Checking in after Hurricane Harvey - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET1 View Post
I'm not able to crack skulls as I once could, but I take my friend Walther with me everywhere I go these days and
he's just as fit as ever.
You must be younger than me. I am so puny I have to have the twins Mr Smith and Mr Wesson with me. They are half my age at 40.
HORNET1 likes this.

Jim Isbell....2008 Sky Redline

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees" Gen Emiliano Zapata
post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:52 AM

Garage
Email from CoCommishioner that he checked my house and Electric is up but I knew that because the burglar alarm is up. Sewer pumps not yet up but maybe today as well as water after they fix a leak.

BUT still no gasoline to be had and medical is only a military style field hospital for emergencies only, helicopter evacuation for serious cases. The lack of gasoline could last for weeks. Even here 200 miles north in Austin gasoline is in short supply

Both Martha and I are sick (lungs, she just got out after 5 days in the hospital) so we wont be going back home just yet. No reason to risk a helicopter ride (those things are dangerous) Sure would be happier to get home though.

That burglar alarm is a neat device to have, reporting the electric is on and battery operation is terminated, and by implication, since it reports by cell phone and email,that the internet and cell phone services are working. With the camera I can see who is there. Now I only need autonomous gun that I can sight using the camera. Thats the best $24 a moth I spend.

post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Blue, your system sounds very good. We use something similar to monitor winter temps and heating in our summer place that is 3 hours away in the mountains.

We retain the hot water heat system all year around (family often visits in winter to ski at a 11K peak just 35 miles away). Circumstances require keeping the system running year around (and is easier and cheaper that way); however, providing power stays on, our internet stays up. With my D-Link camera's operation, the camera takes a photo each morning of my thermometer setup and emails the photo to me. (See below for a photo I just snapped of the camera setup.) This emailed photo gives me a daily reference of the condo temp, thus if a problem is detected, the service company can be called.

My weather guage has rainfall across the top (7.99" season rain total), then time of day, outside temp, date, and inside temp. (this photo is .bmp, thus may not be compatible here)

In some five years we have yet to call the service company. Our elevation is 7300 feet, so temps can drop into the single digits and can stay for several days. This arrangement is much more reliable versus expecting a 'body' to check daily or even less frequent. Our internet costs $25/mo, so somewhat like an alarm cost. The D-Link cameras are less than $50 one-time. We use several cameras, including one that tells us how much snow is on the ground.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp snapshot-10.bmp (1.17 MB, 27 views)
post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 01:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
Blue, your system sounds very good. We use something similar to monitor winter temps and heating in our summer place that is 3 hours away in the mount
Ours has the ability to measure the temp in the house directly and set the thermostat remotely. The system has various levels of monitoring from $14 to $24 a month. I get the top($24 a month) because it allows me to set the alarm,modify its settings, set thermostat etc from my computer or smart phone. Cheap enough at only a one time charge of $250 for the system and it can be used without the monitoring if you need to cut costs.

I have recently wondered if it was worth it or not,but after Harvey I am keeping it.

post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Taz

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I read a report this morning that it is estimated that over 500,000 cars will be destroyed due to flood damage in the Houston area.
I'd be more concerned with a flood (no pun intended) of cars hitting the market as used cars that were or should have been salvaged due to high water damage. We seen it occur after Katrina hit the south and Sandy up north.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I'd be more concerned with a flood (no pun intended) of cars hitting the market as used cars that were or should have been salvaged due to high water damage. We seen it occur after Katrina hit the south and Sandy up north.
Was thinking the same thing.

