User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Daily Driver

My plan next year is to get a SKY Redline for a car, but I'd like a cheaper daily driver for the winter months and days where I don't feel the SKY's limited space will cut it. I've narrowed it down to a few options; what do you think I should get, and why?

Also known as LS3 MN6 on Corvette Forum

Daily Driver: Brazen Orange 2006 Coupe
The Toy: 2008 Arctic White Corvette Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I went with the Cobalt SS (non SC)... I like the four door's styling better than the ION sedans look (assuming you want to get the four door). The ION isn't for everyone, and I prefer the look of the 2003 model more than the 2004's frontend redesign. The HHR is nice, but the Cobalt SS model is cheaper than the HHR 2LT model (you said you wanted the better CHEAPER ride, right?). The Aura won't fit into that category, but it sure is a looker I have a picture of the 2006 Cobalt SS sedan in silver, in case you need to see a good picture of it <let me know>. Just my $.02!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

For the Aura I am hoping to find a stripped model around $20k. These would be lease cars (3 year ones) so my goal would be a $250 a month payment maximum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to marklynn70 Send a message via Yahoo to marklynn70 Send a message via Skype™ to marklynn70
If you are needing something bigger on various days then you might as well go with a 4 door. Easy access and extra room.

Mark
Black Onyx B/R Interior
_00565_

"Little Missy"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 09:43 AM

go with the ion and keep your insurance down!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 05:38 PM

If you want a 2nd car that has a lot more room, why not go with the 4-cyl Vue? From what I've been told, the '06 will have the same 2.4L Ecotec as the Sky, and if you go with the manual, it may even have the same tranny (although that's a big guess on that one, and you may want to get an automatic if you're going to be sitting in traffic a lot). It gets pretty good mileage, has a LOT of room (more than any of the ones you listed), and starts around $17.6k. You could add a few creature comforts and still be under $20k. If you wanted to get an '04 or '05 you could get one WAY cheaper, probably even get the V6 FWD for around $20k. They're cheap to insure, too.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
If you want a 2nd car that has a lot more room, why not go with the 4-cyl Vue? From what I've been told, the '06 will have the same 2.4L Ecotec as the Sky, and if you go with the manual, it may even have the same tranny (although that's a big guess on that one, and you may want to get an automatic if you're going to be sitting in traffic a lot). It gets pretty good mileage, has a LOT of room (more than any of the ones you listed), and starts around $17.6k. You could add a few creature comforts and still be under $20k. If you wanted to get an '04 or '05 you could get one WAY cheaper, probably even get the V6 FWD for around $20k. They're cheap to insure, too.
I've looked at small utes like the VUE, but I dislike the uphigh driving stance, I like to be as low to the road as possible. The low insurance is a plus on any car. Hopefully the reduction in insurance by moving a car like the SKY to pleasure car makes up for the new insurance cost of the daily. For now I am going to stick with a manual even on the daily, after all, practice makes perfect.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 08:49 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to marklynn70 Send a message via Yahoo to marklynn70 Send a message via Skype™ to marklynn70
As a Vue owner and having driven both I would recommend going with the 6 cyl. The 4 cyl has to work really hard to get you up to speed.

Mark
Black Onyx B/R Interior
_00565_

"Little Missy"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 09:45 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I agree, the Vue V6 is a great ride, and the new styling on the interiour of the vues makes them look very upscale. (as well as the changes on the exterior). Plus, if you have a light foot the v6 can be very fuel efficient, and of course.. if you have a heavy foot.. the little ute goes right quick to 60 - make lexus IS owners think twice about talking smack to that little monster..

But hey, that's just my inner child talking
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 AM

Well, "Car and Driver" choose the Acura RSX-type S over the Cobalt SS. For what that is worth... Man I really hate "Car and Driver" at this point in time!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:25 AM

I like the Ion and the Cobalt. So I had to vote "other." You didn't ask but I'll offer a bit more.

When I was looking for a new vehicle insurance and theft rates were high on my consideration list. Of course cost and payments. MPG, and operating costs such as replacing tires, windshield wipers and such. Interior and trunk space was important to me. I had a long list of features, wants and needs. So I made an Excel document to track and compare all the variables of the various vehicles I was interested in at the time. Even though I knew on paper which vehicle I wanted I still took the time to test drive others that made it towards the top of my list in the end.

Best of luck deciding on one!

angel
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Based on the Saturn pice drops this year I think I am getting an ION 3 Sedan with the 2.4L, seems to be the best deal overall.

Thanks everyone for your input!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 08:57 PM

My 2 cents is to buy a vehicle that have room to carry stuff when you need to, so the HHR would be my choice, but you did mentioned that the cost of the daily driver is a factor, have you give some thought to the Pontiac Vibe, reasonable size and price, good gas milage, and good insurance rate to boot.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in