1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
ebike anyone? Ahnuld gets a Sondors

Last month was my 10 yr anniversary of owning my yellow Sky Redline! Its still ticking but needs some love over the next year.

In the interim, I picked up an eBike. This the Sondors kickstarter bike (well, launched as kickstarter). Competitors are typically in the $2000+ range and when Sonders said they put out a quality eBike for $500... the industry was more than skeptical.

Well they pulled it off, kickstarter is done and they are selling as regular online orders. I grabbed the $500 holiday special bike (+ $195 shipping) and picked up a third party LCD adn controller.

Like the Kappa platform, the Mods for the Sondors bike is taking off. Reading the forums and facebook, it really is reminiscent of SkyRoadster forums in 2006/07.

Of course I had to go yellow to keep with the tradition!
Both car and bike are a little dirty from riding after the rain... you should see my back from the mud. Need some fenders.

Anyone else have an e-Bike?
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1672 Post(s)
Garage
That's pretty cool!

V.A.L. (#1108)
2007 2.4 Base
MagnaFlow dual outlet, quad tip exhaust test car
**Sold**

Max (#1547)
2007 TURBO 2.4
Too much to list here. See my Garage for details.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
No e-bike, but I do roughly 100 miles a week on the old-fashioned road bike...
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 05:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Garage
I'm an old fashioned non hybrid Gas bike kind of guy.

LUSIFER is Sold!
say hello to
RYUK

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Garage
I have a friend that invested in the EBike. He loves it. Rides it about 8 miles to and from work everyday. The last time I talked to him about it, he was talking about a gearing change in the hub that would give it more speed, it has a lever on the handle bar.

I am into mountain biking and getting ready for the Sea Otter Classic, but have not done enough to be competitive, it will be a finish deal for me I am afraid.

They are pretty neat looking bikes for the 500.00 price tag. But afraid it would make me more lazy than I am.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Been watching Sandor's since the kickstarter campaign, but just can't be convinced enough that I need/want one. I already have about 5 bikes. But they seem to be doing well. Of course the latest few things are a bit scary. Asking people to buy into the company, and now the news that he wants to build a car.

Have fun, any links to the Mods that are out there. I have not been following much of late, but would be interested in poking around again.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 10:57 PM

Garage
I have nothing, but will most likely see the guy this week. He does all my powder coating.

I have two bikes and way too much money in them. One top of the line mountain bike and an Ultegra level electric shift road bike. Both carbon fiber. And I am not riding either one of them enough. During the summer I was doing 120 mile son the mountain bike and about 40 on the road bike. The last two months maybe a total of 5 miles. Not good.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:43 PM

I was asking the OP about the Sanders

Skersfan what kind of road bike. The electronic shifting has looked interesting to me. Spent lots of money (for me) on the bikes before the electronic shifting came out.

Kids have taken my free time, but about to get back to riding, Well in the spring a bit cold and snowy to do it now. At least on a road a bike.

I am a GM Engineer.

I do not claim to be a GM representative, all of my postings are my own interpretation and personal opinions.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:59 PM

Garage
I have a Trek Domane 5.7 Ultegra. The one thing about them is it makes you actually shift more. Being a mountain biker, the old school was hammer through it. With the new electric shift, on the road bike it is so easy to shift, you find yourself playing with it all the time. On one of my rides 20 miles out and back, mostly flat ground, I would put it in the top gear and just pedal, this thing I shift at every incline, it really helps you ride better.

I am just about to purchase the mountain bike set up. I am sponsored on the mountain bike but still ride a 3 year old Super Fly FS 9.9SL, all black Rockshop upgrade with lock outs. I love the bike. No more hard tales for me. The Domane has a rubber connection at the top tube for a little flex. Very smooth compared to my old Madone.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 12:00 AM

Garage
Elf!!! Those things will kill you!!!!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skersfan View Post
I have a friend that invested in the EBike. He loves it. Rides it about 8 miles to and from work everyday. The last time I talked to him about it, he was talking about a gearing change in the hub that would give it more speed, it has a lever on the handle bar.

I am into mountain biking and getting ready for the Sea Otter Classic, but have not done enough to be competitive, it will be a finish deal for me I am afraid.

They are pretty neat looking bikes for the 500.00 price tag. But afraid it would make me more lazy than I am.
I am a complete noob approaching 50... hadn't been on a bike in 10 years I think.

Even with the motor its a heck of a workout. The stock battery setup gives you just enough just for it to be fun, but there is a desire to extend it for longer trips so the rider ends up pedaling along. The LCD monitor add on gives power 5 power assist modes... simply it blends pedaling and power to go faster (or get there with less effort but still an effort). I always pedal up hills to help out.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
Been watching Sandor's since the kickstarter campaign, but just can't be convinced enough that I need/want one. I already have about 5 bikes. But they seem to be doing well. Of course the latest few things are a bit scary. Asking people to buy into the company, and now the news that he wants to build a car.

Have fun, any links to the Mods that are out there. I have not been following much of late, but would be interested in poking around again.
There have been several waves of people doubting the guy. Come out with a $500 product in a $2500 market and its going to ruffle some feathers. So far the bike has delvered on what he promised and more. Very very few unhappy purchasers on the forums, and that's usually where they hang out.

The "buying into the company" and "selling a car" are related. He is raising money to build the car company, and then will sell it (and shareholders get first dibs at buying the car.. which as a three wheeler is actually a motorcycle). Its the same guy but a different company than the eBike.

Mods:
The mods that I see most popular, in order:

LCD Screen. Software can create power assist modes, and unlock any speed governors (at least in the case of the Sondors) $50
Controller: Amps that are pulled from the battery. More amps = more torque for uphill climbs. $50 for 20 or 25. allows later battery upgrades
Battery: $350-$700 or more. In the case of Sondors a $350 ish extra battery with 50% more range. Can then go higher volts from 36 to 48 and 52. volts give more speed I believe. The combo of volts and bigger batteries can get to $700 or so but you can run for 50 miles or more all electric
Motor: Replacing to a higher watt motor. I think stock on sondors is 350? goes higher.

The LCD and Controller seem to be very popular "bang for your buck" upgrade.

Two biggest after market shops I've seen are LunaCycle and VeloMobileShop
some neat stuff in there.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnuld View Post
There have been several waves of people doubting the guy. Come out with a $500 product in a $2500 market and its going to ruffle some feathers. So far the bike has delvered on what he promised and more. Very very few unhappy purchasers on the forums, and that's usually where they hang out.

The "buying into the company" and "selling a car" are related. He is raising money to build the car company, and then will sell it (and shareholders get first dibs at buying the car.. which as a three wheeler is actually a motorcycle). Its the same guy but a different company than the eBike.

Mods:
The mods that I see most popular, in order:

LCD Screen. Software can create power assist modes, and unlock any speed governors (at least in the case of the Sondors) $50
Controller: Amps that are pulled from the battery. More amps = more torque for uphill climbs. $50 for 20 or 25. allows later battery upgrades
Battery: $350-$700 or more. In the case of Sondors a $350 ish extra battery with 50% more range. Can then go higher volts from 36 to 48 and 52. volts give more speed I believe. The combo of volts and bigger batteries can get to $700 or so but you can run for 50 miles or more all electric
Motor: Replacing to a higher watt motor. I think stock on sondors is 350? goes higher.

The LCD and Controller seem to be very popular "bang for your buck" upgrade.

Two biggest after market shops I've seen are LunaCycle and VeloMobileShop
some neat stuff in there.
I never doubted the bike. As a bike enthusiast and a hybrid/electric vehicle guy for work. His bike intrigued me. But its not like he came out with a $2500 bike for $500. He came out with $500 bike. Smaller battery, heavy frame, smaller motor mostly less expensive components. Interesting those are not what it seems some are spending a few $1000 to upgrade. Maybe one of the more unique features to save money, was the removable smaller battery, so you could charge it at work, instead of having to have the range of a round trip on the bike. But moving from a bike with 100 parts to a car is a whole other thing. Been watching Elio motors since near day 1. I think its been 5 yrs now the car is do out soon. Then you have the Tesla approach burn through Millions of dollars of cash.