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRL View Post
Email from CoCommishioner that he checked my house and electric is up but I knew that because the burglar alarm is up.
Glad to hear that things are A-OK at the home front.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyVue2 View Post
Glad to hear that things are A-OK at the home front.
Yes,but I wish I could go back to see it with my own eyes.

post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 06:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44thSKY View Post
however, providing power stays on, our internet stays up. With my D-Link camera's operation, the camera takes a photo each morning of my thermometer setup and emails the photo to me. (See below for a photo I just snapped of the camera setup.) This emailed photo gives me a daily reference of the condo temp, thus if a problem is detected, the service company can be called.
Educate me. What is D Link and how does it work?

post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

D-Link is a Wi-Fi home security cam brand name
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to 44thSKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRL View Post
Educate me. What is D Link and how does it work?
Jim, let me see if I can highlight how D-Link works:
1) mydlink.com; you can access your live camera feed from any Internet-connected computer or mobile device, tablet, or smartphone anytime, from the free mydlink.com web page or mobile app.
2) You are all set to see live video feeds or capture pictures.
3) Getting started: a)Connect the camera to your existing Wi-Fi network. b)Run the short installation wizard on your PC. c)Log into mydlink.com to see and hear what's going on in your home in real time - it's that simple!
4) Camera example: DCS-936L HD Wi-Fi Camera
The DCS-936L HD Wi-Fi Camera boasts a wide angle lens that easily captures your entire room, wall-to-wall, in high-quality 720p. Its rotatable head makes ceiling installations easy, and the built-in night vision, motion and sound detection, and a handy mobile app empower you with knowing exactly what is happening, day or night. (haven't found night vision to be good) Lots and lots of camera choices are available. I use older DCS-930L cameras available on eBay for some $30. We have five cameras in our summer home, all accessible all winter long and from anywhere, anytime.

Your existing home (or location) WiFi is the only recurring expense. D-Link sells a multitude of cameras to fit your application needs. Used cameras from eBay can be a bargain. Picture quality is amazing. Click on the photo below I just took of our driveway for an example of photo quality.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp snapshot-11.bmp (1.17 MB, 21 views)

Last edited by 44thSKY; 09-01-2017 at 07:53 PM.
post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 09:13 PM

Garage
Thanks I will have to check this out. I need a water proof camera that is steerable

post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Jim, good to see that you guys got out and are ok. if you need me to snap some pictures of your place, let me know.

The wife and I ran down to Harlingen for Harvey, we were one of the lucky ones with just minimal damage to the shingles. we came back Saturday after our wifi enabled thermostat came back on-line told me we had power.

Gas isn't hard to find ... as of yet, in Corpus. I think fuel was redirected to this area for all of the first responders and now is being shifted towards Houston.
I work for HEB Grocery, we had the Ingleside store partially restocked and open by Tuesday. I was told four open top semi trailers of spoiled product was hauled out of this small store. Aransas Pass and Rockport took a little longer to open.

this is a good company to work for. the Butt family donates millions each year and ensures the company continues to care about the community. We've been giving away food, water and ice to people in the hard hit areas. as well as the Disaster Relief Unit that was created after Rita if I remember correctly.
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/20...-relief-convoy

the DRU first went to Victoria, then came down to Rockport and now should be in Houston helping all of the victims there.
Rusty Boltz likes this.

Tony
post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 05:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Road View Post
Jim, good to see that you guys got out and are ok. if you need me to snap some pictures of your place, let me know.

The wife and I ran down to Harlingen for Harvey, we were one of the lucky ones with just minimal damage to the shingles. we came back Saturday after our wifi enabled thermostat came back on-line told me we had power.

Gas isn't hard to find ... as of yet, in Corpus. I think fuel was redirected to this area for all of the first responders and now is being shifted towards Houston.
I work for HEB Grocery, we had the Ingleside store partially restocked and open by Tuesday. I was told four open top semi trailers of spoiled product was hauled out of this small store. Aransas Pass and Rockport took a little longer to open.
Friends, Gene and Nellie Gruender were on the Lex with their Blue Vette down from Missouri.

We lived in Cedar Park till 17 years ago, where the gun range is now on 1431 We sold that 7 ac to the ppl that built that range 2 years ago.

Hopefully we will be on the road back to Corpus in a week or so, waiting until all utilities and medical services are available. So far none are available except Elect. Need water and sewer and medical

post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Fear no evil !

44thSKY and HORNET1 like this.

Last edited by SkyVue2; 09-04-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in