldwide unless they dramatically change the plant. They can not make more than 40k cars per year there.
wt2ga is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 11:40 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBVette View Post
they will never outrun the Miata worldwide unless they dramatically change the plant. They can not make more than 40k cars per year there.
The difference is not such big: the average production at the MX5 plant was ~ 44,000 cars per year, but the plant is high flexible, they easily can build 60,000 units.

What I meant is they won't buy the cars if they can't sell. If you look at the last years production there where also years much lower then 40,000 units

2001 38.870
2002 40.754
2003 30.106
2004 24.232
2005 29.950
2006 48.000 (estimated)

The better car will make the race
C20LET_50 is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 12:23 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C20LET_50 View Post
The difference is not such big: the average production at the MX5 plant was ~ 44,000 cars per year, but the plant is high flexible, they easily can build 60,000 units.

What I meant is they won't buy the cars if they can't sell. If you look at the last years production there where also years much lower then 40,000 units

2001 38.870
2002 40.754
2003 30.106
2004 24.232
2005 29.950
2006 48.000 (estimated)

The better car will make the race
Nico:
Your command of English is impressive if you are native to Germany.
We have American born 3rd generation people who can't speak or write as well.
Press one for English.
'60vette is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
marlboromike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 17,159
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Garage
SKIP would be a fine example....

Now if u can understand SKIP...u just passed English 1.1
marlboromike is online now  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:49 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
Skip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere in the bottom of a Gentleman Jack bottle
Posts: 5,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboromike View Post
SKIP would be a fine example....

Now if u can understand SKIP...u just passed English 1.1
Mr. Mike be nice to Skip. It is Christmas time ...Skip..

The Official Resident Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
"smart azz redneck that loves to drink that Jack and chase women".......My kind of guy.
Skip is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:58 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by '60vette View Post
Nico:
Your command of English is impressive if you are native to Germany.
We have American born 3rd generation people who can't speak or write as well.
Press one for English.
Oh... thanks.
But it's with a little help of a good german online dictionary:

http://dict.leo.org/

You can use it in both directions. The only problem is it doesn't speak southern so I have to try to imagine which word the sound could mean. Sometimes it worked out - sometimes not
C20LET_50 is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 02:04 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member
 
Skip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere in the bottom of a Gentleman Jack bottle
Posts: 5,953
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C20LET_50 View Post
Oh... thanks.
But it's with a little help of a good german online dictionary:

http://dict.leo.org/

You can use it in both directions. The only problem is it doesn't speak southern so I have to try to imagine which word the sound could mean. Sometimes it worked out - sometimes not
Nico, I speak southern redneck real well and I will interpret it if you want..Skip..And clear is moonshine...Hey Nico, Merry Christmas to you ....

The Official Resident Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
"smart azz redneck that loves to drink that Jack and chase women".......My kind of guy.
Skip is offline  
Reply

  Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Kappa News

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome