User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
First 2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
91-95 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Hi everybody. I really like the new Saturn Sky, hence why I joined this forum. I own a 1993 Toyota MR2 turbo and would love to run against a turbo sky once they're released. I think I'd get my ass kicked (driver vs driver though), but the 2.0L ecotec turbo sounds very promising. It should be atleast a high 13 sec. 1/4 mile car.

If I had the money, the sky turbo would definitely be on the top of my list for a car that I'd purchase.

I'd think that the MR2 could probably outhandle a sky in the corners but the sky would pull away on the straights. The cars seem pretty equal and I'd love to see a comparison between the two. But you have to remember that the MR2 is a decade behind in technology.

I'd love to see these two-seater sportcars go at it. Although I know that the sky turbo would win as an end result, I still would like to see how my car stacks up against a 10 year newer car with all the bells and whistles.

Cheers.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

tape it if you do
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 07:03 PM
JLB
First 2000 Sr. Member

I promise you I'll tape the first Redline I race. I'll have to mount my camera backwards, so you'll get some good shots of the car, and the shocked driver.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 12:16 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

The MR2 requires more skill to drive than a front engine car. The minute you hit the apex you have to adjust for the weight of the rear end coming around, otherwise you spin. I remember everyone warning me about the snap oversteer on the MR2, but I was flying through an autocross, hit a sharp left hander sloping down, I flew off the track and spun 3 times, the Viper behind me had to start over.

Those damn cars are great handling machines until you are 9/10's at the limit then they can be a handful.

I drove a Solstice on the track and it was a breeze to whip around the track, I never once was worried about the rear end coming around.

Hey this pic looks identical to my car, except the dork in the front seat LOL:

Send me a Private Message to rate/view your Saturn Dealer on the USA Map.

NO MORE BAD DEALERS TO RATE. Saturn is dead, R.I.P.

Last edited by TOY4TWO; 08-18-2006 at 12:22 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-18-2006, 12:30 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337
Hi everybody. I really like the new Saturn Sky, hence why I joined this forum. I own a 1993 Toyota MR2 turbo and would love to run against a turbo sky once they're released. I think I'd get my ass kicked (driver vs driver though), but the 2.0L ecotec turbo sounds very promising. It should be atleast a high 13 sec. 1/4 mile car.

If I had the money, the sky turbo would definitely be on the top of my list for a car that I'd purchase.

I'd think that the MR2 could probably outhandle a sky in the corners but the sky would pull away on the straights. The cars seem pretty equal and I'd love to see a comparison between the two. But you have to remember that the MR2 is a decade behind in technology.

I'd love to see these two-seater sportcars go at it. Although I know that the sky turbo would win as an end result, I still would like to see how my car stacks up against a 10 year newer car with all the bells and whistles.

Cheers.
I just sold my 1993 non-turbo MR2, when I got my SKY.
Hate to say it, but I think the MR2 does handle curves and turns better.
Something about those big wide rear tires makes it really stick to the road.
SKY steering seems to me more touchy and you get more oversteer.

TX-Sky
Forest Green/Tan top/Tan & Black leather interior
5sp, spoiler, CAI, splash guards
Cast Chrome wheels, VIN - 2781
License Plate: TX-SKY
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 03:33 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I think you could tweak the alignment of the Sky to get the response you are looking for to change the twitchiness. I thought the eletronic power steering in the MR2 was a little more responsive than the Solstice I drove. Of course a mid-engine car is going to handle better, but Toyota really blew the MR2 Spyder, so the only legitimate turbo roadster out right now is the Sky RedLine.

Send me a Private Message to rate/view your Saturn Dealer on the USA Map.

NO MORE BAD DEALERS TO RATE. Saturn is dead, R.I.P.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mycah Leonhart Send a message via MSN to Mycah Leonhart Send a message via Yahoo to Mycah Leonhart
To me Base Skys feel JUST like my Stock S13.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to JerseyRedLine
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOY4TWO View Post
I think you could tweak the alignment of the Sky to get the response you are looking for to change the twitchiness. I thought the eletronic power steering in the MR2 was a little more responsive than the Solstice I drove. Of course a mid-engine car is going to handle better, but Toyota really blew the MR2 Spyder, so the only legitimate turbo roadster out right now is the Sky RedLine.
yeah the mr2 spyder is a waste of cash. But its predecessor Mr2 turbo is a heck of a little car! How are those miatas?? the S2k is a decent roadster... but after all.. im 6 4 220.. the Sky is the only one that i can fit in.. ... Plus its turbo... and a head turner... cant go wrong with that!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:21 AM

If you had any mods and good tuning on your mr2, it would walk all over the sky. I ran 11.9 @ 122mph in my mr2. I like the my sky though. Its newer and much more refined as a drivers car. The 2.4 ecotec will make some serious power under boost also (why I went with the 2.4 rather than the 2.0 turbo).