Anyhow I hope all the money on side schemes are really for other projects, but from a startup perspective though's are some pretty big warning signs that they are having financial issues. It seems like the ones who have bought like them which is a great thing.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davhamm View Post
I never doubted the bike. As a bike enthusiast and a hybrid/electric vehicle guy for work. His bike intrigued me. But its not like he came out with a $2500 bike for $500. He came out with $500 bike. Smaller battery, heavy frame, smaller motor mostly less expensive components. Interesting those are not what it seems some are spending a few $1000 to upgrade. Maybe one of the more unique features to save money, was the removable smaller battery, so you could charge it at work, instead of having to have the range of a round trip on the bike. But moving from a bike with 100 parts to a car is a whole other thing. Been watching Elio motors since near day 1. I think its been 5 yrs now the car is do out soon. Then you have the Tesla approach burn through Millions of dollars of cash.

Anyhow I hope all the money on side schemes are really for other projects, but from a startup perspective though's are some pretty big warning signs that they are having financial issues. It seems like the ones who have bought like them which is a great thing.
Agreed on 99% of your commentary! the bike pricing... compromise on components but still a good value... opened up the world to a whole group of buyers like myself who never would spend 2k on a "better" bike. Gives the ability to dip a toe in and then if really liking it, can take a deeper dive. Just like a car company offering multiple price points
If he's sold 15,000 of these bikes, I bet a significant portion of buyers would've never bought a eBike if not for his cheap price. (just my speculation).

on the funding aspect.. well I knew about the bike when it was a kickstarter but they aren't guaranteed and no way was I putting up $500 considering the risks (especially since he seemed to come out of no where). When I purchased, it was well after kickstarter project was done and mine shipped from his inventory.

For his car.. the initial funding model is different. he's selling shares in the company, and then separately will offer a car purchase. He's hoping that the success of the bike effort is validity enough for the car. I think the shares are $120 each so not crazy to get people on board. I'm ok with the model and don't really take it as a sign of financial instability. I bet off his bike success he could get investors but crowd-funding is his thing.

Fiskar's name was being thrown around before Tesla appeared. Delaware gave Fisker a $20 million dollar loan to start up the Kappa Delaware plant, went no where... and now they are going to build in China. Meanwhile Tesla comes in and is eating up everyone.... so where is Fisker and their traditional finance model? something kinda related that I was thinking about recently
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnuld View Post
For his car.. the initial funding model is different. he's selling shares in the company, and then separately will offer a car purchase. He's hoping that the success of the bike effort is validity enough for the car. I think the shares are $120 each so not crazy to get people on board. I'm ok with the model and don't really take it as a sign of financial instability. I bet off his bike success he could get investors but crowd-funding is his thing.

Fiskar's name was being thrown around before Tesla appeared. Delaware gave Fisker a $20 million dollar loan to start up the Kappa Delaware plant, went no where... and now they are going to build in China. Meanwhile Tesla comes in and is eating up everyone.... so where is Fisker and their traditional finance model? something kinda related that I was thinking about recently
Tesla survives cause Elon just keeps pumping money into and he is selling his cars for far more than the $10k Sondors is shooting for. Funny just got another email from Sondors they are up to $700k in funding. Uhm thats not very much. Here is the website for the car https://www.startengine.com/startup/...s-electric-car looks similiar to Elio motors car https://www.eliomotors.com/ Had to google when Elio started this effort, was off a bit It was 2009 so 7 yrs and still 1 or 2 years from production. Building a car even a 3 wheeled one that lets you ignore many federal regulations, is just so complicated and expensive. If you don't start with 10's of millions of dollars to throw at it, its a slow long process. Will be another one to watch with interest.

EDIT: Just found this article from March 2016 pretty good summary of where this project has been. http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobile...tml/?a=viewall As for the 100 they still have not been built.

I am a GM Engineer.

2009 HYDRO REDLINE AUTO

Last edited by davhamm; 12-19-2016 at 02:23 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in