post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to jrarant Send a message via Yahoo to jrarant
Quote:
Originally Posted by plausibledenial View Post
What organ donation could really use is some education of the masses. I have the organ donor sticker on my driver's license , and I can't count the number of times that someone has said something to the effects of 'if the EMT/hospital/doctors/etc see that they will just let you die to get your organs. You should take that off." I think if more people realised that it doesn't affect your medical care, then perhaps people more inclined to donate. So many wasted opportunities to help another human being because of misinformation and fear...

Personally, the thought of being able to ease someone else's suffering or keep someone alive once I'm gone is actually pretty cool. It's not like I need the parts anymore, anyway.
I agree. Also, if you don't let your family know that this is your true wish your organs may not get donated as they have the final say so on this.

Midnight Blue, Black Top/Leather VIN: 2773 Del 06/08/06 RIP 08/12/06
Forest Green, Redline, Black Top, Tan Interior
Deposit - 08/18/06
Ordered 05/25/07
Born 06/18/07
Delivered: 07/12/07

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Location: SoCal somewhere (I don't have nav, so I'm not quite sure)
Send a message via Yahoo to fakebil
Don't neglect what you can do while you're alive.

Whenever I'm eligible, I donate whole blood & platelets. I even got a call a while back for my white blood cells. They gave me steroids for that one. It isn't tough to do; you pretty much just bleed into a bag. Marrow donation is another important one everyone should register for.

Give all you can; you'll just make more.

Bil

Go to B3Auto.Net, click the link, & take a look at what's new.
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:20 PM

Organ donation

I donated a kidney to my sister 3 years ago. We were prefect match. It took so little from me to give her a chance at life. She is doing fine. Everyone should give consideration to donating an organ. You are really screened as a living donor. If anything is wrong with your health it is hard to be able to donate.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Wow

I'm shocked. I don't know how I missed this thread. I tell you what, this forum sure does have some kind hearted members. Thank you soooooooo much reedred for posting this. It's people like you who God used to give my little brother 10 more years to live when he had a transplant in 1997. For that I am eternally greatful.

~ Stephen

WindRestrictor®
Use code "Forum Member" save 10%.
Windrestrictor®
Click Here For Info
972-487-5987
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Artsy SKY
My son just signed his organ donor card

My son turned 16 at the end of October. He got his license yesterday. he was filling out the form and it got to the organ donor box. He didn't even hesitate, he checked it and looked at me and told me his wish was to donate everything if something was to happen (God forbid). I was amazed and proud that this young man realized the importance of signing his donor card. If he can do it, we all should. My hubby knows that if anything happens to me, I want to donate it all (at least what anyone would take). It is so cool to belong to a group that thinks so deeply and discusses the important stuff as well as the fun stuff. I am honored to be part of this group (but will feel more like a member when I have my very own Sky!)
CD
www.cdsartisticendearvors.blogspot.com

ARTSY SKY

2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Midnight Blue
Black Top/Black Interior
Bought: 12/15/07, traded for midnight blue 2/6/08

Name: still unnamed
"Blue Sky's and Smooth Sailing"

blog
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:47 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
THAT IS AWESOME Dawn..... WOW.... I wish more kids had their thinking caps on... unfortunately it takes more than just signing that... MAKE SURE YOUR FAMILY/FRIENDS KNOW YOUR WISHES............ They do ask family.. EVEN when you have the box checked..... SkyBaby

07 PINK SkyRL Livin the Sky life. Love is having what you need and want.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Wife View Post
My son turned 16 at the end of October. He got his license yesterday. he was filling out the form and it got to the organ donor box. He didn't even hesitate, he checked it and looked at me and told me his wish was to donate everything if something was to happen (God forbid). I was amazed and proud that this young man realized the importance of signing his donor card. If he can do it, we all should. My hubby knows that if anything happens to me, I want to donate it all (at least what anyone would take). It is so cool to belong to a group that thinks so deeply and discusses the important stuff as well as the fun stuff. I am honored to be part of this group (but will feel more like a member when I have my very own Sky!)
CD
www.cdsartisticendearvors.blogspot.com
That's great, CD! As for what anyone would take, you'd be surprised. I made a joke to that effect when I was speaking with the lady frm the SWTA, and she went into detail about how much of my thoroughly abused and worn out body would be able to be harvested. Some people think they don't have anything left that would be of use to anyone, but a lot of times they're wrong.

Anyway, congratulations on raising such a resposible and thoughtful son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:44 PM

I thought that all my good parts would somehow end up in the Smithsonian.

Seriously though I never really gave organ donation a thought until I was in a serious accident and in the intensive care unit. Luckily I survived, but on death's door I realized that I had never discussed donation or resuscitation or any of those things that healthy people don't like to think about, with my son or other relatives.

Life is very precious and we all need to appreciate what a gift life is, and in the event that the unthinkable happens what could be better than to pass this gift on.

It makes me feel great to know that there are 16 year olds that already know what I didn't learn until it was almost too late.

