3rd party photo sharing websites....ie photobucket - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 44thSKY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
3rd party photo sharing websites....ie photobucket

For years I have used photobucket.com to share pics on forums. Well, late last month they decided to do away with free 3rd party sharing. It's now $400/yr to be able to share photos on forums. Obviously a move that will kill photobucket! Is there a way that admin can add a feature to where we can upload photos directly? All of my posts that used pics are now useless as all the pics are gone.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
You do have that ability but I think it is only for premium members...I'm not sure as I have always had a premium membership. When you make a post, you should be able to attach a file. If you look below the quick reply box at the end of the thread, there should be a box titled "Drag and Drop File Upload" with a content box that says "Drag Files Here to Attach!". If you don't see that, then you don't have the option.

That sucks about Photobucket but I wonder if there are other free web photo hosting sites that will do the same thing? I have always used the upload feature or my private web server for attaching pictures.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
I use the attachment feature here, that way the pic will always be with the post.

But for outside sharing Tiny pic still works.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
If we are realistic with the developing process of the internet, we know as time passes all those early developments that were free will eventually become charged for services (example; how long will craigslist be free? How do they justify being free? I don't know).

I used Dropbox for much more than a year with lots of benefits added as we went along. Eventually, I paid the $99/year for 1 terabyte after I had adopted their site for just tons of organized photos. They made sure I was well along in my commitment before they sent the first bill, and I did know going in that charges were going to be in the offing. I'm happy, it is just a sign of the times.

However, I do know who is in the crosshairs ..... cable TV! Growing very tired of nothing of my interest and over 30% ads. A hundred a year? Ya, right!.... over a hundred a month.
marlboromike likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post

However, I do know who is in the crosshairs ..... cable TV! Growing very tired of nothing of my interest and over 30% ads. A hundred a year? Ya, right!.... over a hundred a month.
Cable TV, isn't that like so 90's.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
If we are realistic with the developing process of the internet, we know as time passes all those early developments that were free will eventually become charged for services (example; how long will craigslist be free? How do they justify being free? I don't know).

I used Dropbox for much more than a year with lots of benefits added as we went along. Eventually, I paid the $99/year for 1 terabyte after I had adopted their site for just tons of organized photos. They made sure I was well along in my commitment before they sent the first bill, and I did know going in that charges were going to be in the offing. I'm happy, it is just a sign of the times.

So you knew about having to pay (eventually) with dropbox, but you had no Idea the cable companies would bend you over? There's an easy way to not have to pay for cable--cancel your subscription.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
Cable TV, isn't that like so 90's.
That's right! The way of the millennium are illegal downloads and streaming, I've been doing it for years!

Bert
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboborino View Post
So you knew about having to pay (eventually) with dropbox, but you had no Idea the cable companies would bend you over? There's an easy way to not have to pay for cable--cancel your subscription.

That's right! The way of the millennium are illegal downloads and streaming, I've been doing it for years!

Bert
With Sling and now the Playstation Vue Apps no need for cable or illegal downloads.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by boboborino View Post
Bert
Bert, I know you are correct on the streaming/millennial's, etc. are doing now days. I've looked at that several times and again just the last week. It has to do with habits. We watch live TV sports and current happenings cable news. Streaming is not current news, but days old interviews, AND movies. It's been years since we watched a movie or went to the theater. Streaming works great, but not our flavor.

AND, sorry about hi-jacking this thread about photo-hosting. Let's get back to the OP, please.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
I'm hosed by where I live. Only high speed internet access in my area is through the cable company. No Vios, satellite, or other decent option in the area I live in.

And the cost for Internet access alone is about the same as we pay for basic cable. Really need to rework that though.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Bert, I know you are correct on the streaming/millennial's, etc. are doing now days. I've looked at that several times and again just the last week. It has to do with habits. We watch live TV sports and current happenings cable news. Streaming is not current news, but days old interviews, AND movies
Thats not true. with Sling or Playstation VUE you can watch all the cable channels, CNN, ESPN, HBO, History, HGTV, Brightbart etc.. You just get to pay for what you want. Sling starts at $20 a month, and includes ESPN, CNN etc.. lots of the big Cable networks.

https://www.sling.com

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Last edited by davhamm; 07-14-2017 at 10:27 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
For years I have used photobucket.com to share pics on forums. Well, late last month they decided to do away with free 3rd party sharing. It's now $400/yr to be able to share photos on forums. Obviously a move that will kill photobucket! Is there a way that admin can add a feature to where we can upload photos directly? All of my posts that used pics are now useless as all the pics are gone.
If you use your "smart" phone for your pics, email it to yourself and choose the "small" option. That will keep it in the limits of a direct photo upload on the forum, and it will be displayed as a thumbnail.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in