User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Final Ride of the 1994 SC2

The final days of the 1994 Saturn SC2 should be celebrated and not mourned. I would like to share with you all the story of one of the greatest and influential things in my life to this point.

The SC2 joined the automotive eternal on Sunday, March 19, 2006 two months shy of her twelfth birthday. Since her purchase in May of 1997 I have shared many memories in that car. Whether it be car trips to Blacksburg or Hilton Head, or simple road soda rides back from Georgetown, the car never let me down.

There were the time the windshield wipers would spar against one another, the time Turpin and I took it on a trip in one foot of snow up a closed Route 81, there was the amazing parking spot outside Butt’s apartment in Baltimore, the time it was being broken in to by an illegitimate Tech-Tow driver… the list continues about as long the trail of antifreeze she would leave in her last final moments which I would like to share with you now:

Thursday, March 16th 1pm. I leave Carlisle, PA with the intent to meet Jeff Butt in Falls Church to ride to Dulles airport to enjoy a weekend of typical debauchery in Savannah, GA for St Patty’s Day. On the trip down Route 70 I notice the usual game of cat and mouse the engine temperature gauge needle loves to play with the red overheat warning area. It flirts a bit with the danger zone and then drops back down only to come back up moments later. I have the engine on full heat and windows down to keep the engine as happy as possible, especially since its mild outside and I’m going about 80 MPH for a good fifty miles. The car starts doing something new though, a whole new dance I have yet to play with it. Now the gauge needles are bouncing up and down and the electrical system is browning in and out. I am hardly worried as I know my battery connectors are often loose and sometimes it creates hiccups in the car’s electrical components especially when I start the car. But something still feels a bit uncomfortable. I notice Mr. Needle heading for the “redzone” as I ease up on the gas. Then suddenly the needle shoots straight past the entire warning zone and past the meter in to the dash board. This, without a doubt, is not good. I have to be “that guy” – that same guy who breaks down on the Wilson Bridge and creates massive traffic jams. I pull over and plumes of while smoke pour from the hood. After letting the smoke die down I decide to start the car again and get it to the next rest stop less than a mile up the road. I pull in (smoke again spewing out like the Moose Club on a Friday in Vienna) and stop the car to call Jeff Butt. In his total lack of understanding he informs me he wants to leave early to get a beer at the airport. I hang up frustrated and convinced I will not be making my flight and this will be the end of SC2. But no, this is not how the hero dies – not in some small hospital bed alone in a strange place. I get back in and decide to push it until it can go no further.

I decided to stop only once to get more coolant from a gas station. After buying the price gouged bottle of coolant the attendant said “Can’t let those Twincams run too hot now” to what I replied “You have no idea”. The coolant by the way poured right through the car like it was a Brita filter. I head down Route 15 and just decide to ignore the engine lights now flashing “low coolant” “low battery” “Ill kill you soon” and so forth. Every time I have to stop at a light smoke comes from the car and it begins to shake, I run three stop lights to avoid the heavy idle overheating including one that even the last level of Frogger couldn’t dream up in Reston. I park my car at the Reston Town Center lot and get in a friends car to get to the airport. Wow, she made it; she saved the day I thought. Like that last breath she didn’t really have to spare was spent to see that I could have a drunken time with my friends – that is true SC2 heart and soul. Upon retuning Sunday and getting her started I proclaimed it to be the last drive ever, I would take her to my driveway 9 miles away and leave her there for the NPR donation service to come and collect in the morning. But, the warrior SC2 had fought her last battle getting me to my flight on time. Less than 3 miles from her parking spot I heard a light pop from the floor board. Within seconds black smoke filled my car from the AC vents and I again became “that guy” in the middle of Reston Parkway. I jumped out and hoped to flag away traffic as my battery had cut off and my hazards were no longer flashing. One of the first cars that stopped was nothing short of a miracle… who knew that a guardian angel would be sent to me in the form of A**hole Jon -- a college friend. He helped diagnose and agreed the best thing would be to get it off the road and then ride with him back to my house to determine what to do next. I drop kicked the battery a few times and saw signs of life and once again SC2 lurched forward one last time, thus saving me a tow fee and removing the car from oncoming traffic. I parked the car by a public park, removed the license plates and said goodbye to one of my dearest friends. The donation tow truck will come this week to take her to Saturn heaven.

