8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Checking in after Hurricane Harvey

About 170 miles WNW of Houston in central Texas experienced only minor wind damage, about 8" of rain, and occasional 4-6hr power outages. Know that we have members along the Texas Gulf Coast. Praying that they are all A-OK and survived this monster storm. A lot homes and businesses between Corpus Christi and Port Lavaca were totally destroyed. Hopefully folks also safely evacuated flooded areas in and around Houston and moved their Skys & Solstices to higher ground.
HORNET1 likes this.
post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
About 170 miles WNW of Houston in central Texas experienced only minor wind damage, about 8" of rain, and occasional 4-6hr power outages. Know that we have members along the Texas Gulf Coast. Praying that they are all A-OK and survived this monster storm. A lot homes and businesses between Corpus Christi and Port Lavaca were totally destroyed. Hopefully folks also safely evacuated flooded areas in and around Houston and moved their Skys & Solstices to higher ground.

God Bless all of you over there in Texas.
We live on the other side of the Gulf.
So far, we've been spared.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
Glad to hear you are okay old friend.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
We are still evacuated and I just got an email from the Mayor that we are not welcome back for two weeks......not sure if that is just me or everyone...LOL

Reports are that our house and two of our rentals are ok. But we lost three properties that will have to be bull dosed. May have some insurance on two of them but the other was just purchased and had no insurance. Lest some think I am rich and rentals are not important. They are my living, like loosing my job, no income. And two families are homeless.

But, the Sky seems to be safe as no one who has been to the house has mentioned it and it is so popular around the town that if a tree was on it, they would have commented....LOL

Eye wall passed 9 miles north of our house.

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
thanks Robo and Hornet

BlueRL, am hoping that your Sky didn't get washed away and locals thought you drove it out. Good luck!

NASA Houston is not totally underwater; but space station Mission Control is running an on-premises skeleton crew.

----------------->Their current unofficial mission logo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	044.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	98953   Click image for larger version

Name:	wnw14b.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	98961  

Last edited by SkyVue2; 01-02-2018 at 12:08 PM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:18 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Garage
Think about this...everyone who drives a car and owns a home.....your insurance premiums are about to go up...and if you rent, that will certainly rise. I think ahead.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
BlueRL, am hoping that your Sky didn't get washed away and locals thought you drove it out. Good luck!.
The car is 35 feet above sea level. The surge only reached 8 feet. So its safe. No amount of RAIN can flood it as the house is on the beach and sea level would have to rise 35 feet worldwide before the drainage would "fail". With that San Diego,SF, NY and several other cities worldwide would be in trouble.....LOL

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Garage
Anything and everything is possible....but not probable.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Blue, couldn't help thinking of you all this while! I knew you lived somewhere along the beach, and is really good that you took the time to let us know you are OK. I'm betting it could be an exercise for you just to be able to get on the forum. Stay safe and thanks for letting us know. 44th
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:00 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
My son and daughter-in-law in Houston are high and dry, as is his business. My sister-in-law and her husband had minor flooding in a couple of rooms and the garage, the three cars are most likely water damaged enough to be totaled. My aunt and uncle are high and dry though totally surrounded by water, and a bunch of cousins are also dry. Overall, the family in Houston are pretty lucky this time around.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Praying for all in Texas. Government will have to step up and provide necessary relief.
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRL View Post
We are still evacuated and I just got an email from the Mayor that we are not welcome back for two weeks......not sure if that is just me or everyone...LOL

Reports are that our house and two of our rentals are ok. But we lost three properties that will have to be bull dosed. May have some insurance on two of them but the other was just purchased and had no insurance. Lest some think I am rich and rentals are not important. They are my living, like loosing my job, no income. And two families are homeless.

