IMPORTANT: Organ Donation - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing the story and for the awareness you're spreading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinKY View Post
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
FiaCobra, I'm also very sorry for your loss.

Just shut up and drive.
Proud Founder of MASC/MASSC
Classic 2006 Pontiac Solstice
2010 Mini Cooper S
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to SteveSky67 Send a message via MSN to SteveSky67 Send a message via Yahoo to SteveSky67
I hav seen this thread pop up once in a while and I'm not sure if i'm a donor or not.....

"Jessica" '08 Redline
Bluestone
Automatic
08/10/07 Order Date
09/11/07 Picked Up
04/03/09 PAID IN FULL
04/18/09 TITLE IN HAND
20 Time Trophy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedred View Post
I've taken a rear-ending or two in my day, but I've never been slammed like that! :eek:
post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSky67 View Post
I hav seen this thread pop up once in a while and I'm not sure if i'm a donor or not.....
If you're not sure, you aren't. If you'd want to do one last good thing for others should you ever unfortunately be able, then you need to be sure and you need to take action. You should get a card and your loved ones need to know your wishes. It's uncomfotable to consider and a bit weird to discuss, but they need to know how you feel.

A lot of organs aren't transplanted because people's loved ones who are the ones making the decision aren't sure what to do. You can take that out of their hands and make it easier for them by letting them know what you want before hand. Look into it- a good place to start is Southwest Transplant Alliance - and figure out what you would want. If it's what I'd hope everyone would do, you need to take action. Happy reading!

Quote:
First, you shouldn't discount the utility of the jelly, but the KY in my name represents Kentucky, which is where I live.
Are you an organ donor?
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:31 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveSky67 Send a message via MSN to SteveSky67 Send a message via Yahoo to SteveSky67
Quote:
If you're not sure, you aren't. If you'd want to do one last good thing for others should you ever unfortunately be able, then you need to be sure and you need to take action. You should get a card and your loved ones need to know your wishes. It's uncomfotable to consider and a bit weird to discuss, but they need to know how you feel.

A lot of organs aren't transplanted because people's loved ones who are the ones making the decision aren't sure what to do. You can take that out of their hands and make it easier for them by letting them know what you want before hand. Look into it- a good place to start is Southwest Transplant Alliance - and figure out what you would want. If it's what I'd hope everyone would do, you need to take action. Happy reading!
Well, i looked at my Drivers License and i didn't see anthing...but, i would like to discuss it with u at a meet if that is ok with you.???

"Jessica" '08 Redline
Bluestone
Automatic
08/10/07 Order Date
09/11/07 Picked Up
04/03/09 PAID IN FULL
04/18/09 TITLE IN HAND
20 Time Trophy Winner

Quote:
I've taken a rear-ending or two in my day, but I've never been slammed like that! :eek:

Last edited by SteveSky67; 08-09-2008 at 11:37 PM.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 AM

This hasn't been bumped in a while... BUMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsterrage View Post
Always happy to help you get your kink on, Reed.

post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 10:25 AM

Bumping this thread with a plea for those willing to become a bone marrow donor. The young daughter of an employee where I work has been battling Lymphoma and last week had a major setback. It now appears she has Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) and may require a Bone Marrow Transplant. You can read about Mya’s courageous battle here: CaringBridge / myaterry / Welcome

A fellow employee has set up an easy and free way for you to register to become a Bone Marrow Donor. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has graciously set up a program where you can register online to get a free at home swab kit. The kit consists of a simple cotton swab of the mouth. This account has been set up specifically for Mya; however, if you are found to be a match in the future for someone else, they will contact you.

I have just registered in the hopes that I may help this sweet little girl, or possibly someone else in the future.

If you have been considering registering to be a bone marrow donor and just haven't got around to it, or weren't able to afford the fee, now is the time. Please register today and take advantage of the opportunity to possibly save a life, while saving the cost of the normal processing fee.

Please register today! It can take up to six weeks for the testing to be completed.

Finally, please pass this on to ANYONE you think might be interested in signing up. The below code is valid through September 30th. Please help if you can!

Quote:
To Register Online:

Go to Join Now - online registration for Be The Match Marrow Registry

1. After you click the link above, you will see “Join Now”

2. Scroll down and check the boxes in Step 1 (ignore any reference to cost; you do not pay anything when you use your code)

3. In order to continue the registration process, you must agree to the terms of use and sign the consent through electronic signature

4. Enter your information

5. Enter Code: Mya829 (Case sensitive: If you run into any issues with the code not working, please let Scott Greene know ([email protected]).

6. Once the form is complete, the system will automatically send a swab kit to your residence, with a self-addressed, returned envelope.

7. Urgent: As soon as you receive the swab kit in the mail, immediately swab and mail off the envelope so your results will be in the National Marrow Donor Registry as soon as possible. It can take up to 6 weeks to tissue type, so the earlier you send in your kit, the better.