Though I insisted for years that I would park my SC2 dozens of spots from other cars and wipe it down with a diaper constantly every night the old girl started to lose a lot of her luster around late 2002. Overheating, falling panels, failing battery, missing mirrors, keys broken in the ignition… the short list grew longer and longer. And yet through it all she never gave up and I think she died exactly how she would have wanted. Putting it all on the line for me.

Thank you SC2.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc2rip.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	12973   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc2_heaven.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	12974   Click image for larger version

Name:	montage.jpg
Views:	1969
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	12975  

Last edited by 1994SC2; 04-09-2007 at 08:26 PM.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
That was beautiful man!!!

Sorry to hear your dear SC2 has departed!!!

Regards,

S.D.

2nd SKY: (Lucy)
2008 RED on Red/Black Lthr
RedLine
Delivered - 7/14/08
Loaded
Auto
3" Magnaflow, GMPP Tune,
Lil Chromies & CAI

1st SKY: (Traded)
2007 Silver Graphite
RedLine
Loaded (-6CD)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 07:39 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Friends to the end

A moment in respect................OK...Seal9

Chili Pepper Red Loaded/LSD
White Redline Stock
Long tubes/Free Flow Cat
Thermal Research Dual Exhaust
DDM Supercharger Stage II.5
DDM Shock Tower Brace
KONI Adj Shocks
DDM Brakes/Pro Beam/Back Bone
Wideband AFR /Boost
Water/Methyl alc Inj
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Got a little misty there. She certainly went out like a trooper.

Know that we're all thinking of you during this difficult time.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
First Reported SKY Owner!

A Moment of Silence, please

(sniff) (sniff)

My SKY: "Stormi"-Silver Pearl, Black Leather, 5-Spd Manual, LSD, 6-Disc, Chrome Rims
VIN#100478
Deposit: 10/25/05
Ordered: 1/11/06.
Born: 3/6/06.
Delivered: 3/14/06.
Driven home: 3/16/06.
License Plate: NLES SKY- "Endless Sky"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 09:47 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I feel your pain, someone once said. I don't recall who it was. hehehe Skip.... Here lies a car who gave it it's all.... rest in pieces.

The Official Resident Redneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH View Post
"smart azz redneck that loves to drink that Jack and chase women".......My kind of guy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:03 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

"TEAR".... condulences.... very sorry to hear about your loss... if you need ANYTHING... please dont hesitate to call.. write or just YELL...... unless it is in the middle of the night... then... i will have to strangle ya..after all, i do need my beauty sleep.. hehehehe... that bites.. but CHEER UP.... YOUR SKY hopefully WILL BE HERE SOON! SkyBaby-07 We are here for you......

07 PINK SkyRL Livin the Sky-Sol life with my hubby, Bill Hahn Jr Love is... Having a Sky Roadster and a Solstice
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 10:38 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I had a 1991 SC2. I loved that car... Still to this day my favorite Saturn other than the new SKY. I had a similar journey when a hole appeared in my coolant line. I had to stop every so often and add fluid. The car was starting to fall apart at the end, but I loved that car!

MrJester

-Yellow Sky
-Premium Black Leather
-Limited Slip Differential
-Chrome Plated Wheels
-Monsoon 1-Disc/MP3 Player

Imaged 3/14
030 on 3/22
TPW 5/8
038 on 5/12
Vin 2616
Arrived at dealership 5/23
Picked up 5/24
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 05:04 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Wow that really tugs at the heartstrings. May I ask how many miles it had on it? I am still driving my '95 SC2.