But, the Sky seems to be safe as no one who has been to the house has mentioned it and it is so popular around the town that if a tree was on it, they would have commented....LOL

Eye wall passed 9 miles north of our house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRL View Post
The car is 35 feet above sea level. The surge only reached 8 feet. So its safe. No amount of RAIN can flood it as the house is on the beach and sea level would have to rise 35 feet worldwide before the drainage would "fail". With that San Diego,SF, NY and several other cities worldwide would be in trouble.....LOL
I'm sorry to hear about your losses Blue. As for your beach property, couldn't a storm surge rise the local sea level enough to flood that house? I mean, sure 35 feet is fairly high when we're talking tides and standard water levels but I always though the local surf can rise a lot more than that in the presence of a storm like this. Excuse my ignorance of the subject...we don't get a lot of big storms like this in CA. We have a normal rain and it's "Storm Watch 2017" on every news channel. LOL I just hope the damage you're looking at now is all you have to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
My son and daughter-in-law in Houston are high and dry, as is his business. My sister-in-law and her husband had minor flooding in a couple of rooms and the garage, the three cars are most likely water damaged enough to be totaled. My aunt and uncle are high and dry though totally surrounded by water, and a bunch of cousins are also dry. Overall, the family in Houston are pretty lucky this time around.

Damn DaveOC, sorry to hear about your sister-in-law and her cars. That sucks. Glad to hear most of the family is relatively unaffected by all this. Hope they all stay safe.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 11:54 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your losses Blue. As for your beach property, couldn't a storm surge rise the local sea level enough to flood that house? I mean, sure 35 feet is fairly high when we're talking tides and standard water levels but I always though the local surf can rise a lot more than that in the presence of a storm like this. Excuse my ignorance of the subject...we don't get a lot of big storms like this in CA. We have a normal rain and it's "Storm Watch 2017" on every news channel. LOL I just hope the damage you're looking at now is all you have to deal with.
Well, the highest storm surge measured in all of history, world wide, was the Katrina storm surge of 28' ASL.

Our house floor is 44' and the driveway/Garage is 35' so seems safe. Our house is on the highest point "on a salt washed bluff" on the Gulf Coast from Key West to Mexico. So until a new historical high is recorded its pretty safe.

But new historical highs are always being recorded.....LOL

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:55 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
Damn DaveOC, sorry to hear about your sister-in-law and her cars. That sucks. Glad to hear most of the family is relatively unaffected by all this. Hope they all stay safe.
This isn't the first time the house has had flood damage. They are used to it. The two cars outside had water up to the top of the wheels, both late-model cars, both insured, will be replaced. The car in the garage had water up to the axles, but it is an older Jaguar XJ6. Don't know whether they plan to "restore" it again.

My son's house had water running into a 2nd floor bathroom ceiling, from a 3rd floor balcony which was built incorrectly. He pulled off the ceiling to try and get the water flow redirected away from the walls, and discovered damage in the ceiling from years of little leaks. It was supposed to have been repaired before he bought the house 2-3 years ago. With respect to the rest of Houston, this is minor, minor damage. We'll see what the insurance situation will be, but it will be months before it gets addressed. His restaurant had no damage, never lost power, and he is reopening tonight, albeit with a very limited menu because none of his vendors/suppliers are back up and running yet. Fresh produce is "somewhat limited" in the Houston environs. UPDATE: The big boss just told Mike and his boss to work on putting on a feed for 500 or so first responders, so who knows what plans are to reopen "his" restaurant.

If anyone want to read about how much water landed on the area, follow this link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.78bac468ecb2 (This was written after only 30 inches of rain, the next couple of days dumped another 20 inches. It's worth the read if only one of the descriptions helps you visualize how much water this storm dumped on Houston.

Dave -
2006 Solstice NA #000741

Last edited by DaveOC; 08-30-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: added info
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, looks like I may be taking in a "refugee" family for a day or two.

A very good friend of mine has had his house flooded, and his family will likely be staying with us for a bit. Don't know the details yet as his situation is still in flux, but at least he and his family (including the pets) were able to escape any serious harm. Though he says his house has about 6 feet of water in it.

2008 Red/Red/Redline
Ordered 06/08/07
Built 07/20/07
Delivered 08/07/07
Destroyed 03/02/17
Replaced 03/19/17

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in