Got it:

2008 Sky Redline
Black Onyx Red/Black Leather
Single Disc Monsoon
Spoiler
Chrome Wheels
3 Pedals
Picked up 9/04/07
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 01:07 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Been an organ donor for over 40 years (haven't had to give yet )

Running full throttle SOLO (SQR-2)

Some people grow old before their time...I choose to die before I grow old

Last edited by Druid-2; 07-11-2008 at 06:38 AM.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 AM

I don't have an actual organ donor card but my license says I am. Not only that but I have made sure my entire family knows that if anything ever happens to me I am a donor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsterrage View Post
Always happy to help you get your kink on, Reed.

post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:44 AM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyhighNY View Post
I don't have an actual organ donor card but my license says I am. Not only that but I have made sure my entire family knows that if anything ever happens to me I am a donor.

You really need a card.... I have LOTS of extras that I hand out.... let me know if anyone needs one... let me know. SkyBaby..

I know alot of folks think that just having it on your lic is enough... just depends on the emergency personel working on you at the time of need. It is not only important to have it on your lic , but, have a card in your wallet, have one at home and be sure your family who may be handling your care knows your wishes. There was a case here by Rockford recently , the gentleman had the box marked on his lic and had a card, but, the card was at home and the "family" member who was with him said NO. at that point, when you cant speak for yourself it is up to that "family/other" member to speak for you. Ok.... sorry... enough... SkyBaby

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	donor cards.jpg
Views:	4812
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	27191  

07 PINK SkyRL Livin the Sky life. Love is having what you need and want.
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:47 AM

I firmly believe in transplants and organ donations. My wife had a kidney transplanted in 91 and is still going strong today. It was near perfect match in all catgories and really did save her life. (She would not have made another year without the transplant.

I tell everyone who will listen to sign a donor card, make the notation on your drivers licence and tell all your family and friends that you want to donate organs when the time comes. Putting it in a will or trust document is usually too late to do any good.

Skip, good things come to good people. Keep the faith and it will work out for you.

Sky Pilot 51
Classic 07 2.4 Forrest Green (Green Envy)
Auto (For She Who Must Be Obeyed)
Tan Top with Tan Leather Interior
Multi-Disk w/MP3
Stock and plan to keep her that way.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:02 PM

NY Corrections Officer Dies

I'm not sure how many of you have heard about the following story...

Andrew Reister, Anthony Oddone, correction officer, Stony Brook University Medical Center, Publick House, Southampton -- Newsday.com

In summary, a local corrections officer was strangled and left brain dead while working a side job as a bouncer. I wanted to make everyone aware of the positive that will come out of this. He was an organ donor and will be saving many lives.

I got the following email from a friend today who worked with him...

Andy is clinically dead. I was there on Friday and Saturday. His family is donating his organs so they're waiting for the donor team to assemble which should be on Monday or Tuesday. They may have to work in conjunction with the medical examiners office to officially determine the cause of death. The whole thing is a mess and everyone at work is really feeling it. I feel for his kids who know he's in the hospital, but don't know he's dead. The kids will not see him until the wake. Worst part about this (besides him dying of course) is he was taking his kids to Disney in 2 weeks.

I guess we never really know when it is our time so let's all make sure we sign our cards and carry them with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsterrage View Post
Always happy to help you get your kink on, Reed.

post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 06:08 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

For years I have been signed up on the National Bone Marrow Donor Program (National Marrow Donor Program) ...never got a call... also with the Central New York Eye & Tissue Bank (: : Central New York Eye and Tissue Bank - CNYETB : :) all organs, tissues, and eyes for both transplatation and research. Both of my 'Health Care Proxies' are well informed.

But, ... well I obviously support these programs ... however I do have concerns of .. over zealous organ support teams that are more interested in getting my organs than saving my life.
A good friend of mine had a 'Do Not Recessate' order on file. He had diabetes and with low sugar he pasted out in his home. All he needed to recovery was some sugary water but the hospital could NOT legally permit injecting a simple feeding tube into him. He did past away. His situation was 'DNR' and not organ donor ... and I understand the need for donors and support obviously these type of sign-up's. But besure your proxies are strong and cannot be pressured by zealous organ support teams that scare and pressure (my health care friends tell me of witnessed experiences).

"Lucifer" is my name!
Deposit:4-11-06 & Titled:11-28-06 SKY "Red Line" Silver Pearl, Black Wings on it's back, Bloody Red interior, Dejon intercooler/Solo Exhaust, Robert's screen.
If you suddenly feel warm, it is just me passing through grinning!

Last edited by GetAboutRL; 08-09-2008 at 06:14 PM.
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:09 PM

I'm the guy who emailed [SkyHighNY] about the story of my friend and co-worker. Andy was a special friend. Someone who'd make you smile no matter the circumstance or situation. I was in shock to learn he'd be fallen by someone considerably smaller in size than him. He had the disadvantage however as he was attacked from a table which was higher than him. To see him lying in a hospital bed unresponsive was torturing. All i could think of was his children. His co-workers and I will look after the family because that's what we do. Hopefully someone that gets one of his organs will go on to find a cure for cancer or some **** like that. At least then it would've been worth while.

My advice?.....enjoy your life now because it could be over tomorrow.

......i need a drink.

Last edited by FiaCobra; 08-09-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in