Blue Skys Ahead!
Midnight Blue, Tan/Black Leather
6-disc CD/MPG player with Monsoon
XM
Chrome Wheels
License Plate: SKYRIDE
Ordered 3/10/06
3800 5/10/06
Delivered 6/15/06
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 08:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Tinley Park
My first Saturn was a 1994 SC2 as well (red). I have a 97 SC2 now and have owned an SL as well. My 97 will stay with me --- still going strong.

My condolences...

Rick Tinley Park

Delivered June 15, 2006
VIN - 3099
Sunburst Yellow
Painted Calipers
Brushed aluminum Interior panels
GM CAI
Yellow Engine cover and Fuse box
Custom Lighted Door Sills (WR)
Name - Sunni1
IL License # - YLO SKY 1
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinLR,AR
Wow that really tugs at the heartstrings. May I ask how many miles it had on it? I am still driving my '95 SC2.
She braved...

Final Odometer: 129,207 Miles
Number of States Visited: 23
Max Number of Passengers at one time: 8
Highest Speed Attained: 110
Concerts at Nissan Pavillion attended: 40
Moving Violations Received: 6
Moving Violations Convicted: 1

Though she passed intestate, we believe she wanted all of her CDs, toll change, and jumper cables to be given fee simple to her heirs. At the time of her expiration that would be the 2007 Sky.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:20 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Well hopefully I have many years and miles to go...

Current Odometer: 75,125 Miles
Number of States Visited: 2
Max Number of Passengers at one time: 4
Highest Speed Attained: 85
Moving Violations Received: 0

Blue Skys Ahead!
Midnight Blue, Tan/Black Leather
6-disc CD/MPG player with Monsoon
XM
Chrome Wheels
License Plate: SKYRIDE
Ordered 3/10/06
3800 5/10/06
Delivered 6/15/06

Last edited by GRinLR,AR; 03-22-2006 at 04:22 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 02:16 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Ok..I've seen your pictures and read your prose. You're going to be a great lawyer.

Man, I'd love to have you on my side if I'm ever sued for malpractice. Think you'd like to practice in Texas? I'd like to keep you on retainer!

Good luck to you in your future and enjoy your Sky. Hope to meet you in person some day.

Jay

2007 SKY "καλυψω"
Delivered 4/20/06
VIN 1087
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:50 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

I feel your pain in so many ways. My beloved 93 SC2 is about to get a kick in the bucket at the rate she's going. Last night, the sunroof got stuck .. in the open position. Then I couldn't get the switch put back together, so my maplights are dangling from the roof of the car, with the sunroof still wide open.

I'm afraid she's going to go out like yours did .. in a huge plume of smoke. But she's not allowed to for another 4500 miles!

My 1993 SC2's stats:
Current Odometer: 195,642 Miles
Number of States Visited: 10
Max Number of Passengers at one time: 6
Highest Speed Attained: 114
Moving Violations Received: 1
Warnings recieved: 4
Currently broken body panels: 5

Saturn enthusiast and former Sales Consultant
Red Line Owner's Association co-president
99 SL2 Homecoming Edition - 78k miles
93 SC2 - 204k miles - needs fuel pump
04 VUE Red Line - RIP 7/1/06
07 VUE Red Line - 25k miles
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 05:10 AM

I thought I was the only nut left who loved those s cars

Sorry to hear about your SC...I have a 95 SC2 who is also going that way...I haven't driven her for 2 years because everytime I start her up I get an overwhelming ordor of gas..the handy saturn service people said it's probably the fuel pump which they'd be happy to fix for $1800.00!!! so she sits . she has 128,450 miles on her..so she's had a good life..i drive my boring ion quad coupe...but it's not the same...she was light plum..which always look silver to me except when she was very clean and it was twilight....best car i ever had..now i'm waiting for my sky....it's been four months and still no news as to when or if I take ownership by the end of the year...they don't allocate as many to Hawaii which is kinda dumb because where else would a convertible look so goood.....glad to know there are others who loved there sc2''s..i get real tired of people thinking saturns are so boring and ugly.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in