User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmicro_Redline View Post
I would rather have pinched fingers and drive a SKY, than drive in that over rated, out dated, under powered, under designed, tiny, nerdy, not sexy, Japanese, rice burning, piece of SH!T.

Ok, I feel better now!

I wouldn't pee on a miata if it were on fire and holding $1,000,000 in the trunk!

Nevermind the fact that you have to try to pinch your fingers unless you are real clumsy.

Landscape
REDLINE #131984
Forest Green / Tan
N tires
Brake light pulse
V2 WR
Seat and Lumbar Mod
Polished SS IC pipes
Color match eng. cover
VDI Doors
Solo-Mach
Lil Chromies, Chrome Domes, Billet Grill
Dashhawk
Green Neon Underbody
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
I find it somewhat interesting when a reviewer (for anything, it doesn't have to be cars...it could be fashion, appliances...global warming....anything) is covering a specific item and then feels compelled to inject a negative about a rival, and then moves along with the original discussion.

Nine time out of ten the negative comment is rooted in a subconcious inferiority. When a rival is clearly superior in most aspects, human nature does two things: 1) The rival is ever in thought and mind; 2) One gushes over finding a bad in the rival to contrast with the good in one's love.

[Aside: Women are exceptionally good (or, perhaps a more sinister adjective fits better) at ripping apart other women's looks. You can have a drop dead gorgeous model...and nine out of ten women will zero in on any fault they can find. Yes, you do. Don't deny it. And if you don't say it....by george you think it. And if the woman is drop dead perfect, and you can't find anythign wrong...perfect bod...perfect outfit....perfect style....then you play your Ace card....."slut". As for Men...we zero in on..oops..sorry...geez, I got off topic..in my own post...and now I'm in trouble...back on topic]

Note this reveiw is NOT a comparison of the MX-5 vs SKY. It is a review of the MX-5 top. Yet, the reviewer is compelled to bring up the SKY's supposedly inferior top in comparison? This tells us two things. 1) The SKY was in thought and mind when the reviewer wrote the article; 2) The adjectives gush with enthusiasm in highlighting the bad vs good.

An objective assessment of the MX-5 top? Maybe. But I'll go for the subconcious inferiority complex motivational need to jab a superior rival so it makes one feel not so inferior everywhere else. Hell, why not just drop the top bit and tell us what you really think of the SKY....just say it..cause we know you think it..the SKY....is....a....slut.

I feel so dirty now...and love it.
kindof a highjack, but i need it be known that, even though ik have not said it before, i do love this woman's writing and her wittisism and sarcasm, you are always fun to read.

on the topic, sure maybe a hard top[ retractible would be fun, but our THREE step soft top is fine and our price for the BETTER car is GREAT! i love it when non-americans like to bash our little cars.

John and Stacey Precour
First Yellow in Texas
VIN # 2158
Black interior all options except XM
Red Calipers
Painted to match Engine Cover with Pearl
Red Underbody Neon Lights
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstyellowintex View Post
i do love this woman's writing and her wittisism and sarcasm, you are always fun to read.
Gender confusion brought on by avatar identification, methinks.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorennerol View Post
Gender confusion brought on by avatar identification, methinks.
I'm hopeless.

2008 Redline Auto
Born 7/20/07
Snagged 8/31/07
Released 8/8/15
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
I'm hopeless.
Not entirely: Due to your mannish sense of humor and sarcastic wit you have the potential to be very popular...as a woman.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 08:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Tinley Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeardsley View Post
The problem is that reviewers typically only spend a weekend with the car (if they're lucky).

In that time, they only put the top up/down a couple of times...and face it...the Sky top IS a bit fussy, until you get the hang of it.

The reviewers never get past their first few awkward attempts at handling the top, so they assume that it will always be that difficult.
Huh It took me 1/2 way through the first time... That took me 30 seconds...

Rick Tinley Park

Delivered June 15, 2006
VIN - 3099
Sunburst Yellow
Painted Calipers
Brushed aluminum Interior panels
GM CAI
Yellow Engine cover and Fuse box
Custom Lighted Door Sills (WR)
Name - Sunni1
IL License # - YLO SKY 1
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:41 PM

This is just part of what car reviewers do. When they compare two cars, they tend to focus on what is different. The top operation between the two is different, and if operated back to back, very glaring. On the miata side, you unlatch it, toss it over your shoulder, and your done. Reverse is about the same. With the Sky, you unlatch the buttresses and header, open trunk, drop in, close trunk, and putting it up requires you to walk around the car to latch down the buttresses (gasp!).

Granted, the Sky top is nothing that any reasonable person couldn't live with and not give a second thought to when buying the car. To a reviewer, however, who is paid to point out differences (nitpick differences) between two roadsters, it just stands out... so it gets mentioned.