Last edited by RPIpower; 12-01-2006 at 12:29 AM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:35 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Hey look that thar is an honest ta goodness rice rocket..Gee wiz gorsh that thar thing oughta fly down tha road huh....Skip...Resident redneck and whatnot...

The Official Resident Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
"smart azz redneck that loves to drink that Jack and chase women".......My kind of guy.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM

i had a 1991 Turbo JDM MR2. had 205/45/16s all around. in the twisties it handled amazing, but i almost died a million times due to oversteer and understeer. even spun on the highway once

to me the Sky redline handles better. or maybe ive just become a better driver. but i like the 50/50 weight dist. of the sky better than the 43/57 of the mr2

my oldest brother still has his 1990 MR2 turbo. with a TD06, meth, cams, ect. 350hp at the wheels. its insane

and my second older brother has a 1989 MR2 supercharged. all it has is upped boost and CHOPPED springs. handles like a go kart and is 0-60 in probably around 6 seconds, if not quicker

2008 Redline: GMPP tune, Dejon CAI, RPi turbo-back exhaust, DDM backbone, HIDs. FOR SALE $24,900 IN CANADA PM ME FOR DETAILS
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to compdoc777 Send a message via Yahoo to compdoc777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Engelsmeier View Post
i had a 1991 Turbo JDM MR2. had 205/45/16s all around. in the twisties it handled amazing, but i almost died a million times due to oversteer and understeer. even spun on the highway once
Yep, I had the 1985 MR2 and the 2-1991 Turbos Green, and Yellow. One had the electric steering or EPS with steering control or whatever it was. It made the steering heavier as the car got faster and if you jerked the wheel at highspeed it made it impossible to oversteer. I used that feature a few times right before I almosted impacted the back end of a rig.

They are nice cars, They are slow stock even with a boost controller they say 6.0 0-60, but I never got better than 7.0 in both my MR2 Turbos. They were quick, but in the turns they were tail happy and you could loose control easily. Check out my website to see what a large bots dot did to me on the freeway when changing lanes in my yellow MR2.

Tough cars though. I launched my green one through a huge water puddle and hydro planed over an median with a ramp looking mound at 75 mph launching me over two lanes of traffic in the opposite direction and into a field. The car backed right out and we drove back to my house with the steering more like a boat than a car. All the wheels HRE's at $600 a piece pied good thing they were three piece. Had to replace the struts and get an alignment and one fog light.

The 1985 MR2 ran over a 18 wheeler wheel and tire at 75 Mph on the freeway ramped the wheel got some air landed perfect like nothing happened. Straightened the front cowl and replaced a plastic grate it was like nothing ever happened.

1991 MR2 Yellow Turbo hit the concrete wall of the freeway dead on after a bots dots encounter in the rain changing lanes. The car hit the wall at 55 mph and proceded to do two more hits on the front after that. I only paid $4500 for the car in 1996 and the insurance would not total the car. They paid 7K to repair it so it is probably still driving around to this day. You can see pics of that wreck on my website.

07 SKY Redline Silver
  • Red/Black Leather
  • JPM Custom: Dash, Side panels, Shift boot, Center console Red leather
  • Dejon IC pipes
  • Hahn IC
  • 3" Magnaflow Quad Exhaust
  • DDM BBK (RED)

Last edited by compdoc777; 01-25-2010 at 07:34 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:51 PM

That's my mr2. Made 480 whp. It would kill my sky in a straight line. Turns, not so much. All upgrades including cams, meth, gt3082, hydra nemesis, all
internals, huge trunk mount intercooler. Lots more. Lol

peace out.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
GT!

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Thread revival, lol.

-GT
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM

Since It's been revived I also owned a 1991 Toyota MR2 GT, I sold it last summer in the effort to buy a Sky Redline.

It's a great looking car, great interior, however I just didn't enjoy the feeling and never felt the power but it sure did draw people's attention. I got many positive coments on the car every time I took her out.

07 Sunburst Yellow Sky RedLine
AKA - Alex

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > In the News > Roadster/Small RWD Market Competition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in