Thank you for your participation and commitment.

Questions?

Call or email us and we will be happy to assist you:

National Institutes of Health Marrow Donor Program

Call between 9am – 5 pm to speak to someone at

Email anytime:

[email protected] or

[email protected]

NIH absorbs the $52 typing fee, however donations are accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solli4me
Would anyone like a hamster? I already asked Reed but he politely declined....
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to SaturnSkyDude
Last year I was diagnosed with Leukemia and have been in remission since December 2008. I was told I cannot give blood or donate organs so I took my organ donor statement off my drivers license. Does anyone know if I can still donate anything ?. I have been donating my time by talking with other Leukemia patients and have the link below to bring awareness to the L&L Society

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society

Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console Cover
Enjoying Another Cancer Free Day
https://bethematch.org/
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSkyDude View Post
Last year I was diagnosed with Leukemia and have been in remission since December 2008. I was told I cannot give blood or donate organs so I took my organ donor statement off my drivers license. Does anyone know if I can still donate anything ?. I have been donating my time by talking with other Leukemia patients and have the link below to bring awareness to the L&L Society

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Congrat's to you on your remission and your brave battle with Leukemia...we lost our 17 year old nephew to osteocarcoma...he had so much life to live...you may want to see if you would be able to donate skin for burn victims or possibly your cornea's??? I am an organ donor and proud to say so.
Stay well.

'09 Evening Blue 2.4/Auto/Premium Trim Pkg/Chrome Wheels/DDM Street Backbone/3rd Brake Light Decal/R/L Exhaust
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSKYTED View Post
Congrat's to you on your remission and your brave battle with Leukemia...we lost our 17 year old nephew to osteocarcoma...he had so much life to live...you may want to see if you would be able to donate skin for burn victims or possibly your cornea's??? I am an organ donor and proud to say so.
Stay well.
Thank you for the kind words. Sorry to hear about your nephew. I have my monthly checkup on 9/3/09. I will ask my doctor what he thinks I may be able to donate.

5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Wow....this is really touching to see so many people on here and the ongoing demand and need for life, after Roberts death in April of 2007, much much changed in my life and my family's life. Without hesitation I walked away from my career, and a long held dream of a profession to cross over and enter into Roberts dream and vision. While at times it is still really difficult, because we miss him so much, 27 years we are certainly thankful for.....so very thankful, but at times I cannot resist to think about all he would be doing if he were still here with us...any ways .....one of the most important decisions by far was becoming an organ donor...like many of you have stated before...whatever is left of me for Gods sake come an get it. It may further anothers life, dream and vision...
sorta rambling here....good night all and God bless for carrying on the message and vision.
Sincerely,
Rebekkah Pennington
ps. donatelife.org will sign you up in your state of residence

WindRestrictor®
Use code "Forum Member" save 10%.
Windrestrictor®
Click Here For Info
972-487-5987
post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Restrictor View Post
ps. donatelife.org will sign you up in your state of residence
Awesome!

Don't forget to have the uncomfortable conversation with your loved ones, folks. If the time comes you won't be in a position to clarify anything and their not knowing your intentions could prevent the last good thing you can do for someone else. Signing up for things and checking the box on your license are great, but the people you would expect to be around NEED TO KNOW this is what you would want.

If you've already had the conversation, it never hurts to toss out a reminder either.

Quote:
Are you an organ donor?
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
First 2000 Sr. Member

Some friends I'm really close to lost a dear friend this week. Kara was 17 years old and in her senior year of high school. She was excited about going to college in the fall and was days away from performing as the dance lead in the school production of The Boys From Syracuse when she suddenly had a seizure and slipped into a coma. Things went from bad to worse, and her parents had to make the horrible decision to remove life support.

I went to her wake tonight and Kara's father told me they'd been informed that her organs have helped 8 people so far, including two newborns who otherwise had no chance. Kara's living on in this way seemed to be the biggest solace available to her family. I thanked him for making the decision and told him a bit about Robert and what he was able to do with the 10 years another family gave him.

I know the topic is an unpleasant one, but please discuss it with your loved ones while you can- even if you wouldn't want to try to help others. Don't assume you've used up all of your parts- the doctors will decide that, and don't assume your family will make the choice you'd prefer. The odds of it coming up are pretty slim, but your loved ones being aware of your wishes will comfort them if they ever have to make that decision.

Quote:
Are you an organ donor?
post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
New year bump for this wonderful thread. Thank you so much for posting it up Reed. Roberts Birthday was the 27th of December. An organ donor from Houston allowed us to spend 10 more years with Robert when his liver failed at 17 years old. We're so thankful.

Stephen

WindRestrictor®
Use code "Forum Member" save 10%.
Windrestrictor®
Click Here For Info
972-487-5987
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:26 PM
First 2000 Sr. Member

This is the first time (I think) that I have posted to solely bump a thread so here ya go

5 Speed LSD
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna

Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in