Anyone who makes the top on the Sky the make-it or break-it feature of the car, really didn't want the Sky anyway.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 PM

It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnuld View Post
Metro - MX-5 fun for all seasons

Pinched Fingers? Geez I mustve been born with 12 cause I still have all ten.
20 seconds to put toop down and put up... and hours in between of amazing Sky styling and driving. Even if ours is slightly more effort... its a fair trade off... and this issue gets way too much media attention

the Saturn Sky and its Pontiac Solstice corporate cousin still have the most frustrating convertible storage system, a 10-step program of frayed nerves, pinched fingers and silent curses.
I have a friend who just bought an MX5 and so I checked it out. In general it is a pretty nice car with a different emphasis than the Sky. If you want a slower and not as good handling of a vehicle, but want a few more creature comforts, the MX5 is okay (and the top is pretty cool). Saying that, having the pure performance and looks of the Sky RL is really what it is all about to me.

Magnetic Black 370Z
Sport/Touring/Nav 6mt
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone who complains about the Sky Top can come over and use a stock JEEP softop
They will never complain about the sky top again

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Someone was asking on another thread last week whether we thought the Sky was more for women. After having pulled up alongside a Miata, there is no doubt which looks like the girlie car. Reviewers like a lot of first time viewers are having a difficult time believing Saturn can make such an attractive and fun to drive Sports car. Mazda has its well deserved Zoom Zoom image which carries over to the Miata. The Sky kinda broke the mold for what most Amercians expect from GM's Saturn division. Imagine the difference in reception if it had been introduced by GM as Corvette's little brother or Cadillac' entry into the affordable sports car market.

IRISHSKY5
FOREST GREEN REDLINE WITH TAN TOP
ETCHED WINDRESTRICTOR v2
CHROME AND MORE CHROME
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elff View Post
Anyone who complains about the Sky Top can come over and use a stock JEEP softop
They will never complain about the sky top again

LOL...I traded in my Wrangler X for my Sky Redline. This top's an automatic compared to my old soft top.

2008 Red/Red/Redline "Wolfpack Edition"
Manual, Single CD, Monsoon, Spoiler
Deposit Placed 04/19/08
Built 05/13/08
Delivered by Jill & Saturn of Cary, 06/04/08
2010 Tail of the Dragon...GOLFBALLS!!!
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 10:10 AM

like i said in another post, i've been looking around for a new daily driver, that suits my needs.

has to have some style.
has to be fun to drive anywhere.
and has to have plenty of nifty stuff i can add on to it.

i don't mind the sky haviong a crappy top, the only thing i have problems with is the stupid trunk, i refuse to buy a 94' blazer to go to the grocery store.

but other than that, each time i have driven the sky, it's been fun.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 AM

oh and the reason why the miata is so popular is because it does all the little things right, and a mustang, ha please. if i wanted a pony car i'd go buy a evo for around the same amount as a gt mustang, and feel much better about myself.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzhebub View Post
oh and the reason why the miata is so popular is because it does all the little things right, and a mustang, ha please. if i wanted a pony car i'd go buy a evo for around the same amount as a gt mustang, and feel much better about myself.
I somewhat take issue with that comment. There are plenty of complaints out there about the miata. just google a few up.

the Sky has it beat in body styling, the 2.4 Sky has more power than the 2.0 miata and even by japanese standards the sky handles better than the miata. Trunk space is about the same. internally the miata is much smaller than the Sky because the miata is narrower. Which I guess is okay if you want to leanover and give your homeboy a kiss on the cheek

Most of the new mustangs out there are pretty much balless. Just like most of the early 65 mustangs
I just don't want to own any thing that is being turned out in a million copys a year.

2007 Polar white/tan Sky 2.4,Man, 6 disk Monsoon,HD radio, semiauto antenna,PDA & 500Gb hardrive for stored tunes,Eibach stabilizers, B&G shocks and springs,DDM backbone & Pro-Beam, JPM Console & Armrest pads,Fujita dual intake,elec fuel door.

Last edited by gadget; 08-01-2008 at 08:39 PM.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 PM

i can also get a miata for a base of something like, 19,000 or some crap like that. then slap a body kit on it and hey it looks pretty nice.

and for 19,000 clams you can't really even compete with the sky.
and again man, the trunk space, i drove one a few days ago, i loved the drive, it drove as well as my 350z, and did exactly what i wanted it to do. so again, no complaints, but i put the top down and said "dood, wheres my trunk?"

i love the way the ride looks, handles and feels.
the only few reasons i haven't bought one yet are, that stupid trunk crap, and the cockpit just didn't seem all that comfy.

i'm going to hold out, see if i can rent one, drive it for about a week, and really see if all that matters.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Kappa News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in